Google Earth & GPS Waypoints

oasistoo

Featured Posts

I have the two important waypoints for our trip over the Ribble link (Asland Perch & Savick Brook entrance).

But i was considering adding a few more Primarily as a means of monitoring progress! Has anyone derived way points from Google Earth?

The cursor provides what appear to be high accuracy plots. There would be the danger of miss transcribing as I cannot find means to export data in NMEA format, but it should work, has anyone tried or used this method?

I have the two important waypoints for our trip over the Ribble link (Asland Perch & Savick Brook entrance).

But i was considering adding a few more Primarily as a means of monitoring progress! Has anyone derived way points from Google Earth?

The cursor provides what appear to be high accuracy plots. There would be the danger of miss transcribing as I cannot find means to export data in NMEA format, but it should work, has anyone tried or used this method?

Thanks Richard I had found that one but like you I think it only provides an input to Google earth? I may mail them to check. Could be interesting for plotting progress on the day except i don't fancy having the laptop on the deck :lol:

Umm

You might find that the Google Earth full digit coordinate system doesnt match the GPS readings (for a known point) but they are (or should be) close enough for your purposes

they certainly are for waypoints for nightwalking in open country.

At the moment the only way I have seen to directly download them is through a google pay to use sytems such as that used by Land Registry, some large construvtion groups and (I think) now the EA.

I admit that it is nearly two years since I last looked at the Google "professional" systems in any depth so things may have improved and there may be a cheap(er) non-agency service now

Not sure if it is what you want, but GPS Babel converts many formats including Google KMLs, etc.

I found this searching for "google earth nmea", but I think it's the wrong way around: Earth Bridge

I used this programme to put continuous updates of my position onto a web page.

Unfortunately it has a memory leak, and crashes the computer after an hour or so running :lol:

m@

You can do it based on OS 1:25K maps; go to www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps

Don't be put off by ther highlands bit - the whole country is covered and you can plot a route and export it as a gpx file.

Also, to transfer a gpx route to Google Earth, simply drag the file from explorer and drop it onto G. E.

Edited by dor

Don't be put off by ther highlands bit - the whole country is covered and you can plot a route and export it as a gpx file.

Also, to transfer a gpx route to Google Earth, simply drag the file from explorer and drop it onto G. E.

Thanks Dor that may be just what I am looking for! I can take Google earth out of the equation and create a file to upload into my GPS directly which was the whole point of the exercise. will let you know how it goes.

If you'd like to give me the GPS coords you want on the Ripple Link I'd be happy to add these as new routes to my waterway maps + GPS software - www.waterexplorer.co.uk

Stu.

Stu

Now i appear to have a means of getting the data onto my GPS i will try to create a track in your software and send it to you for you to add. (Edited for missing word)

Edited by oasistoo

Off topic. Dor, thanks for posting this, I use th Satmap planning tool for walking routes, not sure if I have to pay for access after 12 months or not, so this one looks like a good back up just incase.

Cheers

Les

Hi Les

I too have a Satmap (what a great bit of kit!). Although I qualify to use Satmap's route planner for free, I find it irritating as the area shown is too small. The one I use is good as it is full screen and you can zoom out to 1:50K as well as zoom in for the 1:25K detail.