Famous folk on the cut

Pirate

Featured Posts

Well then anybody come across any famous folk on the canals yet?

I`m told theres loads, like the guy from "Raiders of the lost Ark" who, I`m told has a boat on the Llangollen canal.

Is this true? If so I wonder who built the boat for him, or for any of the other famous folk that you may know of.

Cliff Richards has a place not far from me and I`ve met him in the local shop.

Just wondered? :) I dont fancy being the only famous one here he he hehehehe

Edited by Pirate

I`m told theres loads, like the guy from "Raiders of the lost Ark" who, I`m told has a boat on the Llangollen canal.

Harrison Ford, his wife and young child spent a couple of days on a hire boat on the Llangollen a while ago. I was told he also stayed in a hotel rather than on the boat!

Despite this, the press coverage was enormous - so his short break must have been preceeded by a widespread press release - nothing like a bit of publicity eh?

Harrison Ford, his wife and young child spent a couple of days on a hire boat on the Llangollen a while ago. I was told he also stayed in a hotel rather than on the boat!

Despite this, the press coverage was enormous - so his short break must have been preceeded by a widespread press release - nothing like a bit of publicity eh?

I was told that the fleet street hacks surrounded his boat every time it stopped, poking their camera's into the windows and that was why he used local hotels. But who knows ?

Well then anybody come across any famous folk on the canals yet?

Is this true? If so I wonder who built the boat for him, or for any of the other famous folk that you may know of.

Cliff Richards has a place not far from me and I`ve met him in the local shop.

Just wondered? :blush:I dont fancy being the only one he he hehehehe

Have you seen Cliff's 1973 film "Take me High"? It's a truly dreadful film, which has him living on a narrowboat in the centre of Birmingham. Strangely it must be like the Tardis because the inside cabin is at least 15 feet square in some shots. The pictures of him commuting to work along the BCN on a hovercraft are amazing.

But the film is actually rather prophetic, because he has the idea of revitalising the Gas Street area by opening a fast-food restaurant (selling "Brumburgers")

Theres an Eastend actor, dont know which one, has a boat at Market Drayton. Also The fellow who plays Poirot (?) has an electric powered boat I'm told. Dont know where though.

the girl "saffi?" from Ab Fab lives on a boat on the K&A i think........

Poirot: David Suchet

Saffi: Julia Sawalha

I know sad that I am :)

Edited by bottle

Don't know anyone famous with a boat.

But years ago, when I worked as Saturday help on a hire fleet, one of the hirers was Babara Castle, then Transport Secretary in the Labour government of the day, famous as being a non driver.

I think she must have been a non-canal driver as well, as the boat returned with the wooden cabin equivalent of the pictures Daniel posted the other day - one corner of the cabin well smashed against a bridge-hole.

A very hasty make and mend repair had to be done, as the boat was due out again same day. The new hirers had to avoid the wet paint on that corner until dry.

Poirot: David Suchet

Saffi: Julia Sawalha

I know sad that I am :)

What was the name of the teenage program on in the late 80s/early 90s where Julia Sawalha played a 16 year old newspaper editor? I thought I had died and gone to heaven, ahh the days of being a teenager...

:)

Alex Lester the Radio 2 presenter lives on "The Black Pig" in Birmingham during the week whilst up here to do his shows, and commutes to Hastings at the weekends.

Zita Sattar (Staff Nurse Anna Paul in "Casualty") Opened the Braunston Boat Show this year aboard the steamer "President", her great grandfather was it's first Captain.

Tony :)

What was the name of the teenage program on in the late 80s/early 90s where Julia Sawalha played a 16 year old newspaper editor? I thought I had died and gone to heaven, ahh the days of being a teenager...

:)

Press Gang! I remember that......... :)

I thought the thread was about "famous" boaters. I've never heard of most of the people mentioned here. Whilst I do know of those fine actors David Suchet and Timothy Spall, who or what is Chris Pollard, Eric Chittell, Julie Sawalhia, Press Gang, Casualty, Alex Lester and the rest of it. If I haven't heard of them they aint famous. Unless you believe fame is represented adequately by somebody who once played a corpse in some obscure soap.

I think in general that "famous" people, rather than the predominantly nonentities mentioned here, will have nothing to do with canalling. Those inclined to water are far more likely to have luxury sea going craft.

regards

Sooty bought a new boat from Warble Boat-builders just a few years ago. I think Corbet junior drives it for him. Does he still have his hammer ? probably another victim of political correctness.

Named "Midnight", it used to be a regular on the river Wey.

Not actually a boater as far as I'm aware but NBT pair Nuneaton & Brighton used to deliver coal to Anton Rogers river Thames side home in the Reading area.

Edited by Hairy-Neil

I think it's completely wrong to name people, their boats and locations on a forum on the internet.

I notice most of the people posting details are not willing to post the name and location of their own boats.

Moderators?

I don't think anyone has gone into detail about locations for our celeb's. They are all public figures to some extent so I don't think we can be doing any damage.

If anyone has any particularly strong views we could look at it again.

Yes John 'celebs' such as they are, go to the canal to get away from the limelight. We should not be 'celeb spotting', it's very crass.