The joys of finding a new name....

luctor et emergo

Featured Posts

Our boat is named after my wife, who put up with me for the past 2 years, after me being dianosed with cancer, long weeks of chemo,2 operations and me being a complete pain in the arse.

Last year my wife concided to us buying a boat and living on it, and nearly a year on, were still having the time of our life.

col

oh well, at least that is an option I don't have to consider... :lol:

It looks like I may be spending more time on my boat than I initialy anticipated.

The shortest boat name I've seen on the canals was that of a boat moored at Springwood Haven: K2. Whether the owner was an enthusiast of mountaineering or of LNER steam locomotives I never found out.

Choosing a new name sounds easier than it is. We inherited OAK MOON, which is a name for a type of moon, the waning one in autumn I think, bit too new-age for us (used to be moored at Hebden Bridge). So we chose LION, nice and short for painting costs - Admiral Beatty's flagship at the Battle of Jutland, but I secretly hankered after DREADNOUGHT, but couldn't get my parner-in-crime to go along with it. Best of luck with your deliberations.

I'm not to worried about a longer name, because I will be using a technique to paint the name, which will be scorned upon by the purists, but ho hum, working boat and not a museum piece etc... :lol: It involves vinyl letters.. there, that's done it....

:lol:

In my mis spent youth I used to sail Fireball sailing dinghys

I had two red ones named Red Barrel and Tomato Sloop, as the boat rig style was a sloop rig

With these I had pictures of a Watneys Red barrel on the transom and a squeeze tomate sauce container, the type found in cafe's

My last Fireball was black and it was called Toucan Ball and had a Guinness Toucan on the transom.

Along this theme as the boat is a Narrowboat you could call it Narrow ****** squeek; escape; minded etc.

I'm not to worried about a longer name, because I will be using a technique to paint the name, which will be scorned upon by the purists, but ho hum, working boat and not a museum piece etc... :lol: It involves vinyl letters.. there, that's done it....

Well I've seen boat names done with stick on car number plates so I guess it will be a step above that....

unless???

something in Latin ?

~ http://www.wordgumbo.com/ie/rom/lat/erenglat.htm ~

~ http://www.wordgumbo.com/ie/rom/lat/index.htm ~

e.g. roar with laughter: cachinnare

i came up with a name years ago ..

use parts of names strung together .. 3 in all ..

( three heavy duty romantic attractions )

the result sounds like a latin name for a flower .. with essence of summer

.. 'cause first one aint far off 'July' :-) ..

dont go with vital spark.. seen too many dull green ones..

how about Fire-works.... or flambe or molatov ?

that boat with K2 wasnt the enigine type a a fine kelvin ?

coats on.. going to the door!!

I agree with Sue, short and punchy and cheaper to paint on the boat. Sue should know, her boat name's much longer than mine :lol:

edited to correct grammer

Now you know why our boat looks so shabby. We can't afford the lettering :lol:

Sue

I've said it before on here somwhere, I really like the idea of a square of blackboard paint, and a stick of chalk hanging near by, I or indeed others could change the name as often as they liked!

I'm not too worried about a longer name.......

In which case......

Kenina - feminine Gaelic 'born of fire'

Cinaed or Cianiodh - male Gaelic - 'born of fire' - pronounced 'Kenneth'

Keezheekoni - Native American (Cheyenne) 'fire'

Fiammetta - 'little fire'

Ethon - name of the giant eagle in Greek mythology. As punishment for giving fire to mankind, Zeus had Prometheus tied to a rock and let Ethon eat at his liver which regenerated every night. Bit gtruesome, but great story!