nb CLENT

soldthehouse

Featured Posts

Rubbish.

You can plainly see a gap in one of the photos between the bottom of the counter and the water.

Carl is right, I have seen Clent not a year ago and despite needing a paint job (read someone living on it) it's in very good nick indeed including the cloths.

A paint job would make for a very fine wooden boat.

Well it is 5 inches lower at the back than in the picture that Steve has posted. It is clearly not loaded as the front is high up.

So it makes sense that it has a good amount of water in it.

I never said it wouldn't make a good boat merely that it looked a bit sorry for itself. Indeed I know (and have a photographic record of alot of) the work that was done when it was raised off the bottom and Carl says it has had alot of (the right) work done to it since.

Edited by Satellite

Ok, sit down, have a cup of tea and get to know her. Then mow the lawn.

Cup of tea?? Mow the lawn??

I believe the shock of a teenage girl turning up and saying "Hello Dad, I'm your daughter and, by the way, you're going to be a Grandad" would require rather stronger therapy.

The main thing that attracted me was the original type patina and I would hate to see a full paint job as then it just becomes just another boat, the skill would be in preserving the timber with the minimum of maintenance. Out of all the boats there this was the only one to raise my pulse. :lol:

Then get out there and get yourself a wooden boat.

Cheap to buy, expensive to restore and you'll never have clean fingernails again but very satisfying.

Edited to add "and often incredibly frustrating".

Edited by carlt

Ahh yes, "shiny boat syndrome".

I'm reminded of a similar thread about the Thomas Clayton Tar Boat "Towy":

Boats on the Decline

and a subsequent thread:

Towy

Unfortunately Liam's removed his photos but it is evident that one docking has polished her up a lot.

There are many shiny wooden boats out there that I would pass over, if given the opportunity to own Clent.

She has been cared for by someone who loved her, and worked on by someone who I regard as one of the best wooden narrow boat restorers and I could solve a scabby paint job in a fortnight.

I posted this thread as i thought that clent was a fine example and looked straight and genuine, and agree with your many sentiments that there is too much focus on the wrong qualities nowadays and a little lateral thought now and again doesnt come amiss, thanks for contributing your input is valued

Spiders never fail to amaze me at their ability to bridge almost impossible places! It (they) must have planted one end on the staging, took a look around, decided on a second point of anchorage, then worked out the direction in which to proceed to reach it without the silk getting stuck or hung up anywhere in between. Absolutely amazing.

Is this off topic? Where am I? :lol:

Well spotted the webs were amazing :lol:

Then get out there and get yourself a wooden boat.

Cheap to buy, expensive to restore and you'll never have clean fingernails again but very satisfying.

Edited to add "and often incredibly frustrating".

They also sound and swim so much better.

Money, time and skill allowing I would have another one.

Wooden bottom and cabin are enough to keep me busy for now!

Has 'Ian' been sold yet?

That was another FMC wooden one: Clicky

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ian is a Nurser, built at Braunston.

Back on topic I was hoping for How old, Who owns her, are proper boats like this priceless or a liability of epic proportions and hence reasonably priced, and does she have an engine currently , blah blah etc etc, :lol:

Don't know who owns her now but originally built in 1947 by Fellows, Morton and Clayton, at their Uxbridge yard.

I may be wrong but I believe she was the last Uxbridge boat to be built (or was that Clee).

After Nationalisation she was sunk in the Flashes but recovered by Ian Riley and restored, iirc by Malcolm Braine.

She has a Bolinder in the engine room and, yes, she is priceless (or worthless, depending on your viewpoint).

The engine is probably worth 10 times the value of the boat, btw.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ian is a Nurser, built at Braunston.

Don't know who owns her now but originally built in 1947 by Fellows, Morton and Clayton, at their Uxbridge yard.

I may be wrong but I believe she was the last Uxbridge boat to be built (or was that Clee).

After Nationalisation she was sunk in the Flashes but recovered by Ian Riley and restored, iirc by Malcolm Braine.

She has a Bolinder in the engine room and, yes, she is priceless (or worthless, depending on your viewpoint).

The engine is probably worth 10 times the value of the boat, btw.

Priceless in the eyes of those in love.

My little FMC booklet lists Clent as being built in December 1947, Clee as July 1947. Though there is Cotswold listed but without a date beside it, just a -. Numbered 355 and the comment scrapped, and shows no registration number. Perhaps it never got off the dock complete.

Derek

My little FMC booklet lists Clent as being built in December 1947, Clee as July 1947. Though there is Cotswold listed but without a date beside it, just a -. Numbered 355 and the comment scrapped, and shows no registration number. Perhaps it never got off the dock complete.

Some sources claim that it was at an advanced stage, but not fully completed, and instructions were given that it was broken up.

I think that's probably correct.