Mooring/Marina options - northern part of the system..

Featured Posts

OK working to the advice we need to secure a mooring before we source a 55-60 ft boat (by the end of this year) I reckon we need to start thinking about this now. Not sure though how the heck you start if I'm honest. We are not looking residential moorings at this point for now we are looking at a mooring we can reach relatively easily from East Cleveland (Between Saltburn and Whitby) within about 1 1/2 hours.

We've discounted Ripon racecourse marina as they only have vacancies for boats up to 10m at the mo and have had so for months now, also I'm not too enamoured with the idea of having to access the main system via the Ure/Ouse - going there and back, that'll probably take up most of any weekends we have anyway.

We can get to Skipton by car in around 90 mins so around this area would be good - or equally 90 mins down the M1 would be fine too. Reasonable security would be good along with somewhere to park the car whilst we are off on the boat - so I am inclined towards a marina - but realise other (less expensive :lol: ) options exist for this too.

This is one of the chores of living so far from England's canal system and enjoying boating!!

So how and where do we start looking - and any tips at all appreciated???.

Thanks in advance.

Edit as forgot to include the ever so slightly important info. about anticipated boat length :lol:

Edited by MJG

OK working to the advice we need to secure a mooring before we source a boat (by the end of this year) I reckon we need to start thinking about this now. Not sure though how the heck you start if I'm honest. We are not looking residential moorings at this point for now we are looking at a mooring we can reach relatively easily from East Cleveland (Between Saltburn and Whitby) within about 1 1/2 hours.

We've discounted Ripon racecourse marina as they only have vacancies for boats up to 10m at the mo and have had so for months now, also I'm not too enamoured with the idea of having to access the main system via the Ure/Ouse - going there and back, that'll probably take up most of any weekends we have anyway.

We can get to Skipton by car in around 90 mins so around this area would be good - or equally 90 mins down the M1 would be fine too. Reasonable security would be good along with somewhere to park the car whilst we are off on the boat - so I am inclined towards a marina - but realise other (less expensive :lol: ) options exist for this too.

This is one of the chores of living so far from England's canal system and enjoying boating!!

So how and where do we start looking - and any tips at all appreciated???.

Thanks in advance.

Last time I was at Barlick and lower park marina there were a good few gaps It seemed a nice place and Ive talked to a few folk there recently, You could try them Martin

:lol:

Hi Martin.

Hope you do well in your search, but slightly off topic, is a 60ft boat the ideal for northern canals?

Thought certain lengh constraints may limit you, or at the least at your proposed lengh make life a tad difficult!

I may be wrong(very often am).

Cheers

John.

Hi Martin.

Hope you do well in your search, but slightly off topic, is a 60ft boat the ideal for northern canals?

Thought certain lengh constraints may limit you, or at the least at your proposed lengh make life a tad difficult!

Cheers

John.

60ft on the L&L is about max and tight in the locks. I like my 47ft... turn her anywhere

Hi Martin.

Cheers

John.

Cheers John, we are more likely to be nearer 55 than 60, thanks for the nudge but we are well versed in max boat length on the L&L.

60ft on the L&L is about max and tight in the locks. I like my 47ft... turn her anywhere

Ditto Phil thanks

If driving time is important then you could consider Lemonroyd near Castleford. Google reckons it is 1hr 34 mins driving time from Saltburn, and I usually find it is conservative.

I see BWML describes the marina as "quaint". Not sure it is the word I'd use, but it is quite good for access to several waterways.

Skipton area is very nice, but you do have limited options for short range cruising. If you have more time then it is less of an issue.

//Mike

[

We are moored at Snaygill boats nr Skipton. Good safe mooring, nice people. Dont know if he can accomodate 60ft at the moment but there does seem to be some spare moorings. Defo worth a call

Phil

I moored there for a while, cracking marina, really enjoyed it there.

I'd stick to 57 foot too as The Calder and Hebble is very beautiful and it would be a shame to loose out on that stretch. It also gives easy access to the Rochdale Canal which is also great and now The Huddersfield Narrow Canal. I would 'loose' that 3 foot gladly for easy and safe lock use.

If it was me I would keep it to 55ft max then you can go anywhere 'up north'.

We have introduced a 55ft boat for our one-way trip incorporating the C&H but for your own boat you are perfectly ok up to 58 (or even 60ft if you want to be extra careful)

55ft boats are not that easy to come by.

Well thanks for all the suggestions, certainly brought out info. I didn't have already.

In terms of proximity to our current home I would say Lemonroyd Near Castleford as suggested by MikeV would be my front runner at the mo. Currently their web site is showing as them having no berths available but they are taking details so I think I'll give them a bell and register my interest. I see they are part of the same group that runs the marina at Ripon Racecourse.

Lower Park - looks nice (I remember it from when we passed in the August of last year) - but it's the 'wrong' side of Skipton from our end and is a fair old journey time (At least according to Multimap)

Snaygill at Skipton would be a possibility too though I seem to remember when we passed in August there a lot of boats were breasted up together which I'm guessing can be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're the boat on the inside. :lol:

Since posting last night I have thought that one thing I hadn't fully taken account of though was the fact that our boat purchase is likely to involve us selling our current and downsizing, that does create an opportunity to move somewhere that meets both our 'work travel' needs (for the last few years till we fully retire) and our 'travel to the boat' travel needs.

Thanks though for all the comments and for those who posted about boat length, thanks as I say for the reminder but we had clocked that from other info. we'd gleaned on here.

Well thanks for all the suggestions, certainly brought out info. I didn't have already.

In terms of proximity to our current home I would say Lemonroyd Near Castleford as suggested by MikeV would be my front runner at the mo. Currently their web site is showing as them having no berths available but they are taking details so I think I'll give them a bell and register my interest. I see they are part of the same group that runs the marina at Ripon Racecourse.

Lower Park - looks nice (I remember it from when we passed in the August of last year) - but it's the 'wrong' side of Skipton from our end and is a fair old journey time (At least according to Multimap)

Snaygill at Skipton would be a possibility too though I seem to remember when we passed in August there a lot of boats were breasted up together which I'm guessing can be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're the boat on the inside. :lol:

Since posting last night I have thought that one thing I hadn't fully taken account of though was the fact that our boat purchase is likely to involve us selling our current and downsizing, that does create an opportunity to move somewhere that meets both our 'work travel' needs (for the last few years till we fully retire) and our 'travel to the boat' travel needs.

Thanks though for all the comments and for those who posted about boat length, thanks as I say for the reminder but we had clocked that from other info. we'd gleaned on here.

The breasted up boats may have been their hire fleet on turn-a-round day. In any cse I've moored alongside others on various occasions and if it's where you want to be then it's no issue.

If you fancy the Lemonroyd area, there used to be some towpath moorings (and offside I think??) at Castleford which is a 'safe' (from a flood point of view) section of the river and gives you a few cruising options as you are right by the junction with the arm that leads to the Calder and Hebble and the main Air and Calder. I have a feeling there were some moorings at the next lock downriver too at Ferrybridge but I may be wrong, Ferrybridge is just off the motorway. There is another mooring length towards you from there before you get to the junction with the New Junction Canal possibley at Pollington Lock?? Anyone with more local knowledge may know better. I think there are various on line moorings between Lemonroyd and Leeds too.

There are usually moorings near Stanley Ferry too which is a lovely area (on line near the pub but also a couple of locks down) on the Calder and Hebble arm of the Aire and Calder. I moored at Stanley Ferry for a while and enjoyed it. Left a car there for three weeks free of charge when boat shuffling. Again, it's very near the motorway for commuting home but not too near for noise issues.

A drive around with a copy of Nicholsons (or other guides!!) is always useful when looking for moorings, or even a cruise in a day boat (with licence of course!!) can find you all sorts of obscure but beautiful (sometimes) and often reasonably priced moorings.

The breasted up boats may have been their hire fleet on turn-a-round day. In any cse I've moored alongside others on various occasions and if it's where you want to be then it's no issue.

If you fancy the Lemonroyd area, there used to be some towpath moorings (and offside I think??) at Castleford which is a 'safe' (from a flood point of view) section of the river and gives you a few cruising options as you are right by the junction with the arm that leads to the Calder and Hebble and the main Air and Calder. I have a feeling there were some moorings at the next lock downriver too at Ferrybridge but I may be wrong, Ferrybridge is just off the motorway. There is another mooring length towards you from there before you get to the junction with the New Junction Canal possibley at Pollington Lock?? Anyone with more local knowledge may know better. I think there are various on line moorings between Lemonroyd and Leeds too.

There are usually moorings near Stanley Ferry too which is a lovely area (on line near the pub but also a couple of locks down) on the Calder and Hebble arm of the Aire and Calder. I moored at Stanley Ferry for a while and enjoyed it. Left a car there for three weeks free of charge when boat shuffling. Again, it's very near the motorway for commuting home but not too near for noise issues.

A drive around with a copy of Nicholsons (or other guides!!) is always useful when looking for moorings, or even a cruise in a day boat (with licence of course!!) can find you all sorts of obscure but beautiful (sometimes) and often reasonably priced moorings.

Of course there is also the well hidden Fairies Hill mooring spot. We were there for a couple of years. I don't have contact details but the chap advertises in Towpath Talk occasionally as 'Boats Broad and Narrow'

Come and moor at Burton Waters :lol:

Cheers,

a tad too far I fear

- just Googled it though and it looks nice, though I think I would feel a bit 'odd man out' amongst all the GRP.....on second thoughts though I am partial to a Bombay Sapphire or three.... :lol: so I might fit in.

Hi - no defo. private boats - the hire boats moor further along in from of the yard buildings,

I hear what you are saying but do think extracting your boat from an inside mooring of 2 boats moored abreast must be a bit of a chew??

yea/ nay....

Edited by MJG

Cheers,

a tad too far I fear

- just Googled it though and it looks nice, though I think I would feel a bit 'odd man out' amongst all the GRP.....on second thoughts though I am partial to a Bombay Sapphire or three.... :lol: so I might fit in.

Dont be daft. :lol:

There are dedicated moorings for the narrowboats where they are given more room to manouvre :lol:

The shortest locks are on the Calder and Hebble so I believe; at 57'6". I know someone who went down them, fenders up, in a 59' boat.

We are 57'6'' and managed fine on the Calder and Hebble.

The moorings at Ferrybridge are visitor only, the nearest moorings to there are at Whitley Bridge - they come up for auction quite often.

Snaygill at Skipton would be a possibility too though I seem to remember when we passed in August there a lot of boats were breasted up together which I'm guessing can be a bit of a hassle, especially if you're the boat on the inside.

Im on a jetty there. One of the wide beams on it is for sale at the moment so may become vacant. worth askin

Phil

Cheers,

a tad too far I fear

Hi - no defo. private boats - the hire boats moor further along in from of the yard buildings,

I hear what you are saying but do think extracting your boat from an inside mooring of 2 boats moored abreast must be a bit of a chew??

yea/ nay....

No great problem if the outside boat has lines ashore, you can then just let go one end and slide out..we moored there for years doubled up, and never had any problems. :lol:

There appears to be plenty of moorings on the BW tender system around the Trent, Aire & Calder and SSYN at the moment

Cheers - still a fair old trip from home some of them and some not long enough BUT your post got me to the BW moorings auction site (after a quick google) and I'm now registered.

Still inclined to go for a marina mooring or at the very least an offside mooring with no general public access - not really happy about leaving a boat moored tow-path side unattended for days.... I guess loads on here will do it no problem but it does seem a heck of a risk.. :lol: