Licence evasion - here's one that really takes the urine

homer2911

Featured Posts

No you're not because the higher the penalty gets, the tougher my resistance would become.

I also believe the majority of society have better things to do than check strangers' tax affairs.

The majority of people are proabably annoyed at those who expect a free ride from society or who go out of their way to annoy the authorities. However, I do concede that the majority would quietly remain unhappy but do nothing about it.

Edited by homer2911

The majority of people are proabably annoyed at those who expect a free reide from society or who go out of their way to annoy the authorities. However, I do concede that the majority would quietly remain unhappy but do nothing about it.

I don't go out of my way to annoy the authorities and have a very good relationship with BW and its employees.

I believe that everyone has a responsibility to pay all the taxes for which they are liable and the enforcing authority has a responsibility to ensure that those taxes are being paid.

I do not believe that your, or anybody's, tax affairs are any of my business and I don't think you, or anybody else, should be required to prove to me that their tax affairs are in order.

• I don't go out of my way to annoy the authorities and have a very good relationship with BW and its employees.

I believe that everyone has a responsibility to pay all the taxes for which they are liable and the enforcing authority has a responsibility to ensure that those taxes are being paid.

I do not believe that your, or anybody's, tax affairs are any of my business and I don't think you, or anybody else, should be required to prove to me that their tax affairs are in order.

img_1210725042442_1651.jpg

[*]

img_1210725042442_1651.jpg

If personal digs please you then I'm happy to be of service.

They don't win you the debate, though, and just make you look silly.

I think what I posted is close to what you believe, regarding licence evasion, the only place we differ is on a person's right to privacy.

Edited by carlt

I never displayed a licence.

My tax affair are a private matter between myself and the enforcing authority.

I don't display my income tax returns in the window, either.

Or, perhaps, purely to exercise their right to privacy.

Just noticed that on the back of my licence holder it states "YOU MUST DISPLAY YOUR LICENCE - IT IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT". I'm sure some people would argue that it does not say "Current" licence but most people fully understand what it means and do comply.

Just noticed that on the back of my licence holder it states "YOU MUST DISPLAY YOUR LICENCE - IT IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT". I'm sure some people would argue that it does not say "Current" licence but most people fully understand what it means and do comply.

As a CCer it took 4 months this year for my licence to catch up with me so displayed nothing did not seem to bother BW as the mooring officer just looked it up on his computer. Might have bothered a few curtain twitchers still gave them something to do.

I thought that it was a legal requirement to display your vehicle road tax disc and the same for your BW licence.

If you go on the Thames without displaying a licence, you will get booked.

It's part of the deal. If at the time of your application you honestly state "For conciencious reasons I will not display my license" then your candid admission that you will not abide by your part of the bargain gives fair notice to BW not to enter into a deal with you.

As a CCer it took 4 months this year for my licence to catch up with me so displayed nothing did not seem to bother BW as the mooring officer just looked it up on his computer. Might have bothered a few curtain twitchers still gave them something to do.

Just because no-one's bothered does not make it legal!

The tax affairs of those who evade taxes is my business as one who pays his tax. Should tax evaders and fraudsters be prosecuted in camera in case their affairs are made public? Nonsense from the paranoid.

This is not even a tax, it is a licence fee - something entirely different. The licence displays evidence that the craft is insured and has a valid sfety certificate as well as that the fee(not tx) has been paid. Things that I should be aware of and should report if not evident.

Just because no-one's bothered does not make it legal!

And just because it's not legal doesn't make it nonsense.

If BW had bothered to take me to court then I would have used it as a protest platform and continued to keep my tax affairs private.

It's part of the deal. If at the time of your application you honestly state "For conciencious reasons I will not display my license" then your candid admission that you will not abide by your part of the bargain gives fair notice to BW not to enter into a deal with you.

BW have been aware of my criminal activities for years yet continued to issue licences.

BW have been aware of my criminal activities for years yet continued to issue licences.

Imagining the reputation you have with BW, I'd imagine that they're seeing giving you a licence and knowing you won't display it as the lesser of two evils, compared to the furore raised by refusing you a licence.... :lol:

Utter nonsense. It is a licence fee and it requires more than money to obtain a disc.

You are required to pay the boat tax, have a safety certificate and acquire insurance, before being issued with a boat licence.

Imagining the reputation you have with BW, I'd imagine that they're seeing giving you a licence and knowing you won't display it as the lesser of two evils, compared to the furore raised by refusing you a licence.... :lol:

I have a mixed reputation but, despite having not had a boat on BW waters for some time, a patrol officer rang me, at home, to see how I was doing and I am regularly asked, by email, for my opinion on various wooden boats, about the system.

That semantics does not detract from the point that the licence fee is merely a tax to help fund the maintenance of the canals and a lot of that is wasted by printing redundant tax discs.

However they are getting very efficient at sending new discs. We renewed online on the Tuesday before we went away and got the discs by the friday. Not bad going. Plus the old ones dont expire until the end of this month so the new ones were over a month early. Good going.

However they are getting very efficient at sending new discs. We renewed online on the Tuesday before we went away and got the discs by the friday. Not bad going. Plus the old ones dont expire until the end of this month so the new ones were over a month early. Good going.

I wish they were a bit smaller, though, so they fitted in my wallet, without creasing them.

Plus the old ones dont expire until the end of this month so the new ones were over a month early. Good going.

You could of course display the new ones on the boat, once you get them, then "donate" the old set to someone who hasn't got any......

That would fool snoopers into thinking they had, and if enough people were that generous they could perhaps display a current licence most of the time.......