K&A - journey info

Billy72

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am considering moving my boat from Uxbridge to the K&A. The thinking is to get the boat out into the countryside and enjoy the views! Couple of questions that it would be great to get answers for:

How long should I allow to get onto the K&A from Uxbridge / bottom of the GU?

I have a 37ft narrow boat - any pointers on taking it up the Thames from Brentford to Reading?

I'm currently looking at Frouds Bridge Marina as a mooring option - it's about an hour from my house (West London) and seems like its it a nice spot - any reports? Alternatives?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Billy

Hi all,

I am considering moving my boat from Uxbridge to the K&A. The thinking is to get the boat out into the countryside and enjoy the views! Couple of questions that it would be great to get answers for:

How long should I allow to get onto the K&A from Uxbridge / bottom of the GU?

I have a 37ft narrow boat - any pointers on taking it up the Thames from Brentford to Reading?

I'm currently looking at Frouds Bridge Marina as a mooring option - it's about an hour from my house (West London) and seems like its it a nice spot - any reports? Alternatives?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Billy

I have just checked my log, and it took me 4 days single handed (apart from the tidal bit when a friend accompanied me)

Denham to Brentford - 7 3/4 hours

Brentford to Hampton Court - 2 1/2 hours (allowing for wait at Brentford for the tide, which was early afternoon )

Hampton Court to Boveney - 7 hours

Boveney to Sonning - 7 hours (nicer moorings than Reading) Sonning to K & A (Reading) - 3/4 hour

Edited by David Schweizer

6 hrs from Reading to Frouds Bridge with a crew a couple of hours longer if your single handed (not really recomended personally aldermaston swing bridge is a real pig on your own)

Frouds Bridge is a nice place, very quiet and a few pubs in the area. No livaboards allowed and dogs to be on a lead at all times. Up until now its been very secure. If the river floods access is restricted but the Kennet is quick up and down so restrictions are minimal. The 'day' cruising is a little restricted in the area, turn 'left' towards Newbury & it's swingbridge, lock, swingbridge, lock, lock etc turn right towards Reading and it's lock, swingbridge, lock, swingbridge etc etc. But as I said 6 hrs to the Thames one way and Newbury the other get you to some really nice cruising.

Good luck

Paul

Be sure you understand the tide and timing issues around joining the tidal bit of the Thames from Brentford to Richmond, and when to pass over Richmond barrier to avoid the £5 fee for the lock. After that it's a relatively easy and interesting run, just watch out for the rowers and don't assume they've noticed you. The Flowerpot pub at Aston is boat friendly and does good food.

Lots of good info on the Port of London website.

http://www.pla.co.uk/display_fixedpage.cfm/id/2253

6 hrs from Reading to Frouds Bridge with a crew a couple of hours longer if your single handed (not really recomended personally aldermaston swing bridge is a real pig on your own)

Frouds Bridge is a nice place, very quiet and a few pubs in the area. No livaboards allowed and dogs to be on a lead at all times. Up until now its been very secure. If the river floods access is restricted but the Kennet is quick up and down so restrictions are minimal. The 'day' cruising is a little restricted in the area, turn 'left' towards Newbury & it's swingbridge, lock, swingbridge, lock, lock etc turn right towards Reading and it's lock, swingbridge, lock, swingbridge etc etc. But as I said 6 hrs to the Thames one way and Newbury the other get you to some really nice cruising.

Good luck

Paul

Thanks Paul,

If Frouds bridge is a bit heavy duty for day cruising (locks and swing bridge) - can you recommend any marinas beyond, though not too far beyond Newbury?

Thanks

Billy

Good luck

Paul

Why? it is Electrically operated, you just have to enlist the help of a waiting motorist.

I have done the entire length of the K & A single handed six times, and only once have I had any hassle from a waiting motorist, the best ones to ask are tradesmen in white vans. they are usually more than happy to close the bridge as soon as you are through, so saving quite a lot of waiting time.

Edited by David Schweizer

Why? it is Electrically operated, you just have to enlist the help of a waiting motorist.

I have done the entire length of the K & A single handed six times, and only once have I had any hassle from a waiting motorist, the best ones to ask are tradesmen in white vans. they are usually more than happy to close the bridge as soon as you are through, so saving quite a lot of waiting time.

Do they give you the key back? :lol:

Sue

When the river is flowing strongly I think Woolhampton swing bridge has to be the worse, a bit hairy heading downstream and trying to keep your speed down to turn into the bridge opening, and then coming to a halt on the other side. If it is closed you have to stop just before it and moor up. Much easier travelling upstream.