Stove for Chertsey

Chertsey

Featured Posts

My vote would go to the Epping / Classic as well. I lived with mine, well the companys actually, in a back cabin every day for six years and I found it extremely easy to live with and cook on (although the heat only passes up one side of the oven so it is necesary to turn whats being cooked around half way through). It was well sized for a motorboat cabin and I would not hesitate to buy another one if I were to have a boat again. A Epping / Classic is a little too small for a butty back cabin though, not in the way that it generates heat but in the way that it looks.

I am sure that the Epping / Classic was also marketed as a 'Boatman' for a while although this name is now given to a completely different stove. How much does a new Epping / Classic cost nowadays ?

£764.63, apparently. About 70 quid more than the Premier. Anyone got any experience of Premier? If not I shall bite the bullet and go for the tried and tested Epping.

That one in the photo doesn't appear to be on legs. I think I've seen them with and without. What's the story with that?

£764.63, apparently. About 70 quid more than the Premier. Anyone got any experience of Premier? If not I shall bite the bullet and go for the tried and tested Epping.

That one in the photo doesn't appear to be on legs. I think I've seen them with and without. What's the story with that?

The Epping is made by Brenmarl Engineering - give Pete Dufficy a call and you might be able to do a deal - at least on the carriage. It usually comes with legs but most old boat owners dispense with these as it is a more convenient height and looks better without.

The Premier is a copy of the old Nipper stove and although more attractive in appearance is about 2-3" smaller than the Epping which means it has a smaller fire box and is more difficult to keep in all night. Although developed by the Boatmans Cabin Co (when Laurence Hogg owned it) I think it is only now available from Midland Chandlers.

So I would recommend the Epping despite having a Premier myself but my range shelf is a bit small as the bed has been made wider and the table cupboard shifted along. If only the bed could have been made longer though!

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

Legs: All depends how much room you have and whereabouts you want the top plate to be level with in relation to the back step etc., and aesthetics.

That one was without legs and fitted to a couple of bits of angle screwed to the shelf. If you can get away with it, cut down legs can give some room for sundry cooking or cleaning items to slide under the stove, but you don't want it sitting on a pair of legs that poke it up too high - so cutting the legs to the required is sometimes undertaken. Level with or an inch or two above step level seems about right. A visual appraisal is best. But you do need some air space beneath - and mounted on fireproof material.

I was trying to get another picture up, but Photobucket are messing me about with resize rejections just now now matter how small I make them. Good mind to drop them for something else.

Derek

The Epping is made by Brenmarl Engineering - give Pete Dufficy a call and you might be able to do a deal - at least on the carriage. It usually comes with legs but most old boat owners dispense with these as it is a more convenient height and looks better without.

Paul H

I would also recommend talking directly to Pete at Brenmarl Engineering, very helpful chap. If you are in the midlands you can probably arrange a convenient meeting to take delivery.

My families business, The Worcester Foundry called Hardy and Padmore, made hundreds of Guidwife stoves for boats and caravans. Both Mr Hardy and Padmore were broad Scots speaking and when they asked the pattern maker to prepare the patterns for a "Guidwife" stove the name was cast for posterity.I had the last new one in Vesta when I restored the cabin in 1961.It was sad when the works closed.

Brenmarl Engineering cast the ranges from the wooden patterns in batches and so they can come straight of the shelf with no waiting depending on demand. Pete Dufficy was very helpful in our NBT deliberations and there was some mutual thought given to copying the old NBT GuidWives for future butty stoves.

The Epping seems to have come out on tops for reliability and although we only have single skinned chimneys on our pair the double skin type save the cabin side paintwork & signwriting from tar and draw better too.

Incidentally the term 'Bodger' refers to greenwood turners who would walk into a wood in spring with a small box of tools and emerge in the autumn with several wagons loads of chairs and stools. I have my own pole lathe but not the puff to operate it any more :lol: I'm also good at improvising too! :lol:

Incidentally the term 'Bodger' refers to greenwood turners who would walk into a wood in spring with a small box of tools and emerge in the autumn with several wagons loads of chairs and stools. I have my own pole lathe but not the puff to operate it any more :lol: I'm also good at improvising too! :lol:

Um, I think you'll find they emerged with loads of chair legs and spindles. Seat making, arm bending and chair making are different skills peformed by different people.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Anyone got any experience of Premier?

I have a Premier and it works quite well. I like it because it's small, but even so, most of the time it generates too much heat for the back cabin. I also like the oven on the right and the door on the fire box. The small fire box means it needs fuel added quite often and can go out quite easily without fairly regular attention. I don't try to keep it in overnight. It would be too warm for me any way.