2 week boat exchange wanted

Hawksey

Featured Posts

A colleague of mine is looking for a 1, 2 or 3 week boat exchange.

He is looking for use of a nice narrowboat in exchange for use of his sailing yacht in Barcelona, Spain.

Narrowboat can be anywhere on the system and he is ok with paying any extra insurance necessary.

His yacht is a Jeanneau Sun Magic 44, fully equipped for off-shore sailing, sleeps 8 in 4 cabins and is moored 10 minutes walk to the centre of Barcelona.

You would need to be RYA qualified to offshore level to sail it (he is), but happy to let people just stay on her on her moorings and explore the city if not. All you would need to pay for is your flights (easy-jet to Barcelona can from about £15 each way) and food/drink.

Dates of the exchange would not have to coincide.

If anyone’s interested drop me a line.

He is looking for use of a nice narrowboat in exchange for use of his sailing yacht in Barcelona, Spain.

Narrowboat can be anywhere on the system and he is ok with paying any extra insurance necessary.

His yacht is a Jeanneau Sun Magic 44, fully equipped for off-shore sailing, sleeps 8 in 4 cabins and is moored 10 minutes walk to the centre of Barcelona.

You would need to be RYA qualified to offshore level to sail it (he is), but happy to let people just stay on her on her moorings and explore the city if not. All you would need to pay for is your flights (easy-jet to Barcelona can from about £15 each way) and food/drink.

If anyone’s interested drop me a line.

I might be interested in this next year, no boat just yet, starts November.

If anyone's interested drop me a line.

It isn't just a matter of extra insurance.

The boat would need a business licence, and an enhanced BSC examination.

No matter how many ways people try to dress such arrangements up, they are NOT legal.

I dont agree.

I think a straight swap with no commercial element does not require any additional license or insurance. Effectively you are lending your boat to a new found friend. The fact that you only just met them and you are in their boat has no bearing, they are your invited guests. Unless of course your license or insurance says you can never lend your boat to anybody. Mine doesn't!

Edited by WJM

I dont agree.

I think a straight swap with no commercial element does not require any additional license or insurance. Effectively you are lending your boat to a new found friend. The fact that you only just met them and you are in their boat has no bearing, they are your invited guests. Unless of course your license or insurance says you can never lend your boat to anybody. Mine doesn't!

I too would agree, I asked what a "single user" licence meant and was advised it covered use by family and occasional use by friends. I can't imagine BW would start wishing to define whether someone was your friend.

Or is someone going to snitch on me because friends of ours left me two bottles of Single Malt after using the boat?

I dont agree.

The world is full of people coming up with new-found fictions to try and make it OK.

You are lending for a consideration (a similar loan). It won't wash!

The world is full of people coming up with new-found fictions to try and make it OK.

You are lending for a consideration (a similar loan). It won't wash!

Sadly Dave, De Facto, it does wash...

While a yacht in Barcelona might be extreme the further answer from BW when I asked about if I borrowed their boat/house was "How would we know, and if the boat is on BW waters then you are their "occasional use by friends, if it's not on BW waters it's the same as borrowing their house and we are not interested".

I did just that, lent my boat to friends and borrowed their house for a holiday while they were on it

edited to add, having told BW I was going to do it!

Edited by magpie patrick

Did someone just move the goalposts.

Nope.

A boat exchange as envisaged is clearly a commercial arrangement for "consideration", and as such the boat requires all the trappings of a hire boat.

Equally clearly, the arrangement is sufficiently opaque that the authorities aren't going to spot what is going on, so they are very likely to get away with it unless something goes wrong.

"You are lending for a consideration (a similar loan). It won't wash!"

Maybe, but try and prove it! While the strict letter of the law might support your argument, real life experience will not. It happens all the time and nobody is bothered. I doubt if you would ever find anybody who ever upgraded their license/insurance for a simple swap.

Nope.

A boat exchange as envisaged is clearly a commercial arrangement for "consideration", and as such the boat requires all the trappings of a hire boat.

Equally clearly, the arrangement is sufficiently opaque that the authorities aren't going to spot what is going on, so they are very likely to get away with it unless something goes wrong.

:lol: Hi

Afraid so, Dave is right it is too dodgy to do this swop thingy, no one gives two hoots because of the paperwork involved UNTIL the You know what hits the fan. Just see how the story changes if ( Heaven forbid ) someone on the boat swop was killed............

You swap your boat, an 'insurance incident' occurs, you put in your claim, "Who was on board?", "My friends from Barcelona!" Simple! No Problem! All my licensing and insurance allows me to lend my boat to friends.

You are aware that insurance is a "contract of utmost good faith"?

Basically, if they dig, and discover that these friends from Barcelona are new-found friends, and that the sole locus of the friendship is a boat exchange, they would walk away.

They don't have to prove anything. They will just state that you failed to declare a relevant fact, and decline to pay out.

Where does it say how long a friend has to be a friend for before you can lend them your boat?

It doesn't have to.

Insurance companies are unique in this requirement of "utmost good faith", which is a very effective get out of jail free card for them.

Essentially it means that you can NEVER get away with any tricksy stuff with insurance companies. No loopholes. No clever arrangement of affairs.

If it looks to them like a friendship of convenience to mask a commercial deal, they will refuse to pay.

Yip - define a friend? How does anyone prove the existence of any contract? If I decide to swap my boat with my long time pre-existing friend from Barcelona does that invalidate my insurance. If I swap boats with my boat owning brother will that invalidate it?

You may be technically correct, but I think your position is unenforceable.

Edited by WJM

Yip - define a friend? How does anyone prove the existence of any contract? If I decide to swap my boat with my long time pre-existing from Barcelona does that invalidate my insurance. If I swap boats with my boat owning brother will that invalidate it?

The insurance company will decide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utmost_good_faith is relevant.

Yip - define a friend? How does anyone prove the existence of any contract? If I decide to swap my boat with my long time pre-existing from Barcelona does that invalidate my insurance. If I swap boats with my boat owning brother will that invalidate it?

Yes but in this instance he isn't a long term friend from Barcelona and it would be a commercial deal and the Insurance firm would find that out so I think I personally would stay away from it now, and especially with the what happened if either of us died scenario!......shudder!

"The insurance company will decide"

That is a very jaundiced view. I think in disputed cases a third party such as a judge will decide. And the onus will be on the insurer to PROVE that my best mate from Barcelona was under contract. A difficult task for any legal team in the absence of any paperwork and our strong sense of solidarity and friendship!

You are right but you are wrong, if you get my meaning! lol

Edited by WJM