Visting Norfolk without a boat

Featured Posts

Hi,

Excellent, interesting county, I stay at the Swan at Ingham Corner and spend time studying coastal erosion at Happisburgh. Mind the car parks though, the operatives never seem to be off duty.

Excellent churches, some with round towers.

Leo

We are Norfolk ex-pats, and can second nearly all suggestions so far. Especially the north coast.

Norwich is definately worth a visit for a day - a really nice feel to the city as it is not too big to be able to get round most of it's attractions on foot: the Cathedral and Tombland, Elm Hill, the medieval Castle (housing the museum), the river Wensum with a riverside walk, lots of cobbled streets and churches, art centres, good restaurants and cafes, and theatres. There used to be a fun Mexican resaurant in the middle of Chapelfield Gardens but not sure if it's still there now.

Ashamed to say that we have not been back 'home' for a few years now, so give our regards to her!

A launch for the day shouldn't be a problem at Potter Heigham. As you like waterways you could take a cruise thru what is arguably the the most picturesque part of the Norfolk Broads. From 'Potter' head up onto Heigham Sound, Hickling Broad and Horsey Mere. Fabulous.

See Google maps.

A launch for the day shouldn't be a problem at Potter Heigham. As you like waterways you could take a cruise thru what is arguably the the most picturesque part of the Norfolk Broads. From 'Potter' head up onto Heigham Sound, Hickling Broad and Horsey Mere. Fabulous.

See Google maps.

Couldnt agree more. Our favourite mooring is up there at Deep Go Dyke. No other word for it but bliss. :lol:

Couldnt agree more. Our favourite mooring is up there at Deep Go Dyke. No other word for it but bliss. :lol:

Up to Dilham Staithe is nice too - between under the bridge at Wayford and beyond before you get to Dilham it is like exploring a previously uncharted tributary of the Amazon, well of course I exaggerate but it is very remote.

Edited by MJG

Up to Dilham Staithe is nice too - between under the bridge at Wayford and beyond before you get to Dilham it is like exploring a previously uncharted tributary of the Amazon, well of course I exaggerate but it is very remote.

I know what you mean though :lol:

I thought that was Lincolnshire :lol:

There are several villages in Norfolk where most people are related to each other.

I was born in a small village called Fleggburgh, most of the inhabitants had been to Gt Yarmouth,7 miles away but lots had never been to Norwich.

Around about 1957 I lived at The Old Rectory in Rollesby, went to the primary school, my dad played cricket (badly) for the village team. We loved it when my grandad came to visit in the autumn, he would help us 'scrump' the peas off the tractor and trailers as they slowed down at the junction by the church.

Norfolk....... :lol:

Around about 1957 I lived at The Old Rectory in Rollesby, went to the primary school, my dad played cricket (badly) for the village team. We loved it when my grandad came to visit in the autumn, he would help us 'scrump' the peas off the tractor and trailers as they slowed down at the junction by the church.

Norfolk....... :lol:

That's interesting, I was born on Matham road, Rollesby in 1948 and my Grandparents lived there until a) Granddad died and :lol: Grandma went into the Lawn at Gt Yarmouth about 1974 so I spent quite a bit of time in Rollesby. I am just racking my brains to remember where the Old Rectory was, I remember the new one.

Back along the road towards Potter, Xroads (where the post office used to be) turn right and you go to Martham, turn left the road goes thru a big S bend then straight for 150 yds to the church, the rectory is on the right, set back a bit, where the bungalows are on the right was our drive way and play area.... :lol:

Edited by dacaB