Bonkers Idea But Very Tempting

Featured Posts

BSP

Phew! Read this whole thread from start to finish just now, and at the end of it felt just incredibly pleased for you. I do hope everything works out well. We will look forward to following your travels (will you travel?) and experiences.

Do you have to work your 3 months???

Jo.

Well done BSP! :lol:

Keep posting, it's better than Coronation Street! Very best wishes for your future happiness. Today is 1 year since I packed in my last job and I took a minute to reflect on my life. No regrets at all. I hope it works out for you too.

BSP

Phew! Read this whole thread from start to finish just now, and at the end of it felt just incredibly pleased for you. I do hope everything works out well. We will look forward to following your travels (will you travel?) and experiences.

Do you have to work your 3 months???

Jo.

Yes, I'll be travelling depending on if any interesting projects come up that might aim some money my way; and will only stop when I can't afford any more diesel!

And I have to work most, but probably not all of my 3 months. My (nice) line manager said she sees no reason why I won't be able to finish in the third week of September, which is when I want to.

So hopefully, all will be good.

Yes, I'll be travelling depending on if any interesting projects come up that might aim some money my way; and will only stop when I can't afford any more diesel!

And I have to work most, but probably not all of my 3 months. My (nice) line manager said she sees no reason why I won't be able to finish in the third week of September, which is when I want to.

So hopefully, all will be good.

Well done bsp

I hope you have lots of adventures & your life opens up the way you want it to.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

A brave move but I'm sure you know in your heart it was absolutely the right one. I took a similar big brave step two and a half years ago giving up my job of 7 years which was making me thoroughly miserable. I felt at the time like I was stepping into an abyss but have never regretted it for one second. I find work for the winter and cruise for the summer - it's grand! Not much money for luxuries when I'm not working but who needs them when you've got the freedom to do the stuff you really enjoy instead of selling your soul to work.

Best of luck - keep us posted

Well done BSP - I suspect our working lives (albeit in different grant-related industries) are remarkably similar. I'd like my life back, feel enlivened; and I'd like to be lively again!

Your initial posting (and summation: bonkers idea) verbalised what I couldn't! Thanks! You mooted a brilliant idea: I actioned it quickly. Here's my experience of a few aspects of the road that could be ahead from my experience of working a three month notice period...:

1) You get blamed for all the ills...

2) You cease to care and finally work your hours because it just doesn't matter anymore (and wonder why you couldn't before!).

3) You become shocked because suddenly every else is learning to cope from others...

4) You get to advise on how to remedy the situation (s) and are seen as impartial (by SMT!)

5) You get courted because they can't afford to you leave (but can't court you because that would break policy*/%)

6) Suddenly the very people that were knocking you, worry...

7) Then the demons you've been struggling with for so long, get taken seriously....

8) ?

Like I say, three months is a long time! I've five weeks to go - very much counting. I've been dealing with 7 and now wondering what 8 is!)

You're well trained for coping, creating and canalling...don't know what stage 8 is yet. But hubbie has also quit work, annoyingly he's only got one week left. I'm watching with interest...

We are constantly tempted...but.....the future is orange: Well the Netherlands are through to the finals so for now it is! Next week it could be purple....still the boat is green, so what do I care!

Best wishes!

*not applicable for private industries....

% in private industries you just get a pay rise, you say no, they offer you another one, you say no, and repeat and repeat!

Well done BSP - I suspect our working lives (albeit in different grant-related industries) are remarkably similar. I'd like my life back, feel enlivened; and I'd like to be lively again!

Your initial posting (and summation: bonkers idea) verbalised what I couldn't! Thanks! You mooted a brilliant idea: I actioned it quickly. Here's my experience of a few aspects of the road that could be ahead from my experience of working a three month notice period...:

1) You get blamed for all the ills...

2) You cease to care and finally work your hours because it just doesn't matter anymore (and wonder why you couldn't before!).

3) You become shocked because suddenly every else is learning to cope from others...

4) You get to advise on how to remedy the situation (s) and are seen as impartial (by SMT!)

5) You get courted because they can't afford to you leave (but can't court you because that would break policy*/%)

6) Suddenly the very people that were knocking you, worry...

7) Then the demons you've been struggling with for so long, get taken seriously....

8) ?

Like I say, three months is a long time! I've five weeks to go - very much counting. I've been dealing with 7 and now wondering what 8 is!)

You're well trained for coping, creating and canalling...don't know what stage 8 is yet. But hubbie has also quit work, annoyingly he's only got one week left. I'm watching with interest...

We are constantly tempted...but.....the future is orange: Well the Netherlands are through to the finals so for now it is! Next week it could be purple....still the boat is green, so what do I care!

Best wishes!

*not applicable for private industries....

% in private industries you just get a pay rise, you say no, they offer you another one, you say no, and repeat and repeat!

Thanks - great post. :lol:

Ah! Sorry BSP for hijacking your thread but best laid plans and all that....

The dream was for the two of us to sail off (well diesel grunt) into the sunset (well stormy miserable wet and windy day in England) for a year, enjoying canals, cost-co and condensation.

Instead hubbie has only gone and got a new job in Korea. So it's all change again. No year off in blissful heaven. Still going to jetski around the UK first though, just not having boating time this winter.

Ho hum and housewifery in Asia here I come.... I'm really excited but strangely disappointed but also quite relieved.

So there you go...as we've always said 'the plan is, there is no plan'.

It was far easier for me as the decision was taken for me when my employers canned me. The main reason was the recession but I'm also aware I was pretty tired after 9 years doing night shifts. I had no time to fix up my boat properly and even winded up ill through tiredness. I'm now trying to make a redundancy claim and am also applying for a new job which I guess I have to do anyway on Jobseekers. I do feel like I've already had a good break and feel better.

It all depends how easily you can find another job. Or maybe you fancy just earninga bit of cash here and there and getting by without too much worry.

Okay - what do you guys think, am I nuts or wot?

I'm toying with the idea of giving up my job and taking 6 months out of the rat-race to cruise, paint and generally be a hippy for a while.

My job's well paid with a 3 month notice period, and I've worked out that if I hand my notice in next month and live frugally till September, I can save about 6k; which I reckon I can live on for 6 months if I'm sensible.

:lol: The pros seem to be: brain space, time for creativity, enjoying the countryside and regaining a modicum of a social-life (I work loooong hours at the moment and am feeling too married-to-the-job)

:lol: The cons seem to be: potentially not being able to get a job again afterwards, living with a lot less beer

What do you reckon, peeps? All opinions welcome! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I've been out of work now for about 2 months and living afloat still. I didn't really enjoy my job as it was basically a lousy firm and I stuck it for 9 years or so. They lost contracts, needed to cut back on employees and basically tried to get rid of me some other way so as not to have to pay any redundancy. That's likely to turn into some sort of legal standoff. In the meantime, I took the boat out last week and it was quite pleasant. There is still no end of work to be done I never had chance to do in the past. I don't have a guilty conscience as my job ended really due to the economic climate so here I am afloat and a bit like a tinker for want of a word.

After a long day maybe messing with engines or cycles I spend quite a bit of time taking care of my best buddy GSD dog. We now see a little more of each other and he seems to enjoy it.

I don't watch T.V. but late in the evening I enjoy watching Columbo on DVD.

The main thing now is to find an alternative income which doesn't have to be much.

No not nuts, at all working on doing the same thing myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Well; think I'll be handing my existence over to serendipity early next year and do the same kind of thing Miss Stringy. Had my fill of Northants and plan on shuffling off with an open-ended return. Plan on cruising for a few months, then slamming down a years mooring fee and settling in some boatyard or other that will alow liveaboards. Meantime I'll be collating a list of such between here and Staffs for starters. Gotta do my research early!

Edited by Orca

I would advise any youngish person who is thinking of giving up the rat race and living afloat to just do it. Try it out first with a friend's boat, a hire boat, or a borrowed boat, in case you might not really like it. Timothy West has a lot to answer for.

But if you want it, take it.

I live afloat on state pension and a bit of DLA and I get by. I run a car too, and have an expensive hobby (Pubs). But the free bus pass helps a lot.

I had the opportunity to live aboard at age 30. I turned it down for the lure of high income. It was a huge mistake. I achieved it at age 57, and have never looked back (Now 69).

My only regret is that I should have done it long ago, when I had the chance, when I was a lot fitter, and when it was a lot less costly. I feel I have wasted some 27 years. Yes, I did a lot of things in that time that living aboard I might not have done, but then looking back I think I would have sacrificed those experiences willingly for what I have since experienced whilst living aboard.

Destiny is not a random thing. You have to take it by the balls.

Tone

Well, I'm a week into it now, and still quite happy. ;)

Although both my arms are hanging like half-sucked jelly snakes from my shoulders due to having spent five hours handsawing logs and branches into stove-sized chunks today. I think I'll be sore tomorrow. Curse the swine who flogged my chainsaw! On the plus side, just as I was untying from my mooring at Christleton I had the pleasure of watching the nasty chainsaw-thief get in big trouble from the BW officer having overstayed at his mooring (half moored on a 14 day mooring and half moored on a 48 hour mooring) for a spectacular 10 months. Said BW chap took him back to his van, in fact. I hope he gets a fine way bigger than the sixty quid the chainsaw was worth (which he refused to pay back, incidentally). I also hope he thinks I phoned BW. I rather wish I had as he's a nasty piece of work as well as having a 2008 BW license in his window, claiming benefits while working AND taking the p*ss at a popular mooring location.

But who cares about him? For every him, there's twenty lovely people on the waterways. Met a few just this week in fact. :wub:

Edited by BlueStringPudding