Morco D-61B/ D-61E - Leaking like a sieve...aahhh!!!!

Featured Posts

Hi all

We have been to boat this weekend for the first time since before Xmas (circumstanses, our dog very ill over the hols and beyond, so we couldn't leave him, and when P went to check during cold weather it was to make sure she,( the boat), hadn't sunk!!!)

Turned on water pump to find water piddling out of Murco heater, it was then I noticed sign saying "drain down during frost"

Took cover off and it is definatley coming from near the top of boiler, before the hot water comes out I can only assume that because of the severe temperatures we had for 4 plus weeks something has fractured.

Is this something that is fixable? or do we buy a new one? and can it be replaced?(BSS rgs, reading todays Paloma thread) and if so, if a gas safe engineer can't do it, who can? and why can't a gas safe engineer do it?

If this is the case can anyone recommend someone in West Yorkshire area ( we are at Lemonroyd Marina)

Anyone who can help with this query, your thoughts will be much appreciated

Thank you Lizzie and Paul

ps the boat started 1st time so all is not doom and gloom!!!! ( I am a "glass half empty" sort of person) :lol: :lol:

Sounds like the heat exchanger has suffered frost damage.

Some people have had success in various soldered or brazed repairs, but correct solution is probably a replacement unit.

Not cheap.

Here they are at Morco's own site

Morco heat exchanger Link

I think you can find them a bit cheaper if you Google around for a bit.

IMO it MAY be fixable - a few years back I had a similar occurrence with my Paloma - I

was able to remove the heat exchanger (without disturbing the gas side) solder the

split pipe and replace it, and it has been fine since (though I'm more cautious about

draining down at the first hint of cold weather). Unless it has multiple splits or the splits

are within the centre of the matrix then I think you should be able to repair it/ find

someone capable of repairing it. Failing that I would check with Morco re price/availability

of a replacement heat exchanger, morco d61b page, rather than replacing the whole unit.

As you dont liveaboard, AIUI, the regulations require a new paloma or equivalent to be

fitted by a "Competant Person", if you search the site you will find much debate as to

the actual meaning and consequences of this.

Repairing your existing unit or replacing damaged parts with new does mean that as far as

your BSS is concerned the appliance has not changed. Though it still requires someone with

at least some plumbing/mechanical competance to do the job.

springy

edited to say beaten to it by alans speedy typing

Edited by springy

Repairing your existing unit or replacing damaged parts with new does mean that as far as

your BSS is concerned the appliance has not changed.

That is a non-issue now, I think, as it is now perfectly OK to replace the whole unit, (in BSS terms).

http://www.morcoproducts.co.uk/component-5..._Exchanger.html

yes thats where the water is coming from alan, it would be cheaper than a complete new boiler, which is what we thought we would need, would rather just replace part

Reccomend you do not throw the old one away, get it repaired, they can be brazed up, then next time you forget you have a temporary repair while you hunt for your next replacement!

Depends where on the heat exchanger the leak is, but I'm not totally sure I'd trust a leak mended with a an ordinary solder if close to the bottom.

OK it will theoretically be "water cooled" afterwards, but the flames don't half lick up these things, and I'm not sure localised heating couldn't melt it away.

OK it will theoretically be "water cooled" afterwards, but the flames don't half lick up these things, and I'm not sure localised heating couldn't melt it away.

I don't know the Morco, but I'd certainly have a go at fixing it with JB Weld. It withstands temperatures of up 500F according to their blurb.

Depends where on the heat exchanger the leak is, but I'm not totally sure I'd trust a leak mended with a an ordinary solder if close to the bottom.

It doesn't work like that. I've had the misfortune to try and solder up a horizontal pipe that still had a little water in it. You can't get it hot enough to melt the solder because the water boiling limits the temperature to 100C.

Richard