Jump to content

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Chas78 said:

Here is my Hancock and Lane built in 1980 not pretty at the moment as i am doing a refit and trying to temporarily seal the leaky windows but she does seem pretty solid still after nearly 40 years ;) 

sunday boating 029.jpg

Good boats, well built. I used to drive/skipper a full length one called The Duke of Bridgewater on the soar and Gu in the early nineties Leicester area. built like a tank.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get bored with the green , you could always paint it all over in Bitumen and rename it Ninja.

4 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

I had to google that pmsl :blush:

That's a coincidence,I had to go ogle pmsl too!

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

And if it looked really good in bitumen it would really look The Ninjas Nuts lol :lol: 

Paint it half orange and half bitumen you will Have a Ginger Ninja

 

(Note to self I really need to get out more)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Chas78 said:

Pete,

If you have anymore info on my boat i would really like to know please :D

 

Sorry, only one envelope - but the fact that its B.W.B. index number can be dated to 1980/81 might indicate it is older than you think (B.W.B. index numbers were first issued in 1980 and included both older and brand new boat for that year) :captain:

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Sorry, only one envelope - but the fact that its B.W.B. index number can be dated to 1980/81 might indicate it is older than you think (B.W.B. index numbers were first issued in 1980 and included both older and brand new boat for that year) :captain:

No problem i appreciate any info how big or small thank you ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 15/06/2009 at 18:56, KEDIAN said:

 

I worked for hancock and lane in the 70s the began about 1970 and produced a large number of boats and comercial craft they are best known for the Norsman style boat they also built a smaller boat with a raised front deck called Marlin these were mostly 30 feet in length I worked for them from 1972 through to the end which I belive to be 1984 I was made redundant twice At the finish there were only four of us left and at one time they had at least 8 teams of 3 men building boats and employed 60 men many other companies have been borne out of this skilled labour force It is true that the boats were a little dumpy however many of these craft are still in use on the canals giving testimony to there build quality they were in there time considered by many to be at the forefront of the industry I would regulaly work 70 hrs a week to keep up with demand starting at 6 am and finishing at 6 pm 5 days a week and then doing a Saturday morning for good measure The eatly starters were summoned at 8 am for a trip to Willerby to the cafe for cooked breakfast on the firm I am still boatbuilding I was only 19 when I started work Thats enough from an old boatbuilder

Hi kedian 

I don't suppose you remember h and l building narrowboats with sliding roofs ? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/03/2018 at 19:18, Kennyb123 said:

I've just bought a hancock and lane 48ft narrowboat called gulliver11 .. Is there anywhere I could possibly find out Its history ..it is odd as it has a sliding roof 

20180225_103323.jpg

20180311_125337.jpg

With the sliding roof and slanty windows that looks more like a dartline to me  I used to have one and that was advertised as a H+L  I think quite often if people have a 70s narrowboat and they don't know what it is, the default answer is Hancock and Lane,  springers and harboroughs are easy to identify  but many of the other makes from that era can look very similar

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2018 at 22:59, man1nvan said:

With the sliding roof and slanty windows that looks more like a dartline to me  I used to have one and that was advertised as a H+L  I think quite often if people have a 70s narrowboat and they don't know what it is, the default answer is Hancock and Lane,  springers and harboroughs are easy to identify  but many of the other makes from that era can look very similar

It has a plate welded at the fore of the boat saying "steelwork by Hancock and lane . Daventry. England . that's the only reason I suspected it was one .. Maybe someone's out it on to try to pass it off as one 

 

On 20/03/2018 at 08:24, Athy said:

To me, sliding roof suggests ex-hire boat.

That was my thinking as well .. Be nice to see what I can find out as its not on any boat index 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

H&L built different styles for different people. They didn't build any for Dartline as far as I know, and the cabin shape is wrong for any of the Dartline, SUC etc. fleet.

Have you got any pics of the bow or stern?

 

20180326_124836.jpg

20180326_124556.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a memory of the old Jannel fleet out of Burton-on-Trent having those go-faster windows, not sure about sliding roofs though.

I think it's unlikely that the boat would carry an H&L maker's plate if they didn't build it.

EDIT: just seen the photos. Does the boat really have go-faster windows on one side only, or is it the camera angle?

Edited by Athy
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have a memory of the old Jannel fleet out of Burton-on-Trent having those go-faster windows, not sure about sliding roofs though.

I think it's unlikely that the boat would carry an H&L maker's plate if they didn't build it.

EDIT: just seen the photos. Does the boat really have go-faster windows on one side only, or is it the camera angle?

Just the camera angle .. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a Hancock & Lane hull. Cabin....the forward rake on the front of the cabin looks like the boats they built for Alvechurch, but they all had conventional windows AFAIK.

Might be ex Bridgwater Boats or Adelaide Marine? Bridgewater had some H&L boats in their fleet, but I remember a similar roof hatch in one of Adelaide's ex-Harborough boats.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Definitely a Hancock & Lane hull. Cabin....the forward rake on the front of the cabin looks like the boats they built for Alvechurch, but they all had conventional windows AFAIK.

Might be ex Bridgwater Boats or Adelaide Marine? Bridgewater had some H&L boats in their fleet, but I remember a similar roof hatch in one of Adelaide's ex-Harborough boats.

Thankyou for all you info .. If love to find out her history 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.