Continous cruising in London area

spacecactus

Featured Posts

Which they aren't - Yet.

There has been localised action in some areas over the past couple of months. and there is at least a fortnight before any national action starts.

If the strike does start, I will be swapping my desk for an integrated mail processor for the duration, as we attempt to keep the mail flowing.

We've had post chaos in London on and off for the last 3 months. I dread to think how much post hasn't arrived.

We've had post chaos in London on and off for the last 3 months. I dread to think how much post hasn't arrived.

I don't even live in a postal strike area (although I work in one) but we've hardly had any in the last few months - almost every single one of my birthday cards was late :lol:

I used to be resentful of strikers until I worked in a unionised job and got sick of losing out on pay every time I got called out on strike and saw my students suffer (although they supported us). Now I just feel undirected rage towards the sheer annoyingness of it! Grrrrrr :lol:

Depends who you believe as to how large the backlog is.

However, as somebody who works in data analysis for Royal Mail, I am satisfied that the figures I produce are accurate!

erm... I worked for royal mail in the early 2000's?

part of the requirement of the job was to "appear smart and presentable, wearing the correct uniform"? However.. I never understood why so many of my colleagues wore trainers.. I still wear my RM boots.. they are great!

I have a different postman each day, regardless of that, they are all scruffy berks.

I am genuinely sorry to say this.

That would make you a strikebreaker, a scab, a blackleg. The boss has all the cards, the only real sanction the worker has is to strike. Would you take that away from them? The rights and wrongs of the situation notwithstanding when you break a strike you ally yourself with the boss and become the workers enemy, leave a man the right to stand up for himself.

I've NO idea how this thread went from CC-ing in London to Strike Breaking but thought I'd tell this tale ...

I was once ordered by a user to a break a strike as they wanted their Terminal and Printer working by the day after the strike. The user in question? The Local Union Rep.

I refused.

Got a formal warning over it as I'd ignored an explicit user request that could have been completed in the day. The Union failed to back me up on getting the formal warning withdrawn from my record.

And since that day on the few times the union did strike I took the day as a bit of peace and quiet to get some work done without the phone ringing all the time.

Quick edit to add - this was about 15 years ago. One would hope that sort of treatment wouldn't happen today.

Edited by Chris J W

No it doesn't.

David that is a surprise you know better.

just to run you trough the process so that you can be informed.

1. BW have to send the Licence to my registered address (they will not send to a post office)

2. Licence is then posted to my home address.

3. It arrives at an empty house.

4. It is then picked up 3 times a week by my cleaner and put in a big pile of mail mainly junk mail.

5. about every 6 - 8 weeks either my son or my daughter go to the house bundel all the post into a parcel and post it to the nearest Post Office to where I am at that time.

Unless it is like my Mail that was sent to Morecambe Post Office last August with 7 weeks post that never arrived.

So as I said the process takes about 2 months.

1. BW have to send the Licence to my registered address (they will not send to a post office)

That's funny, they sent my licences to Braunston PO for years and before that, I had my own in-tray, in the Stophouse.

I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised at any inconsistency, in BW Towers, though.

That's funny, they sent my licences to Braunston PO for years and before that, I had my own in-tray, in the Stophouse.

I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised at any inconsistency, in BW Towers, though.

Did you have a post box.

I have my mail sent to random post office using Poste Restante service and BW would only send to the address on my licence. also as you might know it can take BW up to 3 weeks to send licence out and last November I was on Llangollen and not sure where I was going to be in 3 weeks.

What do you think of this then Dave?

A postie's view.

Well, I can't claim to know the truth of the argument, but must say "Roy Mayall", (assume they are no relation of Dave!), argues his (or her) case beautifully.

Interesting read, and thanks for "posting".

Well, I can't claim to know the truth of the argument, but must say "Roy Mayall", (assume they are no relation of Dave!), argues his (or her) case beautifully.

Certainly not a relation, so far as I know, and riddled with inaccuracies.

Well argued, but utter tosh!

Did you have a post box.

I have my mail sent to random post office using Poste Restante service and BW would only send to the address on my licence. also as you might know it can take BW up to 3 weeks to send licence out and last November I was on Llangollen and not sure where I was going to be in 3 weeks.

They said that when we ordered our new discs. However after ordering them at lunchtime on the wednesday they where on the doormat by the friday of the same week. :lol:

David that is a surprise you know better.

just to run you trough the process so that you can be informed.

2. Licence is then posted to my home address.

3. It arrives at an empty house.

4. It is then picked up 3 times a week by my cleaner and put in a big pile of mail mainly junk mail.

5. about every 6 - 8 weeks either my son or my daughter go to the house bundel all the post into a parcel and post it to the nearest Post Office to where I am at that time.

Yes, the process takes that amount of time, but it takes that amount of time, because YOU have arranged it that way.

Why is it that those who are out cruising imagine that it is BW's problem to work around their lifestyle choice?

I have a friend, who is a boater, he works on cruise ships, and is out of the country for 4 months at a time. His licence was in the window at the appropriate time.

You have obligations in life, and it is for you to ensure that you meet them.

Certainly not a relation, so far as I know, and riddled with inaccuracies.

Well argued, but utter tosh!

I think one of the problems we'll always have is that desk jockeys actually have no idea about what the people on the shop floor are doing.

Not only has this post given me at least 20 minutes laughter - thank you - but has also helped me in my thinking around freedom v responsibility. I am at Barton Marina at present, where almost every day they are making up new rules and erecting new signs telling us about those rules (mostly but not exclusively relating to dogs). I have always been a law abiding lady, but recently (or perhaps since being a live aboard) I have started to question whether we should always obey just because someone has decided a new rule is a good idea. freedom is a high value for me, but making other people's lives more difficult whilst I exercise that freedom doesn't seem fair.

Not only has this post given me at least 20 minutes laughter - thank you - but has also helped me in my thinking around freedom v responsibility. I am at Barton Marina at present, where almost every day they are making up new rules and erecting new signs telling us about those rules (mostly but not exclusively relating to dogs). I have always been a law abiding lady, but recently (or perhaps since being a live aboard) I have started to question whether we should always obey just because someone has decided a new rule is a good idea. freedom is a high value for me, but making other people's lives more difficult whilst I exercise that freedom doesn't seem fair.

It is a fact of life that the more rules you have the more people you need to enforce them. In an effort to justify their existance and secure their jobs they in turn make more rules. There is hardly an area of life that isn't controlled by legislation and this will continue until the process can be broken. Chances of that, NIL!

Roy Mayall sounds a little too like Royal Mail to be taken too seriously.

Roy Mayall sounds a little too like Royal Mail to be taken too seriously.

It's real alright, first published in, I think, The Book Review' or some similarly titled publication, then all over the net and re-printed in Mondays Independant. I think you will find that the authors name is the psudonym of a long term working employee of the Dave Mayall, sorry, Royal Mail. I would take it's content very seriously.

It's real alright, first published in, I think, The Book Review' or some similarly titled publication, then all over the net and re-printed in Mondays Independant. I think you will find that the authors name is the psudonym of a long term working employee of the Dave Mayall, sorry, Royal Mail. I would take it's content very seriously.

T'internet has given me a certain cynicism

i sometimes wonder if anyone is real,

and we're just talking to Bots %*&£"~#?:@ :lol:

They are easy to ignore!! I like our new friend, unencumbered as he is by a unhealthy respect for the law. I think sometimes we are all in danger of tying ourselves up in red tape and forget that life is for living. I am considering forming a Society to this end, 'Anarchist Boaters for The Abolition of Bye-Laws' or A.B.T.A.B... I feel a ground-swell of grass roots support for such an brave initiative has been gathering recently!

here here!