Spider

Ange

Featured Posts

First spotted this evening while we were watching Ashes to Ashes. He appeared just above the window - by the time I'd found my spider catcher he'd positioned himself in a groove in the window frame so the spider catcher couldn't get him. I waited, spider catcher on my lap at the ready. Part way through Friday Night with Wossy he parachuted down in front of the laptop screen that is our TV at the moment, changed his mind very quickly and ascended to the flat piece of wall (well side of boat) above. Gotcha! Said spider has been humanely trapped and deposited on towpath.

The one thing I love about the winter is no spiders and windows can be opened with no bugs flying in and dive bombing you.

Never mind - not complaining honestly. Looking forward to the baby ducks - we've had lots of boisterous duck on duck activity around our boat so where are they?

Love pink wine & maltesers by the way - an amazing combination :lol:

Edited to add: the pink wine turned year to yeat in the title - and I can't edit that!!!

Edited by Ange

Do you have a bigger catcher, for the ducklings?

:lol: that was a bit random wasn't it!

I'll wake up tomorrow and worry about what I've posted tonight after the pink wine!

Love pink wine & maltesers by the way - an amazing combination :lol:

Edited to add: the pink wine turned year to yeat in the title - and I can't edit that!!!

Good Morning, hows the head.....Pink? isnt it fun how the malteasers just fit into the bottle neck... :lol:

Good Morning, hows the head.....Pink? isnt it fun how the malteasers just fit into the bottle neck... :lol:

Shhhhh I don't think she's up yet......

Good morning to you :lol:

The head's far better than I deserve! On the train on our way to Ellesmere Port at the mo

Any other boaty spider sightings, or is mine the first?

I've always wanted one of these

4581-004-B3B8097C.jpg

but for some reason never been able persuade Jan that it's a good idea.

they are actually far nicer than the regular house spider, believe it or not...they move so elegantly and very slowly and feel like velvet when they walk across your hand.

they are also incredibly strong, that previous picture of the spider holding the fish vertical isn't a camera trick I don't think, we had a mexican red knee tarantula in a fish tank, with a lid weighed down with a brick, the spider could push the lid up!...until I put two bricks on!

when my son told his Gran he had a spider in a fish tank, she did ask how it held its breath for so long!...Bless!

they are actually far nicer than the regular house spider, believe it or not...they move so elegantly and very slowly and feel like velvet when they walk across your hand. 

Oh I believe it I'd love one - however SWMBO has spoken..... :lol:

Good morning to you :lol:

The head's far better than I deserve! On the train on our way to Ellesmere Port at the mo

Any other boaty spider sightings, or is mine the first?

No not the first, we have been splatting them for a few weeks now. And as for Duck on Duck activity you are well behind as the pair of Egytian geese that live with us ( they are actually ducks) produced 4 offspring 2 weeks ago, they have managed to keep 2 of them and they are growing like mad.

Phil

As yet, I have not seen any BIG House Spiders on the boat - are they a little averse to anywhere near water I wonder!?! Plenty of the smaller Garden Spiders, but thankfully as yet, (he said), no mega-buggers...

Conkers!

They're supposed to be a spider deterrent, but I don't know how long they last. I've got handfuls scattered around from last autumn - no spiders so far, I'll let you know.

Good question, we have conkers from last year and spiders on the boat, well one less because Di put him on the hanging basket at Fenny Wharf

Here's a Dock Spider, eating a fish:

spider-dining.jpg

I've always wanted one of these

4581-004-B3B8097C.jpg

but for some reason never been able persuade Jan that it's a good idea.

Ye Gods - are you lot trying to give me nightmares :lol:

No not the first, we have been splatting them for a few weeks now. And as for Duck on Duck activity you are well behind as the pair of Egytian geese that live with us ( they are actually ducks) produced 4 offspring 2 weeks ago, they have managed to keep 2 of them and they are growing like mad.

Phil

Nooo - you're not allowed to splat spiders! I was raised with the rhyme "if you want to live and thrive let a spider run alive". Besides, we've got white walls on the boat and those big ones would make such a mess :lol:

I saw a bee

We saw a massive bee in the Liverpool underground today - I think they must mutate down there!

Conkers!

They're supposed to be a spider deterrent, but I don't know how long they last. I've got handfuls scattered around from last autumn - no spiders so far, I'll let you know.

Ahh - I've tried the conkers theory http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...c=25431&hl=

As yet, I have not seen any BIG House Spiders on the boat - are they a little averse to anywhere near water I wonder!?! Plenty of the smaller Garden Spiders, but thankfully as yet, (he said), no mega-buggers...

The second one appeared this evening - even bigger than yesterday's, and this time I wasn't quick enough with my spider catcher :lol: Dave's just gone to bed and left me on my own with the monster who's in hiding now :lol:

Thanks for all the replies to my pink wine and malteser inspired thread by the way ;)

Well some of the bigger ones look like they'd fry up nicely.

I'll try anything once, if given the recipe.

:lol:

(I'd have loved to have come up with a witty response, but my mind is blank so a smile will have to do!)

Ive sent you a breeding pair for easter. :lol:

:lol: What a gent you are!

Guest wanted
:lol:

(I'd have loved to have come up with a witty response, but my mind is blank so a smile will have to do!)

:lol: What a gent you are!

They hatch from chocolate eggs!