Some thoughts on canal navigation

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

By far the busiest section of canal that we traversed on our return from Lapworth was the southern section of the Oxford Canal between Napton Junction ('Wigrams Turn') and Cropredy where we met dozens of boats coming down from the Banbury direction and had to pull over twice to let faster boats past - one of which was a very smartly presented Mel Davis tug style boat that seemed to have little difficulty with the depth of water (or lack of it!) and negotiating the various tight bends. For the most part, the hired boats were well controlled but the steerers of some of the privately owned boats performed some fascinating tricks. For example one came straight at us with 'beeping' his horn - we stopped dead in the water but he hit us, almost head on, with an almighty bang! Without wishing to point out the disadvantages of attempting to ram 'Alnwick' I subsequently enquired (as politely as possible) why he had felt such a manoeuvre necessary - the answer was that he was trying to avoid the branches of an overhanging tree! He did not achieve this objective because his boat seemed to bounce off us and it came to rest quite firmly in the bushes and aground to boot! Had he slowed down he might have found that we could have passed quite easily.

Although many of the boats coming the other way, passed by quite nicely there were occasional dramas where we met boats at blind bends and bridge 'oles - admittedly, I got it wrong once or twice but I know this section of the canal very well and it isn't easy handling a heavy boat especially when the water levels are lower than normal. For these reasons I always expect to meet a boat coming the other way on blind bends and bridge 'oles - so I slow down accordingly and get ready to stop if necessary - the latter because I anticipate that the other steerer may get it wrong and, in panic, put their boat directly in my intended path. I also slow down when approaching another boat because, I know that where the canal is shallow at the sides, passing with too much power on will 'take their water' and may put them aground. Similarly, I know that if my boat gets caught up in the mud, then easing off the power is often all that is needed to retain steerage and control. All of this seems sensible and logical.

What I do not understand is why so many boaters, these days, seem to navigate with their engines screaming away at maximum revolutions - they attempt to navigate bends and bridge 'oles as if they are only able to steer under full power - as a result they often charge straight on leaving their mark in the canal banks and on the bridges. Why cant they just slow down and enjoy the experience?

the answer was that he was trying to avoid the branches of an overhanging tree!

can never understand these people why do they expect other people to move out of there way so they don't scratch the boat. If they are that worried they should stay in there marinas.

can never understand these people why do they expect other people to move out of there way so they don't scratch the boat. If they are that worried they should stay in there marinas.

It isnt always as simple as that as we have already found out in other topics. Minimum achieveable speed in one boat is not the same as in another. This is of course no ticket to tear arse around causing havoc in your wake but some understanding from others also doesnt go amiss.

It isnt always as simple as that as we have already found out in other topics. Minimum achieveable speed in one boat is not the same as in another. This is of course no ticket to tear arse around causing havoc in your wake but some understanding from others also doesnt go amiss.

Don't understand your point!! If the boater is worried about scratching his boat on overhanging tree then he should stay in marina or else if he sees a overhanging tree on his/her side of the canal and a boat coming the other way just hang back until the other boat has passed the hanging tree.

>>Snippity-snip>>

What I do not understand is why so many boaters, these days, seem to navigate with their engines screaming away at maximum revolutions - they attempt to navigate bends and bridge 'oles as if they are only able to steer under full power - as a result they often charge straight on leaving their mark in the canal banks and on the bridges. Why cant they just slow down and enjoy the experience?

S'funny that every winter when there is snow on the road - one will witness a large number of motorists attempt to drive, particularly up inclines - with engine revving it's heart out, and back wheels spinning furiously - - -

- - - almost inevitably coming to grief

I wonder if they are the same peeps that adopt the 'hit & run' boating technique?

Don't understand your point!! If the boater is worried about scratching his boat on overhanging tree then he should stay in marina or else if he sees a overhanging tree on his/her side of the canal and a boat coming the other way just hang back until the other boat has passed the hanging tree.

It was in reply to the OP's question, sorry quoted the wrong one

Spent a really pleasant week on this stretch quite recently. We'd been following a hire boat for some time who had difficulty negotiating bridge holes and other obstructions. Eventually I asked to pass which he allowed and we sailed merrily on our way. I seem to recollect that this was by the sucken barge and looking back he was having a major problem with that and oncoming boats. He eventually dropped from sight. Strange that despite our speed advantage whilst waiting at the next lock flight (napton?) who should roll up but our now american friends proof that you can gain very little on a narrow shallow canal.

Spent a really pleasant week on this stretch quite recently. We'd been following a hire boat for some time who had difficulty negotiating bridge holes and other obstructions. Eventually I asked to pass which he allowed and we sailed merrily on our way. I seem to recollect that this was by the sucken barge and looking back he was having a major problem with that and oncoming boats. He eventually dropped from sight. Strange that despite our speed advantage whilst waiting at the next lock flight (napton?) who should roll up but our now american friends proof that you can gain very little on a narrow shallow canal.

Indeed, we caught both of the boats that i allowed to pass - one was just mooring up above Claydon Locks and the other was going down the locks in front of us! :lol:

Isn't it about time that we had another thread complaining about all those shiny boats that never leave their marinas?

:lol:

Isn't it about time that we had another thread complaining about all those shiny boats that never leave their marinas?

Wouldn't it be better if the marinas were not connected to the canals? That would save them from soiling their shiny boats with dirty canal water . . .

- the answer was that he was trying to avoid the branches of an overhanging tree!

Thats funny, most boats coming the other way when meeting Victoria head straight for the nearest tree and stay there until I pass with many feet of usuable water between us!

I think there are two things to this. First of all, few boats seem to be prop'ed properly these days and need many revvs just to move, or the owners are unsure why there is a lot of vibration on the tiller and the engine is working harder than it was...

The other is that I think many people think you can only steer with power on. I do alot of my manourvering out of gear to help reduce the speed of the boat. A couple of people have mentioned their surprise to me!

...oh and other thing, people think higher engine speed equals higher speed. It might look faster, but after doing many miles with a GPS I can say you rarely get any extra speed once your wash starts to break, and can actually go slower if you put too much on.

Cheers,

Mike

Wouldn't it be better if the marinas were not connected to the canals? That would save them from soiling their shiny boats with dirty canal water . . .

Well it might be if you didn't moor in one....but if you do....?

Even if I'm walking down the street rather than steering the boat on the Southern Oxford, why is it always me who gives way and ends up getting grounded and inconvenienced?

There are some really arrogant 'boaters' on the system. I don't wave to them though.....or even say hello.

Martyn

as a result they often charge straight on leaving their mark in the canal banks and on the bridges. Why cant they just slow down and enjoy the experience?
a boat came tearing past me the other week at kingswood junction and then tryed to turn left onto the stratford canal, no way could he make the turn, so he ended up stopping about 4 boat lengths past the junction and had to reverse :-D Edited by KeithL

I was watching a nice shiny boat and the man at the tiller was using his bow thruster , lots and lots of short bursts , i could not work out what he was trying to achieve with this use or what manuvoure he was trying to carry out , at the time he was in a wide lock with another boat and could only move inches one way or the other.

It looked to me as if he was doing his best to try and stop his boat touching the boat he was sharing with but at the same time putting himself against the side wall which would surely scratch or pass more dirt onto him than the other boat , it all made no sense to me so i commented to the skipper that i had never seen anyone else making use of a bow thruster while in a lock chamber and asked him what it was achieving , he turned away and would not answer and seemed upset i should even ask.

Another shiny boat hung back so he would not have to share the lock and after putting his centre rope on a bollard to hold his boat steady instructed his wife to lift the paddle slowly at his instruction , i swear the ratchet would click just once and he would throw his hand up to stop his wife lifting the paddle further and all this was going on with a line of boats waiting to come down.

The wife seemed to be acutely aware this rigmorale was holding things up and the crews waiting to descend probably understood she was being instructed by a numpty and were patient , i never seen a lock take so long to fill.

I now leave my boat when i see boats waiting and go and watch the goings on at the lock side ,its great entertainment and you can even join in with the odd comment to wind things up.

I like to look after my boat in fact I had it repainted this year mainly because I decided that I wanted a new colour. As a single handed CCer I get loads of scratches but find a few minutes every now and again with a pot of paint works marvels!!!

Edited by cotswoldsman

excellent idea - less danger of the canals becoming overcrowded. and let's not complain about the marina sitters. think if they were all out cruising. particularly busy areas like the s oxford. they already queue three or four deep to use the locks.

lock 'em away, that's what i say.

and re the lowest achievable speed issue. surely if your boat will not steer reasonably below 3.5 mph on a system of narrow and still narrower, not to mention shallow, canals with additional navigational difficulties and a blanket 4mph speed limit then perhaps, and i only say perhaps, that system is not the ideal place to be. i say this whilst being fully cognisant of the fact that in our cruiser days and before we bought a more appropriate engine, we occasionally voyaged the canals powered by a 2 stroke motor that had difficulty doing less than 3 mph. great on rivers and open water, but rather hairy on the cut

cheers

nigel

PS. i don't really want to see a ghetto system. so nobody jump down my throat please. (god, i'm a coward, aint i?).

......The wife seemed to be acutely aware this rigmorale was holding things up......

If more boats were to leave their marinas, all would have to lock efficiently and cruise at a realistic speed or, there would be gridlock.

But then again, there already is on the Trent & Mersey/4 counties ring..... :lol:

Thats funny, most boats coming the other way when meeting Victoria head straight for the nearest tree and stay there until I pass with many feet of usuable water between us!

I think there are two things to this. First of all, few boats seem to be prop'ed properly these days and need many revvs just to move, or the owners are unsure why there is a lot of vibration on the tiller and the engine is working harder than it was...

The other is that I think many people think you can only steer with power on. I do alot of my manourvering out of gear to help reduce the speed of the boat. A couple of people have mentioned their surprise to me!

...oh and other thing, people think higher engine speed equals higher speed. It might look faster, but after doing many miles with a GPS I can say you rarely get any extra speed once your wash starts to break, and can actually go slower if you put too much on.

Cheers,

Mike

All good points - especially the last one! We use our Garmin GPS mainly to measure the distance travelled but it also provides a useful insight into our cruising speed. With our engine running at a constant 300 rpm our speed can vary considerably - for example on the GU between Calcutt and Napton the display sometimes showed more than 4.0 mph with little sign of any wash - the same engine speed on the Oxford summit pound rarely produced more than 3.4 mph and occasionally I had to cut the engine speed to avoid making a wash. When I cut the engine speed, the speed of the boat through the water was hardly affected. The shape and nature of the canal seems to make a huge difference - I don't think the GU is necessarily much deeper these days but the deeper sections of the canal are probably much wider whereas on the Oxford the deepest section is often a narrow channel that is barely wide enough for two boats to pass.