Where and how much to two-part epoxy a 62 footer ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

The blacking on ours is looking a bit patchy in places, from what little I can see, and I was wondering how much ( ballpark) it would be to two-part epoxy a 62 footer ? Also best time of year to do it, both from being able to do a good job and the least expensive time of year, if any ?

Thanks,

Nick

Just cost us a total of £480 on 72 foot to just above the waterline. Would have been another hundred to have it up to the gunwales but we will do that ourselves when we are through the next few locks. 2pack paint cost was ninety something pounds of the total. The rest was dry dock and labour. Always ask around local boaters before committing to any particular drydock to do the job and we find it is worth travelling to get a good job done at a good price.

Just cost us a total of £480 on 72 foot to just above the waterline. Would have been another hundred to have it up to the gunwales but we will do that ourselves when we are through the next few locks. 2pack paint cost was ninety something pounds of the total. The rest was dry dock and labour. Always ask around local boaters before committing to any particular drydock to do the job and we find it is worth travelling to get a good job done at a good price.

That's a cracking price - where did you get it done?

I am amazed the price was so "low" having expected about 3 times this for the product ...

The reason I was looking at it is that I thought it is supposed to last up to 5 years before needing doing again - I would probably still have it out every 2 years for checkout and patch up, but the main reason for considering going to 2-part was that I thought it was more durable and so protected the u/w part better.

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Will it go on over bitumen?

If that was directed at me, I will need to ask the manufacturers what preparations will be necessary as not sure - I envisage certainly needing to give it a very good pressure blasting, and possibly something more. I get the feeling though that the bitumen may ( will likely) be blown off by the pressure blast.

Nick

I think two pack epoxy requires clean dry bare steel, so grit or shot blasting is necessary?

Certainly recommended, but some of the epoxies available now are a bit more tolerant.

Bare steel is the way to go if you want to be sure of good adhesion.

Tim

What sort of hull prep did they do for that price? Gritblsting is really requierd prior to putting on twin pack epoxy as it isn't compatibele with blacking and the grit shoud be a particular grit size to ensure good ahdesion to the prepared hull. Also I'd really think of having the baseplate done if I was having twin pack.

A boatyard hear Hemel quoted me to to all of the above including rudder tube and two coats and baseplate - only 6 grand! :lol:

Edited by blackrose

Will it go on over bitumen?

Hi Mate, I would say it's unlikely. I'm assuming the solvents in the Epoxy would melt the bitumen underneath. If you want to try it, you could put some epoxy solvent straight on the bitumen and see what happens.

Best thing to do is put the epoxy over existing epoxy or shotblast the boat.

Of course I'm sure you can find a yard that will paint over your bitumen with epoxy but speak the paint manufacturers first, I can't see them recommending it.

Hi Mate, I would say it's unlikely. I'm assuming the solvents in the Epoxy would melt the bitumen underneath. If you want to try it, you could put some epoxy solvent straight on the bitumen and see what happens.

Best thing to do is put the epoxy over existing epoxy or shotblast the boat.

Of course I'm sure you can find a yard that will paint over your bitumen with epoxy but speak the paint manufacturers first, I can't see them recommending it.

Thanks guys for the warnings !

Nick

Just to clarify folks:

The two pack originally went on new steel bottom and footings and this new coat went over the original coats, not on top of any other type of blacking.

We were advised that the new coat eats into the coat on which it is painted and provided they are of the same manufacture, this will be fine.

Gritblasting was not recommended but would be essential if painting two pack over some other type of paint/blacking and you have to seriously question why you would want to do this.

Our advice came from experts and the paint manufacturer, NOT associated with the dock who did a great job of the painting.

The good price came from having our boat on hand to go into the drydock as dictated by the Painter and him charging his time when cleaning down and painting and NOT when it was drying, as he was able to be off earning money elsewhere.

I think two pack epoxy requires clean dry bare steel, so grit or shot blasting is necessary?

Unless someone knows differently, that is absolutely the case. It will not take to bitumen and the hull must be taken back to bare steel by grit blasting. Furthermore the apllication of twin pack is very sensitive to temperature (I think it needs to be above 15 Celsius to cure properly), making this a bad time of year to do it unless the shed is heated. It is a great product, providing it is applied properly in the right conditions. Otherwise you may be wasting your money.

Afterthought: You would do well to call Graham Edgson at Norton Canes Boatbuilders as he is one yard that still does grit blasting and is something of an authority on twin pack epoxy application. 01543 374888.

Edited by Dominic M

Thanks Dominic

Unless someone knows differently, that is absolutely the case. It will not take to bitumen and the hull must be taken back to bare steel by grit blasting. Furthermore the apllication of twin pack is very sensitive to temperature (I think it needs to be above 15 Celsius to cure properly), making this a bad time of year to do it unless the shed is heated. It is a great product, providing it is applied properly in the right conditions. Otherwise you may be wasting your money.

Afterthought: You would do well to call Graham Edgson at Norton Canes Boatbuilders as he is one yard that still does grit blasting and is something of an authority on twin pack epoxy application. 01543 374888.