Diesel Genny

FrigateCaptain

Featured Posts

Hey,

we're getting a 3k diesel gen....... Can we mount it in the engine bay? whats the rules and reg's??

Yes, I have a 7Kw in mine, just all the normal things exhaust to the outside, diesel isolation taps, fuel lines.

Just like fitting an engine.

Cooling may be a problem if air cooled.

Edit: typing whilst Julian posted.

Edited by bottle

I have one in the engine bay....6.5KW Yanmar/Markon electric start. Very useful. I cant remember if it was a regulation or not, but we fitted it onto a steel 'catch tray' (catch any leaky fluids ). I rubber mounted the tray to the counter.

On mega hot days I open the rear hatch to run it....most of the time though its fine. I fitted a solenoid fuel valve in the fuel pipe to enable it to be started/stopped from inside the cabin. To start, flick on the switch and press the button, works a treat, flick switch off to stop. Only draw back..its noisy... compared to a suitcase Honda petrol its ridiculously noisy. It Battery charges automatically when running, I fitted a std halfords battery charger down there and its permanently plugged into it, that does the cabin batteries and the jenny has its own starter battery charging coils. So if for some reason the main engine is out of action I can keep the batteries topped up easily - with no shore power. It runs elec heaters, vacuum cleaners, power tools, hair straighteners/dryers blah blah.

Cheers folks, just a portable one fitted if you know what i mean? I understand about the cooling issue was thinking about getting some 12v fans from maplin to help

You've got no real safety issues there (as you would with a petrol generator which should never be in an engine space even if it's switched off), apart from the potential overheating issue. The diesel generators designed to be run in engine spaces are generally water cooled rather than air cooled. Have a look at the user guide for the generator and see if it gives minimum clearances from walls, etc. when it's being run - this will give you some idea. I tried running a portable generator in a vented locker once with a fan above, but it still overheated.

Edited by blackrose

Cheers folks, just a portable one fitted if you know what i mean? I understand about the cooling issue was thinking about getting some 12v fans from maplin to help

I can't comment on the cooling. It will be treated as a permanent egine and so you can check the installation against the requirments in Chapter 2 of the BSS Essential Guide.

Dealing with the exhaust fumes is a major issue, potentially fatal one. So have good and reliable exhaust arrangements and remember the fire risk from the exhaust as well.

Also be very careful about the powere source switching arrangements. Ensure you cannot charge from generator and shore line at the same time.

Seek a competent professional's advice and help.

HTH

Rob@BSS Office

Is it portable, or a portable one fitted? Depending on size, you should be able to fit it on the swim in the engine hole, preferably with anti vibration mounts as sound and vibrations resonate all along the shell of the boat. Do you have a specific genset in mind. If you have, it may help if you post it here on the board and get further advice ffrom there.