My water pipe is going pink

pagan witch

Featured Posts

We have a food grade, clear plastic water hose that lives with one end in the water tank, then clipped up onto the roof, along the roof line and finally onto a reel. When we want to water up (we are moored stern on) we just unroll the hose down to the water tap.

We noticed a few weeks ago that there were several patches of a distinctly pink shade in the pipe. As one of this was near one end we tried rubbing it, without effect. We have also tried to sterilise it with Milton, again without effect.

The water tastes fine and we have since noticed another boat with a pink hose but we are puzzled about what it might be.

Anyone got any ideas please ?

algae?

Yeah, sounds like stuff growing on the inside of the pipe.

We have a lenght of clear hose running up the side of our tank as a 'sight glass' and that grows a nice grey/green bloom on the inside, so every other year it needs replacing as it stops being clear enought to see the leval.

Only guessing

Daniel

The water tastes fine and we have since noticed another boat with a pink hose but we are puzzled about what it might be.

Anyone got any ideas please ?

30750[/snapback]

Hi there,

Our marine tank has lots of pink corraline algae, but I doubt that's your problem.

An algae would be killed off by the Miltons and rubbing would remove it - I think it is more likely to be something in the water itself staining the pipe. You should be able to find out what additives are in your local water by contacting your local water company - they should also be able to provide you with a breakdown of all the substances and their relative levels too.

There's a list here: http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/aptrix/ofwat/publi...ddresstelephone

Currently our water analysis shows the following:

Analysis Typical Value UK/European Limit Units

Hardness Level Soft No Standard Applies

Hardness Clarks 3.15 No Standard Applies Degrees

Hardness 18 No Standard Applies mgCa/l

Aluminium 10.3 200 μgAl/l

Chloride 9 250 mgCl/l

Chlorine 0.09 No Standard Applies mg/l

Coliform bacteria 0 0 no./100ml

Colour 1.02 20 mg/l Pt/Co

Conductivity 112 2500 μS/cm at 20°C

E.coli bacteria 0 0 no./100ml

Fluoride 0.8 1.5 mgF/l

Iron 19.3 200 μgFe/l

Manganese 1.94 50 μgMn/l

Nitrate 1.41 50 mgNO3/l

Odour 0 3 at 25°C Dilution Number

Pesticides 0 0.5 μg/l

pH 8.31 6.5 - 10.0 pH Value

Sodium 4.6 200 mgNa/l

Taste 0 3 at 25°C Dilution Number

Plumbing Metals

Copper 0.01 2.0 mgCu/l

Lead 1.9 25 μgPb/l

Nickel 1.4 20 μgNi/l

mg/l

is equivalent to one part per million.

μg/l

is equivalent to one part per billion.

Probably more info than you needed and alas I'm no chemist to hazard a guess as to what may be doing the deed -

Len

i think you may have a gay hose pipe and it just likes pink :( it thinks it looks quite nice in pink :D

30799[/snapback]

better in the closet.dont come out :D  :smiley :lol:

30819[/snapback]

Gaggle, do we really need this? :D

- I know theres an argument that says there is a need to lighten up the thread, but there is a point where it just becomes spam, and this has past that point!!

Daniel

Thanks for all of the ideas folks, must admit I like the gay pipe idea - do I have the only gay hosepipe on the cut? :lol:

I know algae can be some wonderful colours and maybe the half decent sunlight and warmth this crew have enjoyed over the summer has been good enough to allow a growth of a more unusual form. However, as I can not rub it off, and Milton didn't touch it either I'm inclined to follow the UV degradation idea.

The pipe was clear when I bought it, and I would guess it was a few months old at least by then, having been made, stored, cut to lengths, stored, transported to wholesaler etc. all the time out of direct sunlight.

As I can't shift the stain, either by abrasion or chemical attact and I'm not dead yet despite using it every 2 - 3 days for some months now I intend to carry on using it. If I die of this I'd like whatever it was named after me please :(