Alarm or crew communication

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

I've tried various methods, but the dog doesn't take a blind bit of notice.

Understood - our cat is just the same . . .

Daniel - good links - I am now thinking about the sort of bell or buzzer that was fitted to old buses

Ting, ting, "Anymore fares please?"

Ting, ting, "Anymore fares please?"

:lol:

Nutfield's engine starter button is a very nice chrome "request stop" bus button.

I was most envious of it and do hope the Raymond Trust aren't tempted to dump it.

I think it's gone now but Umbriel had an older version of this on board, instead of a horn, and it passed its BSS exam:

bell.jpg

We have a brass bell, painted by the late Ray Dunford hanging just inside the rear doors, a swift pull to one side on the bit of string hanging on the hammer thing (it has a proper name but I cant remember it) and up she or I pop to do a lock, make tea etc. Shake it to and fro like a terrier on a trouser turn up and its a bit more urgent.

Yep, it works for me too. I have an 8" brass ships bell hanging just inside the rear doors & it's known by all the crew that if they hear it, they drop whatever they are doing & come running. It's not used for any other reason other than, "THE S**T'S ABOUT TO HIT THE FAN. ALL HANDS ON DECK"!!!

:lol:

Nutfield's engine starter button is a very nice chrome "request stop" bus button.

I was most envious of it and do hope the Raymond Trust aren't tempted to dump it.

I think it's gone now but Umbriel had an older version of this on board, instead of a horn, and it passed its BSS exam:

bell.jpg

Having a working horn isn't a BSS requirement

Clapper for sure! I was thinking of installing a buzzer but guess what? I just can't find anything in 24v unless I settle for something like this:

Clicky - 6" (152mm) Fire Alarm Bell 24V DC

Mind you, I think it would work and it would certainly be heard above the sound of the engine :lol:

These work well, and have just been spotted in another post, so thought would be worth a mention. £15 ebay

002.jpg

001.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My fail safe emergency alert signal is nothing more than a referees whistle! The frequency of the whistle is such that it can be heard over and above all engine noise. I have a very loud air cooled Lister HR2 engine that thumps away amidships and the whistle has never failed to attract my wifes attention. It gets put out onto the hatch at the beginning of each day and so I always know where it is.

Do you lot not like your OH's?

When cruising we both sit at the helm, if one of us makes a drink, gets a beer, etc talking usually gets the others attention :lol:

...and in an emergency, the soft crunching of rapidly delaminating GRP usually gets one's attention :lol:

Would have to be some emergency :lol:

I was sat in my Dawncraft 27, one day when I looked across the boat and saw my kitchen heading towards me, at an alarming rate.

A hireboat had misjudged the wind and hit me at full ramming speed, squeezing the boat by what was probably only a few inches but looked and sounded like over a foot.

All the rubbing strakes, above and below the waterline, popped their screws and I began to sink.

Fortunately I was near Weedon and the boatyard could lift me out, immediately, to do repairs which took no more than a couple of hours.

I was sat in my Dawncraft 27, one day when I looked across the boat and saw my kitchen heading towards me, at an alarming rate.

A hireboat had misjudged the wind and hit me at full ramming speed, squeezing the boat by what was probably only a few inches but looked and sounded like over a foot.

All the rubbing strakes, above and below the waterline, popped their screws and I began to sink.

Fortunately I was near Weedon and the boatyard could lift me out, immediately, to do repairs which took no more than a couple of hours.

Did you alert the OH?