Stoves

Guest TowpathTownie

Featured Posts

Guest TowpathTownie

Does anyone else have a slate hearth and slate surrounding walls for their stove?

Seriously thinking of having this installed from a safety point of view. Not cheap but certainly, in my opinion, less than I calculate the worth of our lives :lol:

Recommendations for suppliers or do I go bespoke?

Not slate, but 20mm granite slabs with air-gap behind. Try a monumental mason that does kitchen worktops. Three slabs of polished black granite, all cut to shape with angled and polished edges and various holes to screw to sides with slots in the base to allow angled screws for feet to go into wood underneath, £100 cash.

Does anyone else have a slate hearth and slate surrounding walls for their stove?

Seriously thinking of having this installed from a safety point of view. Not cheap but certainly, in my opinion, less than I calculate the worth of our lives :lol:

Recommendations for suppliers or do I go bespoke?

Matter close to my heart this one. As late as last night I was in a stonemasons yard asking prices. A 2'x2' piece of 30mm granite was £151.30 inc vat and I know the people concerned, realising immediately that the total costs would be prohibitive I switched to slate and the price was the forkin same!!!!!! In situ the matt finish granite would not have added anything and I was advised that slate marks really easily as its a "soft" material. I am sticking with the tiles originally purchased and improving the surround as an upgrade at a fraction of the price.

Then remember to shift all the ballast around to get rid of the list.

Our Filis is spot on with this one, chap I know upgraded his kitchen to granite tops then couldn't get rid of the list no matter what he did!

.......the total costs would be prohibitive I switched to slate and the price was the forkin same!!!!!!

Try an architectural salvage yard. If you can find a suitable piece it will cut to size with an angle grinder.

As an alternative, we had a steel hearth fabricated to measure - £100 cash.

It is fastened down over strips of 10mm fireboard to give an airgap.

Not slate, but 20mm granite slabs with air-gap behind. Try a monumental mason that does kitchen worktops. Three slabs of polished black granite, all cut to shape with angled and polished edges and various holes to screw to sides with slots in the base to allow angled screws for feet to go into wood underneath, £100 cash.

Get them to engrave it while they are on so that you have a gravestone when the boat ignites and you come to a stcky end... is that too morbid for most senses of humour .... no ...i,ll post it

Edited by soldthehouse

Guest TowpathTownie

I'm sure any list will be adequately compensated by the belongings in the bedroom at the other end of the boat judging from the amount of boxes destined for that particular room lol

I quite like slate as it's stylish and simple. You can get sealants for it though so I've read.

Thanks for all the replies :lol:

I've literally just pulled down the rather more conventional surround to our stove, which was in-situ when we bought Chalice.

It's simple ceramic tiles on top of 1/4" (6mm) style "Masterboard" type material, applied directly to the 9mm ply linings behind.

There is absolutely no evidence of any overheating, despite us having over-fired the stove at least once.

I conclude that on out boat, from a safety perspective, I need do no more than was there already when I replace it, and that talk of thicker materials or air gaps is irrelevant in our case.

I do however need to make it extend further upwards, to be significantly higher than the stove top, as there is definitely some overheating of the wood above where the tiles run out.

Of course if your stove is hotter than ours, or the separation from it's surrounds tighter or less well ventilated, you may need to do more, so I'm not saying the simplest solution is always sufficient, but I suspect it is in the vast majority of cases.

Guest TowpathTownie
Get them to engrave it while they are on so that you have a gravestone when the boat ignites and you come to a stcky end... is that too morbid for most senses of humour .... no ...i,ll post it

LOL.... Brilliant! :lol:

You could also self-fill your own Calor bottles through one of those e-Bay devices in another thread, for a quick DIY cremation, long before the multifuel stove has you ?

I'm sure any list will be adequately compensated by the belongings in the bedroom at the other end of the boat judging from the amount of boxes destined for that particular room lol

I take it your stove will be positioned centrally then so as not to create a list to port or starboard?

Matter close to my heart this one. As late as last night I was in a stonemasons yard asking prices. A 2'x2' piece of 30mm granite was £151.30 inc vat and I know the people concerned, realising immediately that the total costs would be prohibitive I switched to slate and the price was the forkin same!!!!!! In situ the matt finish granite would not have added anything and I was advised that slate marks really easily as its a "soft" material. I am sticking with the tiles originally purchased and improving the surround as an upgrade at a fraction of the price.

Good thinking Mikey and the money you've saved can be spent on my Birthday present!

xxx

I've literally just pulled down the rather more conventional surround to our stove, which was in-situ when we bought Chalice.

It's simple ceramic tiles on top of 1/4" (6mm) style "Masterboard" type material, applied directly to the 9mm ply linings behind.

There is absolutely no evidence of any overheating, despite us having over-fired the stove at least once.

I conclude that on out boat, from a safety perspective, I need do no more than was there already when I replace it, and that talk of thicker materials or air gaps is irrelevant in our case.

I do however need to make it extend further upwards, to be significantly higher than the stove top, as there is definitely some overheating of the wood above where the tiles run out.

Of course if your stove is hotter than ours, or the separation from it's surrounds tighter or less well ventilated, you may need to do more, so I'm not saying the simplest solution is always sufficient, but I suspect it is in the vast majority of cases.

I'm currently re-tiling mine too. Based on what i've read on this forum I've always had concerns about potential problems as my tiles were stuck directly on to the end of the MDF kitchen unit by the previous owner.

This week I removed the old tiles so as to add an additional layer of fireboard between tiles, kitchen unit and side ply. I have the same observation, absolutely no sign of any overheating but I'm glad I have done the job as it's put my mind at rest

Guest TowpathTownie
You can get 50cmx50cm slate floor tiles in homebase for 15 quid for 5 I think. Or is it 15 quid each. Er..

I've got time to get some quotes... mind you, I'm ok measuring up for the sides but what about the hearth and the holes needed for the bolts! EEK!

Topps Tiles do some very large slate tiles, big enough, for example to make a base for a stove out of a single tile, I would say, although I'm considering using two to give a protected area in front, so carpets can not get damaged by anything hot falling.

I think they were natural slate - I need to check that, and if so I'm not sure how durable they might prove. They were not exhorbitantly expensive, from memory.

I'm rebuilding a stove area right now, so I'll report back if I find any suitable materials.

Good thinking Mikey and the money you've saved can be spent on my Birthday present!

xxx

after todays performance I've cancelled yer burfday you'll have to be 26 for another year!

xxx

after todays performance I've cancelled yer burfday you'll have to be 26 for another year!

Oi watch it Mr or I'll make you work until you're 70!! :lol:

xxx

Guest TowpathTownie
Fake slate ceramic tiles look pretty much like the real thing these days, and they're easier to cut cleanly.

I was thinking about real slate due to it's heat/fire protection qualities rather that it's looks :lol:

Fake slate ceramic tiles look pretty much like the real thing these days, and they're easier to cut cleanly.

I wish you hadn't said that!

(Says man with two fairly massive 60 cm x 60 cm real slate tiles now in the boot of car......)

Will report back on difficulties with cutting - particularly as I only have a fairly basic, (and naffly named), "Tommy Walsh" cutter. :lol:

I was thinking about real slate due to it's heat/fire protection qualities rather that it's looks :lol:

Would real be significantly better in this respect that a ceramic based copy ? I kind of doubt it.