Name this boat

grunders

Featured Posts

I think this is an old boat that has been converted but I'm not absolutely convinced so this could be in the wrong forum.

It's an interesting boat - I like the maximised living space! I've seen it twice now, both times at the Western end of the Trent and Mersey but can't see a name. Any ideas?

629nv.jpg

628t.jpg

627r.jpg

Ben

I think this is an old boat that has been converted but I'm not absolutely convinced so this could be in the wrong forum.

It's an interesting boat - I like the maximised living space! I've seen it twice now, both times at the Western end of the Trent and Mersey but can't see a name. Any ideas?

Ben

I think this may be the fore end of the Small Woolwich butty TITANIA.

If it is then the welded counter stern is new to me as the original 1972 motor conversion was constructed out of the old hull plates leaving a slightly pointed counter stern.

edit - The brass eagle on the pigeon box and the brass horn look like George Wain's off ENGLAND !

Edited by pete harrison

So who is Ray Wain of Coventry, a name I have had associated with TITANIA since about 1996 ?

I'm not sure of their relationship but I met Ray on Dennis' boat, at Charity about 8 years ago.

I get very confused, with the Wain dynasty, not least because Dennis, himself had, at least, 17 kids (it varied, depending on who told the tale).

I never knew Dennis to have owned Titania.

He was living on a boat, at Charity, sold to him by Swmbo's sister, when I was up that way.

I'm not sure of their relationship but I met Ray on Dennis' boat, at Charity about 8 years ago.

I get very confused, with the Wain dynasty, not least because Dennis, himself had, at least, 17 kids (it varied, depending on who told the tale).

I never knew Dennis to have owned Titania.

He was living on a boat, at Charity, sold to him by Swmbo's sister, when I was up that way.

[/quo

te]

Yes this is the motorised and converted small Woolwich butty Titania owned ny Ray Wain, it's original motor was Themis which Bob England has recently+sold.

+On+passing+Titania+the+other+day+I+noticed+Themis'+water+can+on+the+roof,+Bob+&+Ray+are+good+mates.+I'll+miss+the+banter+and+natter+with+Bob+now+that+he+has+moved+off+the+cut.+

Titania it is then.

It's interesting that there is that link with Themis as both boats have similar conversions. I'd also noticed Themis' can on the roof; this confused me for a while as I thought it was trying to be a replica of Themis or something.

Thanks for all the help.

Yes this is the motorised and converted small Woolwich butty Titania owned ny Ray Wain, it's original motor was Themis which Bob England has recently sold.

I recall talking with Bob England back in October 1992, shortly after he had purchased THEMIS. At that time TITANIA was partially sunk at Chester (photographed by me 18/10/1992) and Bob was looking into buying it and restoring it to a butty. If I remember correctly Bob had approaced Ian Kemp about riveting a new butty stern onto TITANIA !!!! Obviously did not happen and TITANIA was sold to the Wain family shortly afterwards.

Edited by pete harrison

I recall talking with Bob England back in October 1992, shortly after he had purchased THEMIS. At that time TITANIA was partially sunk at Chester (photographed by me 18/10/1992) and Bob was looking into buying it and restoring it to a butty. If I remember correctly Bob had approaced Ian Kemp about riveting a new butty stern onto TITANIA !!!! Obviously did not happen and TITANIA was sold to the Wain family shortly afterwards.

I believe Themis has now been sold to Steve Harmer who also owns the Josher steamer Admiral waiting to be restored at Stockton.

Paul H

Yes, thats right, he spoke to me about it as well. I spent some time trying to track down a little Woolwich butty stern, ( there were a couple of butties motorised about that time) but drew a blank. I think his enthusiasm got the better of him Themis and Titania were an original pairing. Bob's ownership of both boats explains the Themis can on the roof. I had also heard that Steve Harmer has bought Themis, It came past us last week