3-Mobile broadband problems

starman

Featured Posts

I had the problems with my dongle throwing a wobbler and dropping the 3 network and connecting to Orange, despite there being enough signal on 3, but that said this house is like a Faraday cage, so often the signal DOES drop out on any mobile device!!! :lol:

But still, it's pretty poor do's if 3 keep selling cheap mobile broadband but haven't the capacity to run it, but, that's what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket... :lol:

That said, I am thankfully back on Cable broadband, so no problems with connections... :lol:

If you look along the edge on the older Huawei dongles (the soap bar shaped ones, not the newest ones that look like USB flash drives, I don't know about those ones), you can see the sim in a slot. Push it with your finger nail and it pops out.

ah, mines the flash drive type.

Interestingly a reboot has sorted the connection dropping (with all other variables unchanged) so i suspect it's the dongle software fighting something else for a component. Or an update requiring, but not instructing, a reboot.

I dont use any antennas either - just hangs in the porthole with 3 bog standard USB leads.

ah, mines the flash drive type.

Interestingly a reboot has sorted the connection dropping (with all other variables unchanged) so i suspect it's the dongle software fighting something else for a component. Or an update requiring, but not instructing, a reboot.

I dont use any antennas either - just hangs in the porthole with 3 bog standard USB leads.

What leads are these ( i.e.how are they connected ? ) - Is it a siamese one, plugging into two extension leads, into two USB ports on the PC, or just 3 leads in series plugging in to each other, one after the other ?

Thanks,

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

What leads are these ( i.e.how are they connected ? ) - Is it a siamese one, plugging into two extension leads, into two USB ports on the PC, or just 3 leads in series plugging in to each other, one after the other ?

Thanks,

Nick

It's just 3 leads in series plugging into each other. One came with the dongle & the other 2 came with USB memory sticks i think. i.e. they're nothing special.

We've been using 3-Mobile broadband with a ZTE dongle and Boaters Phone Co external aerial for well over a year. Until the last couple of months it's been largely okay - unavailable service in some rural areas but otherwise decent enough.

However recently there has been a very marked deterioration - slowness, stalling, hard to get on at all, dropping off, some sites far slower than others etc etc. This is not just in one location but all over the place - Liverpool, Manchester, Stoke and (currently) half way down the Coventry Canal.It's as if something major has changed in the structure of the 3-network service.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? I'm thoroughly fed up with it. I'm tempted to change provider but are they all as bad?

The best way I have found to receive all broadband is to Buy an HTC phone. I have a HTC touch HD on an orange contract. This phone will received the following data streams G - 3G - H - E (Edge) it can also connect to wifi. All you do is plug the phone into a laptop (PC) not apple mac and you see a screen that allows you to connect to the PC with the following options 1) as active sync 2) Act as a disk drive 3)Internet Connection sharing. You choose 3) and off you go. With E you will get very fast data streams of up to 10mbps. I have had no use for an ariel with this system, just make sure you are near your boat window.....

To see the data spec for this phone go to http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...d=1225377508332

If you click on this link it will tell you all about the fast data speeds. http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/S...gename=Business

The phone also has GPRS as standard so you can run google maps and sat nav location to plot your exact location anywhere where you have a data connection.

I run a web hosting business ( http://www.taghosting.co.uk ) so it is critical I can access and connect to the internet for my customers. If I have my PC it makes life simple but this phone can even browse the Internet with a proper browser in landscape. However it can be limited with certain menu options.

This phone is years ahead of the Iphone and others - There is also a model with a keyboard http://www.htc.com/uk/product/touchpro2/overview.html

and there is even a road car model called HTC HD2 go to http://www.htc.com/uk/

And if you like to listen to music as you cruise the touch HD is a 8gig ipod player too. see this link http://www.htc.com/uk/product/touchhd/overview.html

Kind regards to all

Trevor

Edited by Taghosting

The HTC phone is nice but the issue here is about network connectivity.

Yours is on Orange but Orange coverage is not universal across the canal network so as nice as the phone is it isn't gong to work everywhere across the network, sorry.

The HTC phone is nice but the issue here is about network connectivity.

Yours is on Orange but Orange coverage is not universal across the canal network so as nice as the phone is it isn't gong to work everywhere across the network, sorry.

not true .. I have used on many occasions on the canel even in the depths of the huddersfield narrow canel with no problem.

IDIC ariels are cell linked to obtain the coverage so if you can get one you will get the other.

If you read up on this you will find how it works :-)

If you read up on this you will find how it works :-)

If Google could come up with something relevant when I search for IDIC then perhaps I would. :lol:

'Till then all I know is our Orange mobile coverage on the L&L was patchy to say the least.