Thetford Cassett C200

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Hello All

We are looking into changing our Porta Potti 360 to a more aestheically pleasing Thetford C200. Space is very tight in our bathroom and the only access point to remove the cassette would be on the corridor wall. the other wall has the cooker behind it. If it does not fit in the space and can only fit backing onto the cooker wall is there another way to remove the cassette without it coming from the back of toilet.

Many thanks

Ian of Ian and Sarah

Hello All

We are looking into changing our Porta Potti 360 to a more aestheically pleasing Thetford C200. Space is very tight in our bathroom and the only access point to remove the cassette would be on the corridor wall. the other wall has the cooker behind it. If it does not fit in the space and can only fit backing onto the cooker wall is there another way to remove the cassette without it coming from the back of toilet.

Many thanks

Ian of Ian and Sarah

Ian of Ian,

I have a similar dilemma. I've wondered about boxing it in somehow so that the cassette will pull out into the bathroom. Not though too deeply about it though.

Matt

Hello All

Many thanks

Ian of Ian and Sarah

No,

Not really.

They are designed to actually be attached to the floor and wall, and the cassette can only come out through the back, (which can be the "side", if you have the pan twisted throgh 90 degrees, if you see what I mean......).

There is a forum member who says they have one not fixed down, and simply draw it forward to remove the cassete, but I would have thought the whole thing is going to flex around rather more if you do that, plus, if it's a plumbed in type, you would have to have the "flush" on a long enough hose.

I'm not aware of a permanently installed cassette type where the casette can be withdrawn forwards.

An alternative is the (very expensive) Vacuflush, where the cassette is remote to the loo. There are very differing user opinions of those, so use the forum search to make up your own mind, if you want to consider that option.

Ian of Ian,

I have a similar dilemma. I've wondered about boxing it in somehow so that the cassette will pull out into the bathroom. Not though too deeply about it though.

Matt

Hi Matt

Our Bathroom is very very small. We have a sink shower tray with curtain and a Porta Potti. There is only space in one part of the bathroom and for one wall I think it miight just fit. But I was curious.

Ian

We didn't think our very small bathroow ould allow us to fit one.

But we had just enough space on the "wall" that separates it from the corridor, to go for the "bowl sideways" method.

Refitted_Loo_1.jpg

Thanks Alan and for the picture as well. We're tight for space with the shower tray and all the corridor wall. I think it might just fic but was curious. It would make sense why a lot of folk have a Porta Potti still in some lay outs.

I think Alan's right: there's no satisfactory way to arrange access to the cassette from the front. One thing to consider is that the C200 is designed to be waterproof (the flush-button and cassette-full light are waterproof, and body seals to the wall). So you could convert your bathroom into a wet-room and then you wouldn't need completely separate spaces for the shower and toilet.

MP.

Thanks Alan and for the picture as well. We're tight for space with the shower tray and all the corridor wall. I think it might just fic but was curious. It would make sense why a lot of folk have a Porta Potti still in some lay outs.

I have been told by different people that wet rooms are difficult to retro fit. Both by you good people on this forum. And by my local Narrowboat workshop.

To me that would be an ideal solution but as were working on a budget would be a really drastic way to go.

I have been told by different people that wet rooms are difficult to retro fit. Both by you good people on this forum. And by my local Narrowboat workshop.

To me that would be an ideal solution but as were working on a budget would be a really drastic way to go.

How do you stop the loo roll getting soggy in a wet room?

Richard

"Slightly off topic, but our Thetford has a spare cassette with it, one of them makes the full light function and the other doesn't. Anyone know why that would be?"

Obviously there is some kind of float switch in the cassette that detects the level - but having looked long and hard, I cant see how it works either!

:lol:

Not too off topic but when removing the cassette is there any spillage ,even a miniscule amount or residue around either of the orofices , just wondering as a potential user.. :lol:

Not in our experience, providing of course you have been careful errrr filling it in the first place. Our cassettes are still relatively new, I suspect after many happy fillings the seals will need replacing to avoid your concerns.

Carry them flat and you will have no leaks. When they are new they can be carried suitcase style, but after a time the seals are not up to being carried sideways. As long as you are generous with the Blue then any small leak is not at all unpleasant.

A fold-up trolley is perfect for the job!

Edited by WJM

"Slightly off topic, but our Thetford has a spare cassette with it, one of them makes the full light function and the other doesn't. Anyone know why that would be?"

Obviously there is some kind of float switch in the cassette that detects the level - but having looked long and hard, I cant see how it works either!

There's a reed switch in the toilet body and a pivoted arm inside the cassette with a float on one end a magnet on t'other. When the float rises, the magnet is moved close to the reed switch which closes and switches on the light.

MP.

Not in our experience, providing of course you have been careful errrr filling it in the first place. Our cassettes are still relatively new, I suspect after many happy fillings the seals will need replacing to avoid your concerns.

Thanks.. :lol:

Carry them flat and you will have no leaks. When they are new they can be carried suitcase style, but after a time the seals are not up to being carried sideways. As long as you are generous with the Blue then any small leak is not at all unpleasant.

Thanks... :lol:

If you use Biomagic you won't have problems with blue splashing. No conection to the firm just a VERY satisfied user.

Sue

We didn't think our very small bathroow ould allow us to fit one.

But we had just enough space on the "wall" that separates it from the corridor, to go for the "bowl sideways" method.

Refitted_Loo_1.jpg

Ours is mounted sideways on like Alan's picture but not up against a wall. Instead the builder build a small 'bulk head' with a swing door that fits around the part of the loo where the casette is taken out. It work really well and meant we could fit the loo away from the wall which works in our layout. Also means everything is contained in the one room. I dont have a photo so hope that makes sense ?

Les

"the builder build a small 'bulk head' with a swing door that fits around the part of the loo where the casette is taken out"

Seems bizarre to me. The space required to slide the cassette out is significant, the best part of a meter, yet it is rarely used. So the corridor is the absolute best place for it. The space can then be used productively when you are not emptying the toilet!

There's a reed switch in the toilet body and a pivoted arm inside the cassette with a float on one end a magnet on t'other. When the float rises, the magnet is moved close to the reed switch which closes and switches on the light.

MP.

Thanks for that, may be time to put the marigolds on and see what I can find.

"the builder build a small 'bulk head' with a swing door that fits around the part of the loo where the casette is taken out"

Seems bizarre to me. The space required to slide the cassette out is significant, the best part of a meter, yet it is rarely used. So the corridor is the absolute best place for it. The space can then be used productively when you are not emptying the toilet!

If our layout allowed it to be fitted against a full bulk head or wall then thats where it would have gone, its obviously designed to do that but I was trying to point out that the lack of a wall to mount it against isn't a show stopper. You'd need to see a photo WJM (which I dont have right now), it works well. The space where the casette pulls out is actually space used to move around in that room so is used very productively.

Edited by Lesd