Don't Moor Opposite!

rgreg

Featured Posts

I wasn't being rude I was being arch and ironic; although as I am from Bedford, I am therefore inept and clumsy. Your reaction, however, has confirmed that people located in the Bedford area are robbed of their sense of humour on entering through the portals of Bedfordland and you should leave quickly. Chirk is a lovely place and you will be so much closer to me here. That will enable you to meet me in person and discover that I'm not rude at all merely not very funny at times.

Bises, Wriggly

PS you're welcome to moor up anytime outside my dwelling place.

I have a great sense of humour and dry at times, your probably right about being in Bedford has probably watered it down some.

cant wait to leave bedford but wont be doing it quickly i like to savour any moment :lol:

Ollie

Let me be the devil's advocate, and caution against having a banter outside this property. All that banter will achieve is a confirmation of the impression that 'boats are a bloody nuisance'. The property owner will get his local councilor or MP to have a look, and before you know it, mooring will be restricted more than you bargained for.

Is there an actual mooring restriction in place? If not, just ignore the sign, moor as you would, and let them stew. They don't have any reasonable ground to get an official mooring restriction (yet.... :lol: ), but deliberate misbehaving, tempting as it may be, is only going to work against mooring in the long term.

Whilst I wouldn't advocate deliberately making excess noise at the site, I would advocate a deliberate "use it or lose it" stance.

If the householder is going to the trouble of erecting signs, they will doubtless be going to the trouble of bending BW's ear.

If most boaters obey the meaningless signs, then before long, BW will decide that as very few boaters actually moor there, imposing a no mooring restriction isn't going to cause them half as much grief as the householder does.

Whilst I am fully behind the "if you don't like the smell of cow shit..." argument, we do need to cast aside our rose tinted glasses, and accept that there are SOME boaters who are inconsiderate, and whose endless engine running, rubbish etc are a legitimate cause for complaint. We can't expect non-boaters to distinguish different types of boaters. They know that some boaters are a PITA, and as far as they are concerned, stopping all mooring will resolve their problem. It may be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but they don't care.

Finally, there is the question of fairness. The people who erect such signs are trying to "take" an uninterupted view, yet it is obvious that if all householders tried to do the same, we would have major problems. In actual fact, most householders accept that for part of the time their view will be obstructed, and those who try to push moorers away are increasing the proportion of the time that others will have to put up with an obstructed view.

It is a bit like getting on a busy train. There are no free pairs of seats, and you will have to sit next to another passenger. Do you take whichever entirely empty seat looks the easiest bet, or do you ask the person who has occupied the seat next to them with bag/coat/newspaper to move it? Should the person who tries it on be allowed to win?

In my view, where these signs spring up, BW (and any local user organisation) should approach the landowner, and make it clear that mooring IS allowed at that location. An offer should be made that BW and the local boaters organisation will assist the landowner if he finds that boaters are behaving inconsiderately. He should be advised what is and is not considered to be unacceptable behaviour.

The landowner should be invited to remove his signs. He should be offered an opportunity to fund official signs, asking for consideration to be shown to local resident. If he declines to remove the signs, official signs permitting mooring should be erected on the towpath

Whilst I wouldn't advocate deliberately making excess noise at the site, I would advocate a deliberate "use it or lose it" stance.

If the householder is going to the trouble of erecting signs, they will doubtless be going to the trouble of bending BW's ear.

If most boaters obey the meaningless signs, then before long, BW will decide that as very few boaters actually moor there, imposing a no mooring restriction isn't going to cause them half as much grief as the householder does.

Whilst I am fully behind the "if you don't like the smell of cow shit..." argument, we do need to cast aside our rose tinted glasses, and accept that there are SOME boaters who are inconsiderate, and whose endless engine running, rubbish etc are a legitimate cause for complaint. We can't expect non-boaters to distinguish different types of boaters. They know that some boaters are a PITA, and as far as they are concerned, stopping all mooring will resolve their problem. It may be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but they don't care.

Finally, there is the question of fairness. The people who erect such signs are trying to "take" an uninterupted view, yet it is obvious that if all householders tried to do the same, we would have major problems. In actual fact, most householders accept that for part of the time their view will be obstructed, and those who try to push moorers away are increasing the proportion of the time that others will have to put up with an obstructed view.

It is a bit like getting on a busy train. There are no free pairs of seats, and you will have to sit next to another passenger. Do you take whichever entirely empty seat looks the easiest bet, or do you ask the person who has occupied the seat next to them with bag/coat/newspaper to move it? Should the person who tries it on be allowed to win?

In my view, where these signs spring up, BW (and any local user organisation) should approach the landowner, and make it clear that mooring IS allowed at that location. An offer should be made that BW and the local boaters organisation will assist the landowner if he finds that boaters are behaving inconsiderately. He should be advised what is and is not considered to be unacceptable behaviour.

The landowner should be invited to remove his signs. He should be offered an opportunity to fund official signs, asking for consideration to be shown to local resident. If he declines to remove the signs, official signs permitting mooring should be erected on the towpath

Can't the house just burn down in a mystery fire?

Simples

:lol:

I have a great sense of humour and dry at times, your probably right about being in Bedford has probably watered it down some.

cant wait to leave bedford but wont be doing it quickly i like to savour any moment :lol:

Ollie

As we exiled Bedfordians say: "gerr yerself to Santaniello's. Gerr yerself a pizzaaaar. Geddout of Bedford while it's still 'ot".

Good advice really. Bedford is a fine place (to leave).

So is Burnley !!

But, but I loved Burnley when I worked there in the early eighties. Has it changed?

Back on topic ... I was intrigued to see a no mooring sign attached to the wall of a cottage on the Staffs and Worcs last week. It was printed with the BW logo in white on black, but home-laminated and using the wrong font, glued to a piece of ply and screwed to the garden wall. Mooring rings all along the towpath immediately in front, part of which was the lock landing. I can see why you might not want a boat only a few feet away from your front room but why live there if it's a particular objection? If that was my issue, then it'd be a dealbreaker in the first place. The BW workers resurfacing the towpath nearby said that the occupants put them up as fast as BW tell them to take them down and they've had problems through the winter with the occupants shouting at boaters using the lock. Apparently they're tenants and BW can only deal with the landlord - absent in the Caribbean allegedly

Not sure about the legality of using the BW logo without permission either.

But, but I loved Burnley when I worked there in the early eighties. Has it changed?

Back on topic ... I was intrigued to see a no mooring sign attached to the wall of a cottage on the Staffs and Worcs last week. It was printed with the BW logo in white on black, but home-laminated and using the wrong font, glued to a piece of ply and screwed to the garden wall. Mooring rings all along the towpath immediately in front, part of which was the lock landing. I can see why you might not want a boat only a few feet away from your front room but why live there if it's a particular objection? If that was my issue, then it'd be a dealbreaker in the first place. The BW workers resurfacing the towpath nearby said that the occupants put them up as fast as BW tell them to take them down and they've had problems through the winter with the occupants shouting at boaters using the lock. Apparently they're tenants and BW can only deal with the landlord - absent in the Caribbean allegedly

Not sure why BW imagine that they can only deal with the landlord.

By using the BW logo, the people erecting these signs are undoubtedly committing a criminal offence under section 3 of the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 (quite a biggie, maximum sentence is 10 years in clink)

3. It is an offence for a person to use an instrument which is, and which he knows or believes to be, false, with the intention of inducing somebody to accept it as genuine, and by reason of so accepting it to do or not to do some act to his own or any other person’s prejudice.

Perhaps a better idea woud be for BW to put there own sign up saying it perfectly ok to moor in front of the houses! Failing that a 9 foot fence. Then boaters would not even be able to see the rouge signs! :lol:

What did you like about Burnley?

Well said Dave.

I wonder if the people that put up signs where to write a sign along the lines of

We as residence enjoy your colourfull boats passing our property.

Whilst we understand the need to moor up for a while we would be greatfull

if you could please only run your engines for a short while in the daytime

and not early in the morning or late at night..

Thank you for your understanding

If they did do this at least the signs would be bigger for the Airgun gezeer :lol:

Edited by terryvanman

I wonder if the people that put up signs where to write a sign along the lines of

We as residence enjoy your colourfull boats passing our property.

Whilst we understand the need to moor up for a while we would be greatfull

if you could please only run your engines for a short while in the daytime

and not early in the morning or late at night..

Thank you for your understanding

If they did do this at least the signs would be bigger for the Airgun gezeer :lol:

A sign like that would need at least one, more substantial post, to hold it up, which would be perfect to tie up too!