What VHS radio

Tim Doran

Featured Posts

My friend it going to have a trip up the Severn. He needs to buy a radio and has a budget for about £100 and handheld. It does not need to be the best with bells, whistle and umbrella stand, just something functional.

I have had a search but could not find something directly related to this.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Tim

My friend it going to have a trip up the Severn. He needs to buy a radio and has a budget for about £100 and handheld. It does not need to be the best with bells, whistle and umbrella stand, just something functional.

I have had a search but could not find something directly related to this.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Tim

I think you mean VHF radio.

http://www.force4.co.uk/c/77/Handheld-VHF-...CFUcA4wodtUUIKg

I have the Silva S12 waterproof, but I don't think it's very user friendly. http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Silva+S12+Hand+H...HF+Marine+Radio

Does your friend have a licence to operate VHF?

Edited by blackrose

• 7 months later...

We are may be crossing the wash this summer and I was wondering if ayone had anymore suggestions on VHF radios, good/bad, best reception ( I am a little hard of hearing ). Taking the license test ect later this winter. Bunny

We are may be crossing the wash this summer and I was wondering if ayone had anymore suggestions on VHF radios, good/bad, best reception ( I am a little hard of hearing ). Taking the license test ect later this winter. Bunny

I have an ICOM M-71

http://www.icomuk.co.uk/categoryRender.asp?categoryID=3779&productID=673&tID=647

Very pleased with it, seems to have gone up in price though . :(

Waterproof (not floating, there are some floating models), very good battery life (at least compared with my old M-12!), 6W transmitter output and decent speaker volume. Sits nicely in the hand, too.

Tim

Have been very pleased with our Icom hand held too.

Ours is Icom IC-M35, available at Force 4 Chandlery

Unlike some of the Icom models, this one is both waterproof and floating.

Has 6 watts on transmit, which is about tops for a hand-held.

It has features to boost the audio both on receive and transmit. I'm hard of hearing but have found the audio good.

There are cheaper hand-helds, and a cheap fixed set will also cost less, but I think the Icoms are probably worth paying a bit extra for.

If you want to adapt a hand-held to use an extension antenna, though, the simple adaptors are silly money, (about £15, IIRC).

Edited by alan_fincher

Do you know how far away the receiving station would be if you had to put out a distress call from the Wash?

You'll get lots of suggestions of different VHF's, depending on what people are using - a lot of canal users buy one and then that is their default recommendation.

The best thing is to read the salty boat articles for comparisons - a lot of the mags etc put them side by side and make comparisons.

Also, a lot depends on how much you want to spend for isolated usage.

I work with VHF for a living and would always use Icom for portables and Sailor for fixed sets, but neither of these makers are the cheapest.

I think I've used most of the Icom models (M12, M2, M5, etc) over the years and they are well made and durable. I've currently got an IC-M31 which I got a good deal on and its fine.

My only grouch is that it self discharges too quickly if the battery is left clipped on.

You don't say how hard of hearing you are, but its often difficult to hear the radio over the engine on a tidal run, even with decent hearing.

A way round this is either an earpiece, a remote lapel fist microphone/speaker (which I quite favour) or even a fixed speaker.