Pump outs

bag 'o' bones

Featured Posts

Mentioned elsewhere on the forum is boaters avoiding having to pay for pump outs by lifting a drain cover.

This what I understand correct me if I am wrong:

The contents of a cassette can be disposed of free of charge at any BW disposal point.

You have to pay to pump out presumably because this involves the use of someone elses pump and pipe work.

DIY pump outs are free of charge if disposing into the cassette gully.

Pumping into a foul sewer, or emptying a cassete is also ok (lets face that is where anything disposed at a BW point ends up anyway) if frowned upon due to 'elf and safety.

Pumping into a storm drain is a definate no no for obvious reasons.

:lol:

Pumping into a foul sewer, or emptying a cassete is also ok (lets face that is where anything disposed at a BW point ends up anyway) if frowned upon due to 'elf and safety.

It may be okay, from a hygene point of view (though there is a question of rinsing the equipment and tank), but you may well be committing trespass or, if the sewer inspection cover is in the public highway, performing unauthorised works, tampering with utilities equipment and can you distinguish between the different utilities inspection covers?

I think that if you have a pump out (I do) you should either pay for them or self pump into approved disposal facilities!

I agree.

Mentioned elsewhere on the forum is boaters avoiding having to pay for pump outs by lifting a drain cover.

This what I understand correct me if I am wrong:

The contents of a cassette can be disposed of free of charge at any BW disposal point.

You have to pay to pump out presumably because this involves the use of someone elses pump and pipe work.

DIY pump outs are free of charge if disposing into the cassette gully.

Pumping into a storm drain is a definate no no for obvious reasons.

:lol:

I have a pump out facility at Stowe Hill. The septic tank holds around 800 gallons and costs £100 to have emptied. It is a facility, not a money making machine. I find it amusing that people will buy a boat for anything between £35k and £150k and then bother about spending £13 (in my case) every so often on having their loo tank emptied. They'll happily spend £30 up the pub imbibing the ingredients to fill it with, plus the £25 take away curry. Why don't they bowhaul their boat when cruising to save a few quid's worth of diesel too?

I have a pump out facility at Stowe Hill. The septic tank holds around 800 gallons and costs £100 to have emptied. It is a facility, not a money making machine. I find it amusing that people will buy a boat for anything between £35k and £150k and then bother about spending £13 (in my case) every so often on having their loo tank emptied. They'll happily spend £30 up the pub imbibing the ingredients to fill it with, plus the £25 take away curry. Why don't they bowhaul their boat when cruising to save a few quid's worth of diesel too?

well said .

Funnily enough or not I have come across folk doing just that recently.

It is not just about the cost but, about the access at the right time and place and, not being dependant upon marinas and/or being prepared for 'anything'.

I got my SPO kit not to save money but because the boat had been stuck from gearbox failure on the Llangolen with a nearly full, then full, then overflowing through temp tank, when I could do nowt about it. I hoped/hope in time however to recover the capital costs from being able to use the equipment from time to time when convenient and legal and doing a better job than one gets commercially.

I would have been happy for the boat to have not had a holding tank but it does and as long as it works I will not change it. As long as I have it I will endeavour to use the SPO kit.

We have a pump out and accept that we have to pay to use the appropriate facilities to empty our holding tank. We have no SPO equipment aboard and have no intention of buying any - the whole point of a pump out tank is that you don't have to revisit your poo isn't it? From what I understand SPO runs the risk of spraying your effluant everywhere :lol:

We do have a portapotti as an emergency stand by - fortunately we've not had to use that option - mainly because we'd both rather walk a mile (or more) to the nearest place with a loo.

Haven't we had this conversation very recently?

We have a pump out and accept that we have to pay to use the appropriate facilities to empty our holding tank. We have no SPO equipment aboard and have no intention of buying any - the whole point of a pump out tank is that you don't have to revisit your poo isn't it? From what I understand SPO runs the risk of spraying your effluant everywhere :lol:

We do have a portapotti as an emergency stand by - fortunately we've not had to use that option - mainly because we'd both rather walk a mile (or more) to the nearest place with a loo.

I do not think that pump out tanks came about for reason you state. I would guess that it was more about lasting longer without the need for emptying given the sparcity of opportunities for doing so.

Current provision for SPOs leaves a lot to be desired as few Sanny Stations have anything better than a hole to tie an SPO hose in to. One reason why the debate and your contribution is useful whether it be one way or the other as BW needs to make its mind up one way or the other also. Probably, the way these things go (and with it seems increasing complaints about Elsans and SPOs in that context) it will abandon any such provision and leave it to the marinas.

I do not think that pump out tanks came about for reason you state. I would guess that it was more about lasting longer without the need for emptying given the sparcity of opportunities for doing so.

Current provision for SPOs leaves a lot to be desired as few Sanny Stations have anything better than a hole to tie an SPO hose in to. One reason why the debate and your contribution is useful whether it be one way or the other as BW needs to make its mind up one way or the other also. Probably, the way these things go (and with it seems increasing complaints about Elsans and SPOs in that context) it will abandon any such provision and leave it to the marinas.

Hmm - point well made. We have found a scarcity of pump out facilities on our journeys. Nicholsons point us to hire boat firms but if you arrive there when they're sorting their hire boats our they won't have time, if you arrive there when they're not they don't have the staff. We've found quite a few boat yards that are in Nicholsons no longer exist when we get there (sometimes after quite a lengthy diversion). I don't know the answer - I still refuse to contemplate SPO so BW providing that makes no difference to us - we just have to find lots of McDonalds to poo in their toilets and not eat their food (oh what joy that brings :lol: )

Hmm - point well made. We have found a scarcity of pump out facilities on our journeys. Nicholsons point us to hire boat firms but if you arrive there when they're sorting their hire boats our they won't have time, if you arrive there when they're not they don't have the staff. We've found quite a few boat yards that are in Nicholsons no longer exist when we get there (sometimes after quite a lengthy diversion). I don't know the answer - I still refuse to contemplate SPO so BW providing that makes no difference to us - we just have to find lots of McDonalds to poo in their toilets and not eat their food (oh what joy that brings :lol: )

I agree that one has to prevail upon all the other opportunities that offer themselves to avoid using your own facilities because that brings on the neccessity to do something withe them later rather than sooner. I must admit that when we had a small Springer with chemical toilet we were not averse to burning waste wrapped in newspaper rather than using the onboard facilities. I always felt it made the ashes more useful (and safe) to the environment they were disposed of to.

Also known as a 'McShit'

If, when confronted by an employee, you falsly indicate that you will buy something after using the toilet, that is a 'McShit with lies'

Have to agree with you there Ange.

We pay for pump outs where necessary although we do have provision to pump out at sea or in open waters or waters where pumping out of toilets is allowed should the oppurtunity arise. We make every effort to use land based facilities where avaliable (great excuse for going to the pub) and have found that we can make our 16 gallon holding tank last about 4 weekends if we use facilities ashore. We dont have an emergency standby as this is normally called the pub and we cant really carry one of those aboard Cal!!!

At Greenberfield yesterday, I saw a cow cooling off in the canal using a simplified 'bucket and chuck it' method, sort of just the chuck it. And what about the ducks and fishes.... perhaps we should stop complaining and go back to nature. :lol:

Guest wanted
Have to agree with you there Ange.

We pay for pump outs where necessary although we do have provision to pump out at sea or in open waters or waters where pumping out of toilets is allowed should the oppurtunity arise. We make every effort to use land based facilities where avaliable (great excuse for going to the pub) and have found that we can make our 16 gallon holding tank last about 4 weekends if we use facilities ashore. We dont have an emergency standby as this is normally called the pub and we cant really carry one of those aboard Cal!!!

I know that sea bogs are the norm and that i'm sure the effects have been looked into, but dosen't it feel a bit weird, effectively dumping straight into the sea? Not an attack on you but it just dosen't seem right to me. I'm guessing that the sea is so big that it can handle it, but if every ocean going vessle is at it then surley it must have some effect?

Luctor, do you want flies with that? :lol:

Edited by wanted

I know that sea bogs are the norm and that i'm sure the effects have been looked into, but dosen't it feel a bit weird, effectively dumping straight into the sea? Not an attack on you but it just dosen't seem right to me. I'm guessing that the sea is so big that it can handle it, but if every ocean going vessle is at it then surley it must have some effect?

Luctor, do you want flies with that? :lol:

The Mediterranean Sea will eventually be infilled by all the outfalls from the holiday resorts so a bit from a boat will not matter till then!

No :lol:

Guest wanted

I took a sudden notion

To go down to the ocean

I'd got my sun-tan lotion

My flippers and my mask

In proper distribution

Of fully-formed ablutions

Formed an ocean of pollution

In which I daren’t bask

Some turds were teeny-tiny

And some were big and shiny

But they all fucked up the briney

In which I dipped my toe

If you go swimming in the shite-us

You'll get worse than dermatitis

From the sea of grey detritus

Where the sewage ebbs and flows

There's no respite

From the cess-pit

No shelter from the pong

The poor old ocean

Is full of motions

Where the hell did we go wrong?

Like a lamb off to the slaughter

Pored myself a glass of water

I failed to spot I'd caught a

Little creature in my cup

I was well and truly bolleaux-ed

From the fires of hell that followed

Twas the cup of life I'd swallowed

And it almost did me up

Something coming

Through the plumbing

That should not be there at all

The glass is brimming

And things are swimming

And quite frankly, I'm appalled

I was a very hungry fella

I defrosted my paella

Came down with Salmonella

Three weeks intensive care

They failed to send technicians in

To check the air-conditioning

Which was unfortunately transmissioning

A case of Legionnaires

There's a malaise

In the mayonnaise

There's a poo-poo in the prawn

Where we missed them

In the system

Little germs are being born

There's no respite

From the cess-pit

There's no shelter from the pong

Where the hell did we go wrong?

Ian Dury :lol:

For this very reason I always phone ahead to see if the pump out facility is still there, operational, available, saves time and worry!

It sounds strange but recently even with a hire boat out for a week we have had to find somewhere for a pump out, but maybe not. When we first started we had simple foot controlled flush loos, now we have super dooper loos with a 2 flush system which must use loads of water which result in the tank filling up much quicker. Equally they use an awful lot more water.

As to SPO, we had the misfortune to be taking on water at the same time as a private boat was doing a SPO and well the smell was something else!!

Julie