St Ollys rebuild

W+T

Featured Posts

I have been trying to sort this blog for a while and seam that this is the easiest way to start it here with out redoing it all, folow the link to the build and i will update it here from now on as i go.

I know its not a NB but in time i hope to have one, poss build my own from scratch, i have talked my better/more sensible half to do a liveabourd in the future, there is a lot to sort out in the mean time, all depends how this one goes as for just the enjoyment and what it would sell for if we sell it. Just glad to get on the cut and cruise a bit, i have had a few cruiser in the past but things have always come in the way, things were hard back then but know things are better i am on the way, new/much better wife and better life.

http://justcanals.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5229

Thats if this works.

wayne :lol:

I have been trying to sort this blog for a while and seam that this is the easiest way to start it here with out redoing it all, folow the link to the build and i will update it here from now on as i go.

I know its not a NB but in time i hope to have one, poss build my own from scratch, i have talked my better/more sensible half to do a liveabourd in the future, there is a lot to sort out in the mean time, all depends how this one goes as for just the enjoyment and what it would sell for if we sell it. Just glad to get on the cut and cruise a bit, i have had a few cruiser in the past but things have always come in the way, things were hard back then but know things are better i am on the way, new/much better wife and better life.

Thats if this works.

have you pixs of new and better wife ??.BOB :lol:

Thats if this works.

good work Wayne and not a naval architect in sight :lol:

Well Bob , i could post some but maybe not :lol::lol:

Been great day for it today, like a summer day but still a bit cold, not that you feel it when your busy.

Dont seem to haver done much to say i was going at it near none stop for around 6 hours. I needed to get the rear bulkhead fitted as the raer cabin was slightly out of shape when i removed the rotten one, you will see the 3x2 that i have jammed in place to push the top over a few inchs, once done i had to work around it to get the bulhead inplace and bond. Forgot how many times i smacked my head on the clamps, like the good old days of building 4x4`s.

As the front cabin is water tight, i mean its got windows now, i got my heater to help dry it out a bit as i will be doing the cockpit bulkeads in the next week and bond the floor inplace so i need it nice and dry. Almost forgot, the new window will be here this week so that the main job of the week with the rear window to be done.

I mite be pushing it but i hope to have it on the water for about mid june......(i think i mite of already said that, see its been a long day). It wont be completed but useable so we can cruise and work on it.

Well some boring pics.

Was a good idea to save the original bulheads to use a templates, made things a lot easyer, not that there was much left of them after i ripped them out.

The ones i have fitted are near the same as the cockpit ones, just need a bit of a trim to get a better fit. the raer bulkheads are of 18mm ply and the cockpit ones are of 2 sheets of 9mm with insulaition inbetween.

tn_IMG_0755.jpg

Here i set them inplace and clamped them to keep them level with each other.

You can see the 3x2 which is keeping it all square.

tn_IMG_0756.jpg

See sprit levels do come in handy on boats ;)

tn_IMG_0759.jpg

All bonded, not removed the 3x2 yet so dont know if it will hold it in place, not that i am worried.

tn_IMG_0761.jpg

tn_IMG_0762.jpg

I will be back up tomorrow night after work for a few hours, and to see if the rear heads hold out the shape. If it all goes this slow i better make the maiden voyage next year :lol:

Been thinking today what to use for the top edging/rubbing strake, i like the idea of a thick rope, about 45-50mm but not sure if it will sag to much at times as the rope i have been told to use is coir, this shrinks and stretchs dependent on the moisture it absorbs. Then there is sapele hard wood like what i used for the windows, that would be the cheaper option as the rope will cost £140.

Whiule i was there today i got pics to send to the chaps to give me a quoate for the cockp[it side to be made from vinyl, i was going to make solid door but they will b e harder to store when the top goes back. Canvas ones will be nioce and easy to roll up and still be attached when the roof goes back.

Well thats todays efforts, and feeling it to :lol:

Well Bob , i could post some but maybe not :lol::lol:

Been great day for it today, like a summer day but still a bit cold, not that you feel it when your busy.

Dont seem to haver done much to say i was going at it near none stop for around 6 hours. I needed to get the rear bulkhead fitted as the raer cabin was slightly out of shape when i removed the rotten one, you will see the 3x2 that i have jammed in place to push the top over a few inchs, once done i had to work around it to get the bulhead inplace and bond. Forgot how many times i smacked my head on the clamps, like the good old days of building 4x4`s.

As the front cabin is water tight, i mean its got windows now, i got my heater to help dry it out a bit as i will be doing the cockpit bulkeads in the next week and bond the floor inplace so i need it nice and dry. Almost forgot, the new window will be here this week so that the main job of the week with the rear window to be done.

I mite be pushing it but i hope to have it on the water for about mid june......(i think i mite of already said that, see its been a long day). It wont be completed but useable so we can cruise and work on it.

Well some boring pics.

Was a good idea to save the original bulheads to use a templates, made things a lot easyer, not that there was much left of them after i ripped them out.

The ones i have fitted are near the same as the cockpit ones, just need a bit of a trim to get a better fit. the raer bulkheads are of 18mm ply and the cockpit ones are of 2 sheets of 9mm with insulaition inbetween.

tn_IMG_0755.jpg

Here i set them inplace and clamped them to keep them level with each other.

You can see the 3x2 which is keeping it all square.

tn_IMG_0756.jpg

See sprit levels do come in handy on boats ;)

tn_IMG_0759.jpg

All bonded, not removed the 3x2 yet so dont know if it will hold it in place, not that i am worried.

tn_IMG_0761.jpg

tn_IMG_0762.jpg

I will be back up tomorrow night after work for a few hours, and to see if the rear heads hold out the shape. If it all goes this slow i better make the maiden voyage next year :lol:

Been thinking today what to use for the top edging/rubbing strake, i like the idea of a thick rope, about 45-50mm but not sure if it will sag to much at times as the rope i have been told to use is coir, this shrinks and stretchs dependent on the moisture it absorbs. Then there is sapele hard wood like what i used for the windows, that would be the cheaper option as the rope will cost £140.

Whiule i was there today i got pics to send to the chaps to give me a quoate for the cockp[it side to be made from vinyl, i was going to make solid door but they will b e harder to store when the top goes back. Canvas ones will be nioce and easy to roll up and still be attached when the roof goes back.

Well thats todays efforts, and feeling it to :lol:

good pixs . like the rope idea but it may sag or worse snag up in locks.keep up the good work .bob.

Hi Bob, yes i agree on using rope, could be a but of trouble that. Mite aswell stick with the sapele hardwood.

I went up last night to do a bit as said, not easy by spot light to work on in. I got another bulkhead half fitted, just need more GRP laying up, then its the front one so i can make the cockpit up. I am going to fit the gas locker in the cockpit to hold 2 six KG cylinders, i will havew to sink them into a filler which is going to be made from 6mm GRP to fit with BSS standards, i need ti make a filler as to bring the locker floor/drain up high enough above water level.

Oh and on the windows, thre is a few leeks, i have to admit i for got to finish the putty joints of around the glass and beading so by weekend i will once again have an indoor pool :lol: .

My god theres so much to do, yet to make a new roof hatch for the front cabin, there is one small one also in the rear, about 6"x8", not sure wether to blank it off yet as it is very close to the galley and loo bulkhead. Just the messing around of cutting it out and blanking it off. At the minutye i could just block it off and do a nice job later in summer time, we will see.

I have been trying to get Tracey to come and give a hand on a few bits, i am getting there...slowly, the firts job isnt to pleasent though as its sanding all the interor down to remove all the loose paint so the new roof linin will stick, all i have i an small orbital snader, but hen Tracey sanded all the out side of the boat down with it before we painted it last summer...very proud of her i was :lol: , only taken her 3 days :lol: , and whole load of pads and numb fingers.

Keep saying to myself.....IT WILL BE DONE

It's looking great so far, I think the exterior looks as good as new. Do the new windows open? If not I think you will need both roof hatches.

Hi there, i am affriad the windows dont open, not that good at joinery, but i have managed to make the rear cabin one be opening it is ok for the rear as its only a small one but wouldnt of looked right for the side windows as its a lot more bulky, i will be fitting it this weekend with the other rear window.

I am keeping the front roof hatch but not sure on the rear one, been thinking lastnite, i could blanck off the small one in the rear and do a bigger a little further back so it doesnt inerfer with the bulkhead.

Had a bit of a shock at the price of new canvas sides to be made.........£411.25p :lol: , looks like i will be making a set of hardwood doors for it, well i will be saving about £350 which cant be bad..

• 2 weeks later...

What a week again, freezing so cant do any deck fittings or fibreglassing so got on with the cockpit lockers etc. I decided to have the LPG locker on the starboard side and the batteries on the port with a little storage, It needs bonding in places but is strong as is, mostly the bulkheads need it. Good job BnQ are near by as always i run out of stuff, had to go twice as ran out of timber. I finished early today as run out again as started on the front cabin.

tn_IMG_0772.jpg

tn_IMG_0773.jpg

With the tops cut to allow a access hatch and got the central floor done, the water tank will be going under there

tn_IMG_0775.jpg

tn_IMG_0778.jpg

The LPG cylinders will be sunck into a filler of foam rating of 2hr fire rating, cant remeber the BS code but its good stuff, BSS state a fire resistent time of half an hour so well with in the limit, around the foam will be a layup of GRP, i will be doing that this week and get the pics up so easyer to understand. But this is where they will be, the filler will come upto half the cylinder, about where the central floor botton is in the locker.

tn_IMG_0782.jpg

tn_IMG_0783.jpg

I am not sure how many batteries i need yet but there is loads of room for even four 110amp, not that i will need all that, more likly just have 2.

tn_IMG_0780.jpg

Will be back up tomoz to get on with the front cabin, not sure how to set it out yet, upto know i have decided to have a storage cabinet on the port side as you go in the a stove opposite with a large V seating/berth.

well toodlepip folks, of for a tipple or two....or three......mmmm maybe not to much as up early again, cant go waisting time in bed tomoz with a bad head, count down has begun to the end of june.

Edited by W+T

Well as i have been messing with making a stove i have not done enough to St Ollys, i managed to bond the floor and make the gas locker floor, the locker floor is to have a filler of expanding fire foam to fit in with BSS and the GRP is 6mm thick to comply. This will hold two 7kg cylinders.

i made a mould from MDF which is laminated to release easy with a little PVA release agent.

tn_IMG_0807.jpg

locker mould and cast

tn_IMG_0810.jpg

tn_IMG_0813.jpg

The water tank arrived so i tryed a trial fit, just fits aswell, thank god, didnt fancy cutting out to squeeze it in.

Seem to be getting to a stage now not knowing what to do next, i think i should get one job completed before i start the next, but then what ever i do its al getting done.

Had a bit of bad news the other day, the mooring i was inline for at the yard i am at has gone, a few more NB`s have arrived and taken the space, so looks like i am on the hunt for a new mooring, not needed though untill end of june, thats iff all goes to plan.

Got an engine sorted aswell, forgot about that, i am waiting to see when the chap can sort delivery out, he should of been in touch a few days ago but nothing yet. Why cant i buy things near home instead of a few hundred miles away, me in manchester the engine in devon.

There is a boat jumble on soon so we are going shiopping, cant wait, never been to one before, i need a few things for the engine like remote cables and service parts plus loads of bit for the boat, the list would be endless as you will know.

tn_IMG_0803.jpg

no its going here, be in the way there. better to go here

tn_IMG_0804.jpg

In the moring i will be off up again, hang on, in a few hours time, been up since 2am, just cant sleep, well as i was saying, later today i am going to do the frame work in the main cabin, seats etc, the pics show a little of what i started last week, the stove will be on the right and TV cabinet opposite, the berths will be the V type with a table and large double berth aswell/or 2 single berths.

anyway i think i will try and get a few hours kip before i set off.

see ya :lol:

Gas lockers. Even if you have fire-retardant foam up to the level you show, I thought that you had to have a drain to the outside from the effective floor level?

I will have a look which code it is on the BSS site and post it up, but it shows and says the if the filler is so far up the cylinders then the drain is level eith the filler floor level.

I will go and see if i can find it.

• 2 weeks later...

Gas locker near done, just need to laminate the lid and fill the cavity.

tn_IMG_0850.jpg

tn_IMG_0852.jpg

Frame wrok done and got most od the insulation fitted in the front cabin as cany do all of it as i need acess to fit the top rubing strake.

tn_IMG_0846.jpg

tn_IMG_0848.jpg

tn_IMG_0849.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not posted on here for a while so i thopugh i should update this bit first, i have been busy tryign to sort a mooring as i want it afloat asap, as you can see there is a whole lot to do still but its water tight and somewhere to sit and even rough it for a nice summer evening on the cut with a wee tipple or two.....maybe three :lol: , only after a days graft to get it done though, need to earn my feet up me.

So i have found a mooring in Adlington on the L&L just south of Chorley next to White Bear Marina on farm moorings, very good rate, no services just water but thats all i need, cheap and cheerfull, nice spot too, so at the minute my concerns are to get it the exterior painted, engine fitted with remotes and we am off :lol:

I have done the hull sides just need to get the Antifoul done, was going to do it this weekend but i ahve some jobs on to fund the boating so cant say no. I did the hull last weekend, sorry WE did the hull :lol: , cant forget the help from SWMBO, she did a good job...ish ;) , i couldnt of done the strakes without her, a great help, yes its looking a bit nbetter now as we got the deck fitting done the same weekend.

I will show some bits of the progress, i did a bit more before i found the mooring, i made some storage spaces in the front cabin, never have enough hey, one in front of where the stove is going to go and one under the step

tn_IMG_0869.jpg

Now the strakes were easy to sort realy just had to be carefull where to drill and counter sink them as the bolts that fix the top deck to the hull could be in the way so i had to measure and work out where to drill them, as i was making the strakes at home i had to go to the boat and take measurements.

tn_IMG_0874.jpg

I gave them three coats of the same dutch oil as the window frames, but as i was going to seal whjere the holes were i taped over the holes on the inner side to give a good contact for the sealent otherwse there could be leaks ahead, not good once all is fitted out. But then i bet it will rain before i get to that point :lol:

Oh yes i got a sink for the heads and couldnt resist to fit it temp, just to see how it would go

tn_IMG_0872.jpg

I have started on the helm but having problems with the steering i have as they dont make cables for the helm head stock so i need to sort somethin gelse out, i do have some cables but they are about 8 foot to short. I can bodge somethin gi am sure just to get me to the mooring.

tn_IMG_0871.jpg

And the hull painted with all deck fittings done.

tn_IMG_0894.jpg

tn_IMG_0892.jpg

tn_IMG_0891.jpg

tn_IMG_0890.jpg

As i am so chuffed with the top strake i have decided to do the lower ones the same once at the mooring.

So as they say `all hands on deck` to get done asap for a summer launch :lol::lol:

Are you still at Hapton?

If so, I'm just down the road in Padiham, currently green with envy...

If you need a hand with anything, or need supplies dropping off then please let me know!

Janet

Are you still at Hapton?

If so, I'm just down the road in Padiham, currently green with envy...

If you need a hand with anything, or need supplies dropping off then please let me know!

Janet

Hi Janet, thanks for the offer and interst, the boat is still at Hapton, only untill end of May i hope, all i need is a few gallon of antifoul, i have been looking at a few types and as budget is running low and it is a good paint i think, i will go with Flag cruising antifoul, i was just talking to a chap about using bitumen but not sure on a GRP, thinking of the resale, not that i will but that was the plan at first, but as i have spent so much not just cash but swet and blood, no tears yet, i have decided to keep it.

Once again thanks Janet. I should be there next weekend if i sort the antifoul, so your welcome to pop around, but when i am working i am working if you know what i mean :lol:

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

One step closer :lol: , just another few yards to go, bit of a bummer though as i wont be there to see it go in, the yard owner wants it to go in tomorro (friday) instead of saturday an di cant get out of work that soon, was a bit cheesed off today with this but now i have got home and chilled out and a quick pint i feel better, they did want me to move also from there mooring and to my new one, not a chance though as i need to sort out the engine cables and a few bits and bobs.

T has just been making a list of what we need for next weekend when we move it to the new mooring :lol: , she put alcohol 6th on the list, no sense of priority some folk :lol:

In the last few weeks we have been doing the rest of the deck fitings and painting the hull, now i did plan on using proper antifoul untill folk said there is no point on a canal cruiser as it only goes a few knots, i see the sense there realy, i was shown a few GRP boats that used bitumous paint, seemed a good idea and i went with it, i got some at first without thinking about the stuff its made of, well it wouldnt do the water much good with the chemicals it is made of, so i got some that was passed by the water ways by laws, i am a fisherman aswell anmal lover and would hate the idea of adding to pollution.

I near ran out of the stuff but i got a good coat on plus extra around the main points like the keel and bow etc. I used 2.5l but another 1l would of done the trick even better, to late now though as its in soon.

Must say its looks better now its in the open, i need to get some canvas doors made asap, getting fed up of the tarpaulin.

tn_IMG_0926.jpg

tn_IMG_0927.jpg

tn_IMG_0925.jpg

It looks great. You should post a before and after together.

As soon as the exterior is done i think i will, would be good to see the difference :lol: still a whole lot to do on the interior though, still hope its in a more usable stae in four months though as still planning the lancaster cruise.

Oh my god , what a day its been, great day but hard work, sat here now havin another pint of bow waiting for sunday chops n the lot

We got there about dinner time so i fitted the cables clips i needed sorted the fule tank and made the other template for the wheelhouse sides before the launch.

The launch went without a problem even though there was bit of a breeze up, thats what was bothering me all the time realy, i wasnt sure if to take a maden cruise as witht he last boat i had these buggers can drift like a kite, which it did

I got T to take the pics as me and christine, the yard owner helped launch. I was impressed how it sat with the antifoul, nice and level as i wasnt sure where to do it to, all i had was some pics of the internet and some left on previuosly.

Once in i checked for leaks and nothing, thank goodness, so tied up while we got a bite to eat and the obvious. I thoguht heck lets do a cruise for an hour or so, a bit breezy but i was that buzzing i just thought heck with it........i need patience

Well fired up the engine, easy bit, pushed off, another easy bit, and away we go, so i thought LOL, stalled the enhine within seconds and the wind takes us into a moored NB , the chap was aboard as we were chatting about where we can over nite next weekend, certainly went with a clonk, and JUST missed his window

Well got it started with out a problem and off we set again, well for another few hundred yards when i stalled it again, this time i had a bad feeling, the pull start wouldnt budge.........&%£%$ its seized, got i moored up to see whats wrong, i couldnt get it going as the pull cord was stuck fast so thats what made me think it was seized.

Now we were a few hundered yards from the mooring so i managed to jump to the bank with the bow rope and let the wind swing it around to face the right way, i moored it again to see if i could sort it but nothing. So i decided to pull it back to the mooring, well i decided T will

tn_IMG_0964.jpg

Who needs an engine

Got it back to the mooring and found it was me in the panic that i had it in gear still, only slightly and the safety catch was in place . Good job realy as the fuel line was leaking as already cracked, replaced it and waited for my mate to arrive before we set off again, much to T`s dismay.

We sett of into the wind this time, was that bit easyer and all was well for a while.........then the gear cable come off, i was going to have a go at mooring up but when i went to select reverse ther was nothing, not even forward , the hook i made had come loose and the cable had come off the bracket, quick fix and memo to fit a nyloc nut and we were of again. Going was good so i thought, the steering aint the best as i have bodge up cables until i get to the new mooring next week, it takes a bit to turn and needs a good half turn before it does anything. getting the nack though.

Me `n` Thee got a few battle scars just in half a mile but nothing that bothered me much, from the sounds it was worse, one gave the deck hands a bit of a shock.

Edited by W+T