Sweet Chestnut Enterprise

Christine

Featured Posts

This year the Sweet Chestnuts have been excellent and around here in the woods on the Commons, they are lying on the ground in quantity. I started picking a few up and wondered if there was a market for them. I rang around a few Farm Shops and had quite a few takers. I pick them up on my dog walking trips and now demand means that I am out every day for several hours collecting about 5-10 kg. at a time.

It's back breaking work but good for keeping fit. I take them home, sort and give each one a polish with a micropore cloth. They are stored in banana boxes and delivered as 5kg lots in smaller boxes I 'acquire' from Tescos. I sell 5kg for £10 (about an hours work) I will put the price up as we get closer to Christmas :lol:

If you have Sweet Chestnut woods near you, it's a nice little earner, especaily if you can do it while walking the dog. I don't know about getting permissions - I've been doing it a bit on the QT. Just keep off my patch please. :lol:

So far we are close to making £100.

This year the Sweet Chestnuts have been excellent and around here in the woods on the Commons, they are lying on the ground in quantity. I started picking a few up and wondered if there was a market for them. I rang around a few Farm Shops and had quite a few takers. I pick them up on my dog walking trips and now demand means that I am out every day for several hours collecting about 5-10 kg. at a time.

It's back breaking work but good for keeping fit. I take them home, sort and give each one a polish with a micropore cloth. They are stored in banana boxes and delivered as 5kg lots in smaller boxes I 'acquire' from Tescos. I sell 5kg for £10 (about an hours work) I will put the price up as we get closer to Christmas :lol:

If you have Sweet Chestnut woods near you, it's a nice little earner, especaily if you can do it while walking the dog. I don't know about getting permissions - I've been doing it a bit on the QT. Just keep off my patch please. :lol:

So far we are close to making £100.

Very enterprising and also kind of you to share youtr little earner with us.

My lady went to Kew Gardens yesterday and picked some sweet chestnuts in the tree walk.

Don't tell her, she'll be charging me :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update - we made £215 from our Sweet Chestnut selling enterprise. The chestnut season is over now following the heavy rain, lots of bending involved but it was virtually money for 'free'.

We are now making beehive style composing bins for posh folks who don't want a plastic bin in their gardens - we are making these from gravel board offcuts from a fencing company. £85 a bin - I am posting flyers into swankey houses.

Just a quick update - we made £215 from our Sweet Chestnut selling enterprise. The chestnut season is over now following the heavy rain, lots of bending involved but it was virtually money for 'free'.

We are now making beehive style composing bins for posh folks who don't want a plastic bin in their gardens - we are making these from gravel board offcuts from a fencing company. £85 a bin - I am posting flyers into swankey houses.

Young Wolfgang say's he would like one please, and Delius too :lol:

Edited by Graham!

You obviously havent heard the word recession go0d for you :lol:

Thank you. I am enjoying trying to find little money making schemes. Needs must as I'm not working and trying to stave off the day when I will have to find a paid job. My outgoings are pretty low and have a little bit of savings but they won't last long.