Sikaflex/frame sealant/silicone and petrol.

pirate paul

Featured Posts

If you mix sikaflex and petrol it is possible to run it into small gaps, it works with frame sealant and oil based silicone.

It does not work with acrylic silicone.

A new version of pitch and canvas is borne ......

Sikaflex and canvas, horse (or similar) hair or fiber glass mat.

If you mix sikaflex and petrol it is possible to run it into small gaps, it works with frame sealant and oil based silicone.

I look forward to your next thread;

"FIRE DANGER (mixing sikafklex with petrol)"

What are Acrylic silicone and oil-based silicone?

I thought in my innocence that silicone was silicone-based (with varying amounts of filler)?

Please enlighten us

Tim

Why don't you try white spirit as your solvent? It might be a bit safer.

You could always buy the correct grade sikaflex.

Marineflex has better creep properties, btw.

Marineflex is half the price of Sikaflex enawl.

What are Acrylic silicone and oil-based silicone?

I thought in my innocence that silicone was silicone-based (with varying amounts of filler)?

Please enlighten us

Tim

It says on the tube acrylic, if it does not say acrylic it is ( as far as I know oil based )

Why don't you try white spirit as your solvent? It might be a bit safer.

Marineflex is half the price of Sikaflex enawl.

White spirit takes longer to go off, there may be other solvents which are better than petrol.

There are many brands of sealants, I have never tried Marine flex but it sounds similar.

Nail varnish, acetone, meths etc are dangerous to use as is petrol.

OBVIOUS PRECAUTIONS SUCH AS NO SMOKING APPLY.

Well, it wouldn't. Because there's no such thing.

There's Acrylic Sealant and there's Silicone Sealant. They're entirely different things.

In which case, it isn't silicone!

Exactly.

It says on the tube acrylic, if it does not say acrylic it is ( as far as I know oil based )

There are oil-based sealants, such as good old-fashioned Secomastic, a bit out of fashion these days but they still have their place and adding a solvent will certainly thin them down.

As to whether it will work effectively with a true silicone sealant I'm unconvinced until I have more reliable evidence.

Acrylics are essentially water-based so it won't work with them.

Tim

There are oil-based sealants, such as good old-fashioned Secomastic, a bit out of fashion these days but they still have their place and adding a solvent will certainly thin them down.

As to whether it will work effectively with a true silicone sealant I'm unconvinced until I have more reliable evidence.

Acrylics are essentially water-based so it won't work with them.

Tim

I have used silicone and petrol, It works well and lasts as well as neat silicone. I have also used frame sealant and petrol it works well.

I am concerned about using white spirit as it takes so long to evaporate, it seems to make sense to evaporate the solvent before the sealant goes off thus adding to bond strength (the molecular bonds within the sealant) dilute sealant can be applied with a brush and poured into gaps, petrol permeates wood and other permeable substances taking the sealant deep into the wood with it, the result is an exerlant bond with the wood.

But nobody is suggesting we mix acetone with sealant and smear it around boats...

I mix silicone sealant and smear it with a paint brush, it does the job.

It does not work with B&Q multi purpose sealant, the stuff goes lumpy.

I have used it as anti condensation paint on a glass sky light.

I would recommend frame sealant or sika/marineflex type stuff with petrol (I have not tried acetone, the stuff on Duches link is probebly acetone based) on scrim tape (the stuff used by plasterers to prevent cracks betwene plaster boards) along joins on a deck or where the side decks meet the coach roof.

Now it is dry, winter is coming, make hay while the sun shines.