Swimming in the canal

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Can't find a credible source, although I can find that particular myth repeated on many sites along with the usual myths about dissolving teeth

Coke isnt good if you spill it on car carpets. It removes the fibres from the backing :lol:

Can't find a credible source, although I can find that particular myth repeated on many sites along with the usual myths about dissolving teeth

Coca-Cola have a section of their website specifically for debunking myths. They don't specifically mention its use as a preventative for Weil's (or any other) disease but they do point out that stomach acid is considerably more acidic than Coke on this page.

Tony

Swimming in the canal is one thing, but on Sunday I saw a (large) group of teenagers jumping off a bridge into the navigation (tombstoning I think they call it?)

I was concerned as the river levels are very low at the moment and after seeing one of those real life rescue programmes where someone doing the same thing off a pier ended up paralyised from the neck down, due to the water level being so low, I was very tempted to go and (in the nicest possible concerned manner) warn them of the risk.

But as a female on my own with only a young puppy for company, the scaremongering of the media got the better of me ('why am I nervous walking on my own?' is another topic entirely!) and I walked on by.

I still wonder whether I should have reported it to the police instead, but have not heard reports of any injuries - what would anyone else have done...?

Sorry I know I've gone slightly :lol:

:lol:

Edited by Bodkin

Millie our JRT fell off the back of the boat, whilst woofing furiously at some ducks, and into the GU last week.

She had a lead and collar on but managed to slip the collar. By the time we got the boat to the bank Millie had swum ashore and was waiting for us to pick her up.

Fortunately she was none the worse for wear, but as soon as we got he back on the boat Mrs T gave her a good bath.

She didn't get weil's disease but did have a slightly upset stomach for a day.

Hasen't learnt her lesson though!!!

Edited by Ray T

I have often heard the Coke thing - but could anyone lend any logic to why a sugary drink with flavourings could do any harm to a micro-organism that can already endure gastric acid? Methinks the Coke thing is urban myth!

I think it is an urban myth too and have just spent ages looking for a link to prove it. Theory is "its's very acidic and burns the nasties up". Bloody bad idea if that is true as it would destroy the natural bacteria in your stomach and you digestion will be in big trouble.

There's a nice "army" variation where you must only drink the coke flat. Why????

Richard

Your stomach may be nicely acidic, but I'm assuming the inside of your mouth and throat isn't :lol: Until, that is, you rinse it with a handy acidic carbonated beverage.

If it is an urban legend, it's certainly a very prolific one- I've heard it from, I think, 3 different sources.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Your stomach may be nicely acidic, but I'm assuming the inside of your mouth and throat isn't :lol: Until, that is, you rinse it with a handy acidic carbonated beverage.

If it is an urban legend, it's certainly a very prolific one- I've heard it from, I think, 3 different sources.

Three more sauces

I guess a quick swill round with a nice wine vinegar would also work then

Or lemon juice

or tomato ketchup

Three more sauces

I guess a quick swill round with a nice wine vinegar would also work then

Or lemon juice

or tomato ketchup

Coke contains phosphoric acid, which is also an active ingredient in TCP.