Smartgauge and Smartbank

Rich

Featured Posts

How many are there and how much did they all cost?

Personally I'd probably risk £20ish on a desulfator kit, though to each their own.

cheers,

Pete.

8 @ £100 apiece. Seemed like a good gamble at the time (may turn out to be but I doubt it) definitely cheap FLAs next time.

Problem with desulfaters is the long cycle they need to be effective and the need to take batts off the run whilst doing so, not practical as full time ccers.

Edited by nb Innisfree

8 @ £100 apiece. Seemed like a good gamble at the time (may turn out to be but I doubt it) definitely cheap FLAs next time.

Problem with desulfaters is the long cycle they need to be effective and the need to take batts off the run whilst doing so, not practical as full time ccers.

Maybe try one of the eight at at time. Doesn't have to make a huge difference to pay for itself.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

I'm flattered that Mr Pink thinks I'm smart enough that mind control is one of my many talents and that people will jump to my defense simply because I wish them to do so.

Well if I can destroy engines with telekinesis then mind control can't be beyond the imagination surely?

But seriously, we bought a desulphator while the last batts were nearing their death throes. It seemingly didn't help, although the current batts are in slightly better condition that the last lot at the same age. I'm tempted to blame that on PV panels and wind turbines rather than the little box and it's led.

We'll still need new batteries before next winter comes along so the nett saving, if any, will be a handful of months at best.

Snake oil I say! Mr Sterling should have told me it was rubbish and refused to sell it to me ;-)

OTOH, Innisfree, you mention needing to take the batts off. I've never heard that before could you expand a bit? It could be where I'm going wrong.

Well if I can destroy engines with telekinesis then mind control can't be beyond the imagination surely?

But seriously, we bought a desulphator while the last batts were nearing their death throes. It seemingly didn't help, although the current batts are in slightly better condition that the last lot at the same age. I'm tempted to blame that on PV panels and wind turbines rather than the little box and it's led.We'll still need new batteries before next winter comes along so the nett saving, if any, will be a handful of months at best.

Snake oil I say! Mr Sterling should have told me it was rubbish and refused to sell it to me ;-)

OTOH, Innisfree, you mention needing to take the batts off. I've never heard that before could you expand a bit? It could be where I'm going wrong.

Do you mean that the current batts have lasted a little longer because of augmentation by solar and wind?

I had megapulses similar to Stirling's and they gave examples of having batts on continuous low charge while being pulsed to recover them from sulphation ie not in use under load. However, instructions also included fitting and forgetting to banks in use to prevent sulphation so I do not think you are doing anything wrong. Of course, it seems to me if you are looking after your batts in every other way as best you can I doubt their is much benefit from them. Mine did not survive long and I concluded they were not worth replacing. As has been pointed out by SmileyPete they may benefit those using other than open lead acid that cannot equalise at as high a voltage to desulphate.

But seriously, we bought a desulphator while the last batts were nearing their death throes. It seemingly didn't help, although the current batts are in slightly better condition that the last lot at the same age. I'm tempted to blame that on PV panels and wind turbines rather than the little box and it's led.

We'll still need new batteries before next winter comes along so the nett saving, if any, will be a handful of months at best.

I was looking at Wotever's link to desulfating but I don't really have any faith in that. Only just spotted Gibbo's link to Lifeline AGMs which recommends 8hrs @ 15.5v for equalising, as I don't know the construction of mine I think I will just stick to my present weekly 8 hr absorption at 28.8v, if they deteriorate any further then I may try more, maybe 31v.

Yes I meant augmenting the charging with solar and wind. Our turbine's done us proud over the last few days :lol:

Well, to be fair being off grip means the typical compromise of not being able to keep the batts fully charged for most of the fortnight and just living with the consequences.

If I get the genny working again I'll try the equalisation function on my charger and see how that fares, but they're well down now so resignation sets in.