Newbie wanting advice

mayallb

Featured Posts

I recently put an offer in on a boat. A 1997 stow hill. The surveyor I chose told me not to bother even taking it out of the water and said walk away. The hulls are rubbish. Can this be true? Anyone out there know more about these boats. I thought they were supposed to be the bees knees. Have I picked the wrong surveyor?

I recently put an offer in on a boat. A 1997 stow hill. The surveyor I chose told me not to bother even taking it out of the water and said walk away. The hulls are rubbish. Can this be true? Anyone out there know more about these boats. I thought they were supposed to be the bees knees. Have I picked the wrong surveyor?

My initial thought is why doubt him?

Do you suspect the boat is a darling and hes trying to bag a bargain himself?

I have had good boats out the water that have been rubbish and proven the seller to be a total liar if that makes you feel better about walking away!

Edited by OffGridManc

With a username like that i do so hope you're intending to continuously cruise.

Is he saying this because he doesn't like Stowe Hill boats? Or has he seen this one?

It's a bit beyond his brief to comment on the marque.

There are plenty of them about, they are fairly idiosyncratic in design but I've never heard that they are bad boats. If you like the look then carry on with a different surveyor.

Edited by Chris Pink

Have you actually paid the surveyor for this opinion? Has the surveyor seen the boat?

If not, there are plenty of other surveyors you could get a second opinion from

Richard

It is possible that this surveyor has seen this actual boat before

With a username like that i do so hope you're intending to continuously cruise.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd like to think we are not being wound up here, honest I would, but I'm not so sure.

(Apologies to poster if this is all one big coincidence!).

Assuming it's in good faith.....

Stowe Hill boats are well regarded, but usually fairly quirky in terms of their unusual hull shapes, (bows particularly).

If the appearance is to your taste, I know nothing to suggest a 13 year old Stowe Hill boat should not have lasted as well as any other of a similar age.

The surveyors comments seem very strange, if it's really as clear cut as you are posting it.

No you are not being wound up but as my partners name is mayall and the first name begins with b having followed canalworld for some time without registering before it was irresistible.

Thanks for the answers. No I didn't pay the surveyor he offered that as an opinion based on experience. Said the welding was very poor with lots of use of body filler even on the bottom palte. Boat is from 1996 by the way. have also found out noe that the broker has had it fail 2 surveys already so a little p offed hat they didn't say so in the first place. No money has changed hands hooray. Now looking for a Les Allen or a Norton Caines on advice and happy to wait.

Will then become a CC in the Manchester area :lol:

I have just bought (well, before Christmas) a 1992 Stowe Hill boat. The hull survey was excellent, showing minimal pitting and a good build quality. The interior is like new almost. Ok, this was a Stowe Hill built hull and a 1993 fit out for a very particular owner. Stowe Hill was owned by peter Hill then. I know he retired and sold the business, but not sure when. maybe your target has been badly neglected?

But, inherently, their boats of that era seem good.

Keith

No you are not being wound up but as my partners name is mayall and the first name begins with b having followed canalworld for some time without registering before it was irresistible.

Thanks for the answers. No I didn't pay the surveyor he offered that as an opinion based on experience. Said the welding was very poor with lots of use of body filler even on the bottom palte. Boat is from 1996 by the way. have also found out noe that the broker has had it fail 2 surveys already so a little p offed hat they didn't say so in the first place. No money has changed hands hooray. Now looking for a Les Allen or a Norton Caines on advice and happy to wait.

Edited by jelunga

I have just bought (well, before Christmas) a 1992 Stowe Hill boat. The hull survey was excellent, showing minimal pitting and a good build quality. The interior is like new almost. Ok, this was a Stowe Hill built hull and a 1993 fit out for a very particular owner. Stowe Hill was owned by peter Hill then. I know he retired and sold the business, but not sure when. maybe your target has been badly neglected?

But, inherently, their boats of that era seem good.

Keith

I asked a second surveyor who said the same although he ws prepared to go ahead. I'm sure yours is fine but a boat with 2 failed surveys is not for me. I want steel not isopon in the gaps.

Oh, and you also decided to use the same avatar as me, just so you could create confusion by posting stuff that people would assume was coming from me.

Dirty, underhand tactics.

Oh, and you also decided to use the same avatar as me, just so you could create confusion by posting stuff that people would assume was coming from me.

Dirty, underhand tactics.

Don't think anyone could confuse your comments with someone elses Dave! However it is a shame that someone with an obviously limited amount of creativity should copy your identity almost to the letter! :lol:

Don't think anyone could confuse your comments with someone elses Dave! However it is a shame that someone with an obviously limited amount of creativity should copy your identity almost to the letter! :lol:

I understand, from Liam, that he has identified the culprit.

I understand, from Liam, that he has identified the culprit.

Are we going to see another 'extermination' by Liam - he's bumped a fair old few off over recent days - clearly a man not to be messed with.

Are we going to see another 'extermination' by Liam - he's bumped a fair old few off over recent days - clearly a man not to be messed with.

Well, clearly I'd like to see the culprit exposed, but I don't know what Liam has planned.