Weeeeed Killing

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hi

I have been asked by my local Landlord (pub) if I can get him some red diesel. When asked what for he said it's good for killing weeds. I asked does is have to be red and he said yes.

Anyone else heard this before?

I haven't.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

Why would you fork out for white diesel for domestic purposes?

If it's really too difficult a favour, just tell him where the nearest boatyard is and let the poor sod sort it out himself.

Who said anything about it being too difficult. Maybe the heat is getting to you.

I was asking if anyone had heard of this 'weed killing' revelation, that's all.

Really, some people.

Martyn

I'm not in the best of moods, but surely tax is sufficient reason to use red diesel when it is legal to do so? I don't get why this is such an issue for you, that's all.

Listen carefully, I will say this only once (again).

It is not an issue. Please read the whole thread from 't' start. I have been asked to get hole of RED DIESEL for my locals gun'nor as he believes it is good for getting rid of weeds in HIS garden. He added that RED DIESEL is better as there must be summat in the dye.

You might not be in the best of moods, but hey! lets read correctly.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

Come on Martyn, you're taking this far too seriously.

You really need to ask the question on a gardening forum. Apparently they've been arguing over the 60:40 greenhouse/cloche split for months now.

Not you as well. No I'm not, I'm not, really I'm not.

I don't need to ask this question on any forum for that matter. Just thought, incorrectly, that as most of us have use of red diesel on a day to day basis that perhaps someone may have heard of this possible 'old wives tale' using red diesel to kill off weeds.

This has got a little complicated it seems. I'm not asking whether it is tax effective or too much trouble for me to help a fella in need.

I am though going to mention your idea for the flame thrower. I don't even like gardening.

Martyn

Sloshing diesel around the garden doesn't sound the most environmentally sound method of killing weeds. I have never heard of it before. I would have thought it might well be an offence to pour oil on to the ground. It certainly is to pour it down a drain. It would certainly be illegal from the point of view that diesel is not licenced for use as a weedkiller. I don't think I would want to help or encourage anyone using diesel to kill weeds.

When you buy diesel at a canal-side outlets you make the declaration as to what boat it is for, and for what boating purposes you intend to use it - and pay appropriate tax.

I'm not convinced the tax man would be too happy if he found out that once you had said what it was for, you were actually supplying to someone else, for non-boating purposes.

Personally I'd make polite excuses, and not get involved.

I don't know for certain, but I would have though as Natalie suggests that at best tipping gas oil onto the soil is going to be fairly environmentally damaging, and might just even be illegal ?

When you buy diesel at a canal-side outlets you make the declaration as to what boat it is for, and for what boating purposes you intend to use it - and pay appropriate tax.

I'm not convinced the tax man would be too happy if he found out that once you had said what it was for, you were actually supplying to someone else, for non-boating purposes.

I don't know for certain, but I would have though as Natalie suggests that at best tipping gas oil onto the soil is going to be fairly environmentally damaging, and might just even be illegal ?

it is most certainly illegal.

Hooray, at last. Some good answers that actually confirm my own thoughts.

I did say i would try and get him some last weekend but was having second thoughts, and waited until I asked on here to see if it was 'normal' to do this.

Thanks to all that answered my actual question.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

I have seen the effects of using diesel sprayed on weeds to kill them, big brown circles where every thing is killed, looks like every dog in the area has been visiting. If he really want to kill the weeds and leave the grass intact he could try a couple of applications of "weed and feed" (not the quickest method but does work after a while). The alternatives are something like Glyphosate (roundup) applied directly to the weeds, which can be bought at garden centres, or a selective weedkiller which can be sprayed over the grass and will kill the weeds and leave the grass intact ( this may require professional application)

The other thing to consider is that if this is the pub garden and he sprays diesel around, there may be a number of complaints from people with damaged clothes.

No, I knew that, I was joking about someone misinterpreting your "as a matter of interest" query for something more serious.
Hi Carlt....

Through clear mind I can now see where you were coming from. Sorry.

It just enraged me that someone can actually get the wrong interpretation just by reading a few lines and having a go.

My veiw is that this has now run it's course.

Martyn

I think you are correct. I know of a company who used to lay tarmac who used diesel for this purpose; seemingly killed everything. They did it when nobody was about though, which suggests it is a dodgy method.