painting bottom of boat

colin loach

Featured Posts

Hi All. I put a steel saw in the canal by the side of my boat it was a little rusty so I gave it a coat or rust converter and a coat of smooth right . after six months pulled it out. It looked ok, no rust but slightly milky in colour. What do you think about using smooth right on the boat instead of the normal bitchaman. Colin I

Hi All. I put a steel saw in the canal by the side of my boat it was a little rusty so I gave it a coat or rust converter and a coat of smooth right . after six months pulled it out. It looked ok, no rust but slightly milky in colour. What do you think about using smooth right on the boat instead of the normal bitchaman. Colin I

:lol: Sounds good to me but is it good at abrasion resiliance ? and what would it cost ?

What is Smooth Right? Similar to Hammerite?

Shipley paints do a two pack hull paint that they sell primarily for narrowboat hulls as an underwater protection.. :lol:

Whatever you use, i'm not convinced it helps. Just for appearance.

:lol: Completely with you on this one. My last boat was an old colecraft built of good steel, I got it cheap I never bother with surveys and the guy I bought it off had owned it 18 years and never had it out the water so I paid small price and then took it to John Pinder to see if it was going to sink. He did a hull survey and it had hardly budged and needed no work at all, I was so chuffed I treated it to a grit blast and posh black stuff for the first time in its life :lol:

:lol: Completely with you on this one. My last boat was an old colecraft built of good steel, I got it cheap I never bother with surveys and the guy I bought it off had owned it 18 years and never had it out the water so I paid small price and then took it to John Pinder to see if it was going to sink. He did a hull survey and it had hardly budged and needed no work at all, I was so chuffed I treated it to a grit blast and posh black stuff for the first time in its life :lol:

i dont want to take the boat out every 2 years if i dont have to. so why do others say you must paint it every 2 or 3 years.

Smoothrite is no good on bright steel. Its adhesion relies on the bonding of the products of the iron oxide to phospate conversion reaction.

Its OK on rusted steel, but is very brittle and EXPENSIVE.

Thats not strictly true. Its endearing feature is that it can be applied to rusty steel but it isnt a prerequisite. All that is needed in an ideal world is for some surface abrasion to give better adhesion. :lol:

Smoothrite is approximately £28 per 2.5 Ltr tin

Let's assume you can buy it at a tremendous discount in bulk quantities (for £8.00 litre)

and you give your boat only two coats

(it's 5m2 per litre per coat)

You'd better start saving my friend . . .

Good point, i will re-think.