What batteries?

hillbilly

Featured Posts

Oh dear I hope your not expecting a single unified answer here as there is as many opinions on this as there are battery types.

My personal point of view is that generally you ar better off viewing batteries as a consumable item and buy open cell flooded batteries of around 110 or 135 amp/hour capacity. If you look after them expect to replace every 3 years.

Almost exactly what I would have also written too !

It IS worth learning how to look after them - doesn't take too long - you need to ensure you get and keep them fully charged after an evening's ( overnight's) use, and it will take longer than 3 to 4 hours - if its "occasional use", and you are not on permanent shore hookup, solar panels of approx 70 to 100 watts will probably do the job, or go a long way to achieving the object...

Nick

Hi

I am just about to buy 4 off THESE

I have had a similar set for over 5 years and have never been short of power.

Alex

Were you at Carnforth on the Lancs canal in July this year? A man showed us over his boat (Steelaway - bought from Bridge Marina). We were thinking about getting a boat and he spent time telling about it and showing us.

Were you at Carnforth on the Lancs canal in July this year? A man showed us over his boat (Steelaway - bought from Bridge Marina). We were thinking about getting a boat and he spent time telling about it and showing us.

Hi

No sorry not me. All pionts south this year.

See my album

Alex

We are still using the first set of batteries we bought from 'vince1969' well over a year ago for £25 each.

I wouldn't be tempted to part with serious money for batteries when you can get good usable second hand ones for £25.

Re Steelaways's choice....

Those batteries are very similar to the Trojan batteries and are held in very high regard....

We have 4 of the Trojan T-125 which is an almost identical battery at 6V 240 Ah, and the rated no. of cycles is something like 1200, compared with around 200 for the conventional FLA batteries...

I think you will be very pleased with them....

As always though, ensure you replace used charge as soon as possible after the event, and "equalise charge" them as often as you can - once every week or so if in everyday use if you can .... and keep an eye on the electrolyte levels

Nick

Hi

I am just about to buy 4 off THESE

I have had a similar set for over 5 years and have never been short of power.

Alex

Excellent batteries, we have two of the slightly bigger 242 Ah (green Case) batteries on our boat and they are giving sterling service. They will happily discharge heavily and will take a big charge next day without any ill effects. They have been fitted four years now, and this year was the first time I needed to add a little deionized water to top them up.