Glueing battens and insulation boards.

Featured Posts

I read that the best way to apply insulation boards is with a proprietry glue like marine Flex, but what about battens? Can they be glued, considering that they would support one and other? Or is there another method, other than the welded lugs?

Thanks

That's ruined my suggestion :lol:

I've been thinking the same, 'Marine Flex' seems to get a good reviews, i'm going to glue and screw the battens to the available steel frame work, glue the ones needed to the cabinsides then line it with ply, 1/2" ply is very strong and would take a fair bit of weight as long as the support centres were reasonable and secure. Any wall finishes would be applied to the front of the ply, the only difference I might make will be the bedroom, i will try and gain as much width as possible for the cross bed, so any wall covering, T&G etc will be fixed direct to the battens which will be fitted along side the steel ribs rather than the face giving a little extra width.

For the insulation boards i was going use the same marine flex but I was going to experiment with either a series of spots with a sealing line around the edges to prevent any water ingress behind the insulation, seal the gaps with spray void filler and aluminium tape over the seams then a waterproof membrane (i just happen to have some) over the lot.

Still not sure how to maintain an airdap between the ply and the insulation but I suppose all will be clear once I get the boat and start to measure up.

Bear in mind i've never done it before, so more knowledgeable ideas and opinions could follow and i'm prepared to change my ideas in an instant :lol:

Paul

You won't fancy doing it this way. :lol:

On the sides - obviously above the gunnels - you can use self drilling self tappers straight through the batten and through the side of the boat - into the outside world - then grind them off and fill the area before painting.

I knew you wouldn't fancy that method - but its exactly how mine was done (by an established and longstanding builder) and from what I'm told others use exactly the same method, to reduce distortion. :lol:

I read that the best way to apply insulation boards is with a proprietry glue like marine Flex, but what about battens? Can they be glued, considering that they would support one and other? Or is there another method, other than the welded lugs?

Thanks

Hi

Haven't we just had this topic?

Clicky

Alex

You won't fancy doing it this way. :lol:

On the sides - obviously above the gunnels - you can use self drilling self tappers straight through the batten and through the side of the boat - into the outside world - then grind them off and fill the area before painting.

I knew you wouldn't fancy that method - but its exactly how mine was done (by an established and longstanding builder) and from what I'm told others use exactly the same method, to reduce distortion. :lol:

That's how ours are done, both original and our refitted ones. Gripfill along the batten, then just three screws in from outside, put in with a blob of silicone in the holes to try and avoid wicking down the screw. Ceiling ones are the same, and on CaveatEmptor, they've got a huge over-bed cabin storage arrangement hung on them, full of clothes and tools.

PC