Who's on their boat for Christmas?

Paula

Featured Posts

Its been absolutely perfect here for the last couple of weeks have not seen another boat on the move . It was especially great being snug and warm on the boat in the blizzards earlier in the week , just hope we dont get too many boats around over the christmas break to spoil the ambience - however the towpath telegraph says the local Hire fleet is due back in force for the festive break which does not bode well for a few days of peace and quiet .

Yeah I agree with you Richard...it is perfect.....do you think we get very selfish by wanting the peace and quiet for ourselves?

I must admit...I think I prefer the winter to the hussle and bussle of the summer

Paula

I suppose it is being selfish , but for me its also nostalgic as its more like it was 50 years ago when I was first on the cut . My perfect mooring would be out of sight and sound of roads , houses , boats and people - I am still looking !!!!

I suppose it is being selfish , but for me its also nostalgic as its more like it was 50 years ago when I was first on the cut . My perfect mooring would be out of sight and sound of roads , houses , boats and people - I am still looking !!!!

I agree about the roads and the houses (with the possible exception of a lock-keeper's cottage). People are OK if they're canal folk - but agreed NOT the general public - and I don't mind there being just a couple of other boats around.

50 years ago wasn't casual overnight mooring disapproved of, at anywhere other than the recognised mooring spots. I have an ealy cruising guide which warns hirers to avoid doing so whenever possible, but if in emergency you have to do so then NEVER on the outstide of a bend and ALWAYS hang a lantern where it can be clearly seen.

the cemetary will come soon enough :rolleyes:

I agree about the roads and the houses (with the possible exception of a lock-keeper's cottage). People are OK if they're canal folk - but agreed NOT the general public - and I don't mind there being just a couple of other boats around.

50 years ago

who exactly are the general public you talk about,do i take it that you or others on the cut are an elite set of creature,s that are not to be confused with the"general public"?

50 yrs ago,its gone its not coming back so forget it.

war, poverty, hardship, shortages, child labour, move forward embrace what you and have whats coming,this is called KEEPING UP :)

It's become a bit of a cliché this "I want to be alone", I have read articles of people back from two weeks on the navigable drains, "It was wonderful, we didn't see another boat for all that time" they proclaim. I can't think of anything more boring, I sometimes wonder why there are sometimes thirty or so boats moored outside a pub, all wanting to be alone.

I was around fifty years ago, with few exceptions things are better now. I must admit I miss seeing kids with rickets though.

right on,i have got the boat and the means to go around the canals,anyone i meet can take me or leave me but they can only do that after i have said i am gaggle.

i fully intend to meet and listen to anyone i come across,as far as i am concerned a stranger is a friend i have not yet spoken to.

my only problem is my complete lack of memory,i cant remember names or where it was i met the person that is now saying hello to me and using my first name.

I am allways amazed when you moor up for the night somewhere quite and a hire boat parks behind you! must be safety in numbers or just new to canaling, i agree that without passing other boats it will get boring i enjoy the friendly wave and good morning, this IS boating, if people want to be alone buy a sea going boat

ps Have anyone else moored somewhere in the middle of nowhere and in the morning some walks pass, where do they come from!! .......i have a therory...........they are aliens who buzz unsupecting boats :rolleyes:

Edited by gorbo

is any part of the canal really in the middle of nowhere.

anybody know what stretch of a canal is the furthest from a village or hamlet of some sort.

i know one thing,as soon as you run out of anything milk, bread, ciggies ect you are defo miles "from anywhere" :rolleyes:

is any part of the canal really in the middle of nowhere.

anybody know what stretch of a canal is the furthest from a village or hamlet of some sort.

i know one thing,as soon as you run out of anything milk, bread, ciggies ect you are defo miles "from anywhere" :rolleyes:

Aint that a fact!! :)

the rufford branch is open again on the ninth of december,its where i will be this weekend.

ave a look how the new marina is coming along down there.

had a lovely roast served by the most beautiful looking girls at the existing marina summer gone,mind you the meal may have been crap but the girls really were gorgeous,oriental or malaysian looks,lovely and very pleasant when serving.aaahhhh summer days.

the cemetary will come soon enough :rolleyes:

who exactly are the general public you talk about,do i take it that you or others on the cut are an elite set of creature,s that are not to be confused with the"general public"?

50 yrs ago,its gone its not coming back so forget it.

war, poverty, hardship, shortages, child labour, move forward embrace what you and have whats coming,this is called KEEPING UP :)

Never said I was nostalgic for 50 years ago, or that I wanted it wanted it back again.

As long as the trouble-seeking, drunken, missile throwing, monkey-bike riding element of the general public keep away, the minority of others that are left are always welcome. I just love meeting people on the cut, it's the best part of it, but I object to being cast adrift during the night, to having stones and beer-bottles thrown at my boat, to having people trying to force open my locked doors just to see if there's anyone on board, etc etc (all of which happen several times every year). Compared with them, yes the people on the canal ARE an elite.

i have heard stories about this sub-class of people YOU SAY exist but myself i have yet to come across any myself.

i have met boaters who are drunk,litter louts,bike riders and from what i have heard thieves.

if items go missing of your roof it is more than likely another boater who wanted them now has them.

i have no experience myself as i have pointed out and can only go on what i get told-advised.

i would imagine any community or group of people will have bad eggs in so the canal will be no different.

i would also imagine that sections of society would look down on all canal dwellers as sewer rats living on open drains,they may feel wrongly that compared to us they are ELITE.

meself,well i am no better than the next man and he is no better than me.

Im going to be at home for christmas day, but i plan to go to boat somtime while im at home.

- I was talking to the guys at the railway, and they was descusing who was going to do the chrismas train next year!

- Apprently its a really dull day, just one slow dinning train, out and back, thats it for the whole day!

Daniel

At another steam railway on Christmas Day, in Sussex, no trains are operated but the three or four steam locomotives required for the Boxing Day train services are prepared, warmed through and positioned ready for service , especially to steam heat the trains from very early the next day.

Meanwhile Christmas Dinner is prepared (in the oven, not on the shovel on this occasion thank you!) for a late afternoon sitting, when the day's work is done, for this select gathering of some of the line's volunteers. By early evening volunteer loco crews / signalmen for the following day's services start to arrive from their family celebrations to stay on site overnight, because of the very early start required and the distance they live from the line, and a sociable, alternative Christmas afternoon/evening is enjoyed on the one day of the year without pressure of current train operations. Great craic all round, and warm trains for our Boxing Day passengers from start of service.............have happy memories of these gatherings in times past.

So, it doesn't have to be a dull day Daniel, it's what you make it, maybe it'll catch on at "Lufbra".

Neil

At another steam railway on Christmas Day, in Sussex, no trains are operated but the three or four steam locomotives required for the Boxing Day train services are prepared, warmed through and positioned ready for service , especially to steam heat the trains from very early the next day.

Is that the kent&east then?

I like the line about steam heat, the train crew are very keen on this coming on a soon as possable!!

- Infact the have a deal on in buffet car where and driver/fireman with a locmotive in steam and providing steamheat gets a free cooked breakfast.

- The only problem with this is that no locomotive in steam can be left unattended!! (doh)

Daniel