What is this engine?

Geoffrey Hammond

Featured Posts

On Apolloduck, there is a replica tug for sale.

It is quoted as having a vintage regas engine. Could someone tell me about such an engine?

Many thanks.

riga's were or maybe still are vintage technology but newly manufactured russian engines.

What is wrong with this boat? I presume that you are referring to 'Stormbringer' . It is almost permanently for sale. When we were 'doing our research' it was for sale at Braunston, in an unfinished state. Very cheaply done, looked as though the 'builders/fitters had run out of money but quite nice outside with very shiney paint. It was this boat and especially the Lyons Wharf/Mel Davis tug that confirmed that they were the thing for us.

Edited by PaddingtonBear

We ( Marine Engine Services Ltd) we the importers and agents for Rigas Diesels in the Uk

due to currency exchange rates and demands from the factory we decided to cease our involvement with them

We do however have some stock remaining for sale but no engines

Hope this helps

Chris

We ( Marine Engine Services Ltd) we the importers and agents for Rigas Diesels in the Uk

due to currency exchange rates and demands from the factory we decided to cease our involvement with them

We do however have some stock remaining for sale but no engines

Hope this helps

Chris

Jesus I am very slow on the uptake! I've just twigged who you are!

• 4 months later...
What is wrong with this boat? I presume that you are referring to 'Stormbringer' . It is almost permanently for sale. When we were 'doing our research' it was for sale at Braunston, in an unfinished state. Very cheaply done, looked as though the 'builders/fitters had run out of money but quite nice outside with very shiney paint. It was this boat and especially the Lyons Wharf/Mel Davis tug that confirmed that they were the thing for us.

Not sure but it was at Great Haywood earlier this year for 33k and has now popped up on A-Duck for an extra 10k !

Geoffrey, we had one of these in our last boat 'Batto'. We bought it from Baldock and his accomplices.

It was a Rigas Dizelis PM24 2-cylinder. Riga is the capital of Latvia. As I understand it, the Krauts built a factory there when they occupied Eastern Europe in the early 1940s. They turned out copies of a then-current Deutz engine. After the war the factory just kept on turning out the engines and as far as I know they still do.

Our engine looked good (Lister green and bits to polish!), had ample power but, like many old-style engines, was smoky until it warmed up. The steerer was never disturbed by noises from the bank or from the crew at the pointy end because he could not hear them - the engine made a good authentic noise (maximum rpm 1,800) and plenty of it. When we sold the boat the engine was a major selling point (for the male half of the couple who bought it anyway).

So the engine in that tug is vintage by nature but not chronologically. Go for it!

EDITED TO ADD: the advert for this boat says that the engine was voted "Best sound of 2008". By whom? And what did these experts vote for as the best sound of 2009?

Edited by Athy