Droitwich

STIG

Featured Posts

Nobody told these people:

125592278.jpg

Barge Canal Lock at junction with River Severn 6th June.

Tim

The canal is largely useable but dredging not yet complete and several snagging issues to be resolved before handover by the contractors. It is possible that BW allowed a supervised passage, or that the boats simply went up to the lock entrance. The pound above that lock was empty in may, as the lock above has no bywash so water only reaches the pound through the paddles

• 2 weeks later...

I worked on this last year as a volunteer and its going to be ages yet, some of the locks are sorted down near Salwarpe and theres finally water in the canal, but I saw a little error :lol: the quadrant was put in slightly wrong and is going the wrong way.

The river has to be canalised and the new part from the rugby club into town and the barge lock is no where near ready

There's a lock like that in Stratford, it has a cranked beam, which would line up perfectly with the quadrant on the floor

Richard

Think there is a couple on the T&M too, wished at the time I'd taken a photo....

Problem is Richard, thats a nice shiny new lock gate and beam

Well it could be the angle but I can't see how length wise it would allow enough leverage to open and close the gate....surely something such as a cranked beam fabricated in steel is yet to be added...??

This then would be just like the ones on the T&M I referred to...

Edited by NB No Deadlines

Problem is Richard, thats a nice shiny new lock gate and beam

But not a new bridge or lock chamber I guess. Once the bridge is where it is, there's no option but to use a cranked beam.

Richard

The quadrant is in the wrong place as from above, think about it, its the wrong way round?

as as for the length of the beam, I would also struggle to open or close it, but it kinda sums up the management of the project in general, the beams seems to have been chopped while in place

Edited by Jim Jam

The quadrant is in the wrong place as from above, think about it, its the wrong way round?

as as for the length of the beam, I would also struggle to open or close it, but it kinda sums up the management of the project in general, the beams seems to have been chopped while in place

It's not in the wrong place

- It's hard to explain but imagine a fabricated extension to the beam coming towards you and slightly to the right of the photo, and then kicking off to the right again to finish at the top end of the quadrant with just enough room for someone to get between the new bridge and the end of the extension. It will work perfectly - as the ones do on the T&M.

If you reuse the existing chamber, which it looks like they have, and someone has replaced a footbridge with a concrete bridge, which they have, you can't have a full length beam any more. So you have to have a cranked beam (not fitted yet) which matches the quadrant perfectly.

I'm sorry but I can't see what is wrong with what your picture shows. There are many other lock beams like that because of the same issues.

Richard

I know exactly what you mean about cranked arms, there are several on the staffs canal. :lol:

Think about it, I have just used google maps to check. That lock gate is going down a lock, so the quadrant needs to be mirrored to be correct, I think thee PM mis-read the plans slightly wrong :lol:

By the way, that quadrant is brand new last year, I watched em build it

Edited by Jim Jam

yes I do

no it hasn't

wait a year... Droitwich from Severn late Summer, from the W and B, another year

We want to do it as well, in fact it was one of our options for our May 2010 trip, but fortunately we realised early enough that it wouldn't be open in 2010. To be honest, IF it does open throughout in 2011, I'd be tempted to leave it until 2012 - just to give it time to bed in so to speak. Last time we did a newly opened canal, it was the Huddersfield shallow Narrow... and that was hard going even for 8 of us...

• 5 months later...

We want to do it as well, in fact it was one of our options for our May 2010 trip, but fortunately we realised early enough that it wouldn't be open in 2010. To be honest, IF it does open throughout in 2011, I'd be tempted to leave it until 2012 - just to give it time to bed in so to speak. Last time we did a newly opened canal, it was the Huddersfield shallow Narrow... and that was hard going even for 8 of us...

We're hoping it might be possible by August as we are coming down that way in 2011.

The latest (as at 20/12/10) is that bollard replacement at Hanbury 3 locks is in hand and work has started on the quadrants there. (While at work there I was told by a BW worker that lock 2 is a little narrow and that boats >6'10" beam may need to check things out beforehand).

From Hanbury Wharf the new cut is watered down to lock 7. Just above the lock the contractors have placed a bund. There are submersible pumps here and about 300 m of 30cm piping draining through the Swan Drive bridge hole into the Salwarpe. The bed of the river is quite dry now for, I guess, construction of a weir and dredging down towards the town centre.

I've heard two different opening dates for the connection with the barge canal-April and June 2011 respectively.

The relevant pubs are the Sun and Eagle at Hanbury, the Railway at Netherwich Basin and the Gardeners' Arms at Vines Park.

Edited by Giggetty

Okay, I'm the bloke that signs the cheques, so this is about as accurate as it can be.

The intention is an April opening (no ceremony) although if the hard winter continues this may go back.

I am currently holding onto the 10% retainer, as the grant is 90% spent, and the last 10% is held back until completion. I expect to pay this in May or June.

If it isn't open by July they'll have egg on their face, in the form of having to cancel a Royal visit.

I cruised the barge Canal in September (one of the privileges that goes with signing the cheques), it's not very long, but it's a gem.