RAISE MONEY, BOOST MEMBERSHIP

Featured Posts

I can't see that ebay ads are going to increase membership for a minute, or that paid membership is the way forward for that matter. I'm a regular contributor to several forums on mower racing, alternative energies and Ford Transits - and I don't pay for the privilege at any of them. Some of these forums have branded merchandise available which you obviously pay for, but membership is always free. My sister belongs to a Toyota Hilux forum and they have some kind of sponsorship program, where you can contribute towards the running costs of the site and become a "sponsor member" or similar, but this is entirely optional.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for membership of ANY forum as such, though if it was a useful resource to me, and if it's continuation was threatened by lack of funds for hosting etc (which isn't that expensive in all fairness) then I would be happy to contribute if "volunteers" were asked for by the forum owner.

And why ebay incidentally? Does it not occur to you that anyone net savvy enough to use ebay might just possibly be aware of something called Google, where you will find this very site at the top of the list if you search for "canal forum"

To be honest, and without wanting to sound harsh, this idea, to me at least, seems about as useful as your earlier ones!

Andy

Edited to say that after reading back through your posts, it seems you are aware of google and the top ranking this site enjoys. It's just that you want the "members" to stage some sort of coup and take it over. Well good luck..........but don't count me in :lol:

Well this one is not spam although we differ in opinion, The point of advertising on ebay is to increase membership and raise funds. There is a make an offer button on ebay also .... if the management want to accept an offer of £0.0 that is up to the management.

Well this one is not spam although we differ in opinion, The point of advertising on ebay is to increase membership and raise funds. There is a make an offer button on ebay also .... if the management want to accept an offer of £0.0 that is up to the management.

I still don't see your point and I'm not sure you've actually got one.

I think you'll be hard pushed to find a single member who doesn't think your idea to take over the site a wee bit silliy.

Why not show us some photos of your boat.

It sounds nearly as interesting as mine.

I cant wait to see how successful your own forum will be when you put the effort in to get it off the ground will it be soon do let me know and i,ll be the first to congratulate you on your successful management. Will we get uniforms and the power to vote or will it be just nice and informal and the theraputic tool that this forum is, just humming along nicely with most people gelling in the main with the focus on cohesion in a knowing and subtle union. :lol::lol:

It seems that you are looking to give some kind of status to those who pay for the forum.

Why?

If Jon is happy to pay the bill himself, what business is it of yours?

If Jon would like people to chip in for some of the cost, then that would be very acceptable. However, it would be a black day indeed if we ever moved to deciding who gets to be site crew based on payment or anything like that.

If Jon wants a few quid, he need only ask, and I'm sure there will be sufficient voluntary donations to cover the bills, and I'm sure that those donations would be anonymous, without any suggestion that those who pay are favoured.

Indeed, for all I know, Jon might already get donations.

If a forum run by a (very) benevolent dictator isn't to your taste, you can set up your own forum run on the lines you want.

The unStable Bar's sewage system is quite impressive, isn't it.

Richard

The same architect designed the stairwells and now no-one can get to the bedrooms anymore...

And who was that architect ...

NOBBER!!!

Edited by Chris J W

So the owners of the forum (who you would like to be ousted by the membership) should pay ebay listing fees for advertising the forum then? Ebay are a waste of space anyway (though I do use it I should say) and charge for everything they possibly can, even more so now that they own paypal so can charge twice for every transaction.

The forum, as it stands, is right at the top of the listings in google - which is a fairly enviable position when you've got there without paid adwords and all the rest of the things they can charge you for. That would say to me that it's doing pretty well. I don't know how familiar you are with the internet, but as others have said, why don't you set up your own forum and see how you get on if you want a different regime?

Andy

Pirate Paul,

I don't quite understand what it is that you want out of this forum, I'd seen it as a site that enables people to ask questions and advise about boaty things and make friends along the way in a community kind of style. I'm so grateful that this site is here as I've learnt so much and haven't been ridiculed when asking daft questions!

To this end I think that the web site is fine, what else do you want? What is it that you'd like to change? If you've got a suggestion for adding something why not suggest it, there was a suggestion just the other day about adding a catagory for banters.

As for paying for the site I'm sure that as others have said you could donate some money if you want, but as it's not your site you don't have the right to change things. If you want a site of your own I wish you good luck in setting it up, but as we've already got a community on here you'll have to make it pretty special to drag folk over... maybe it could brew up for you whilst you're reading the latest posts? Just a suggestion?!

all the best,

Kate

Pirate Paul,

I don't quite understand what it is that you want out of this forum, I'd seen it as a site that enables people to ask questions and advise about boaty things and make friends along the way in a community kind of style. I'm so grateful that this site is here as I've learnt so much and haven't been ridiculed when asking daft questions!

To this end I think that the web site is fine, what else do you want? What is it that you'd like to change? If you've got a suggestion for adding something why not suggest it, there was a suggestion just the other day about adding a catagory for banters.

As for paying for the site I'm sure that as others have said you could donate some money if you want, but as it's not your site you don't have the right to change things. If you want a site of your own I wish you good luck in setting it up, but as we've already got a community on here you'll have to make it pretty special to drag folk over... maybe it could brew up for you whilst you're reading the latest posts? Just a suggestion?!

all the best,

Kate

spot on :lol:

Pirate Paul,

all the best,

Kate

I dont know what I want from this forum... I am advertised for a ferro boat... cost me nothing... great... if I set up my own forum I will get stiff compertition....I have learned some stuff on phone dongles and enjoyed reading lots of stuff.... This bit of the forum is for surgestions ....I made a few, that is what it is for.

The management is surgesting that subscriptions of £5 is about right.

I am surgesting (in this surgestions thread) use ebay or add a pay now /make an offer button Personaly I am prepared to click on that button.

In the new canals thread I partly explained the workings of a proposed new canal some members where interested, the thread is dificult to read due to the spam. the same spammers followed me to this thread.

Stick to the thread spammers this is about raising funds for this forum, if there is any cash left over it is to be given to charity.

I dont know what I want from this forum... I am advertised for a ferro boat... cost me nothing... great... if I set up my own forum I will get stiff compertition....I have learned some stuff on phone dongles and enjoyed reading lots of stuff.... This bit of the forum is for surgestions ....I made a few, that is what it is for.

I am surgesting (in this surgestions thread) use ebay or add a pay now /make an offer button Personaly I am prepared to click on that button.

In the new canals thread I partly explained the workings of a proposed new canal some members where interested, the thread is dificult to read due to the spam. the same spammers followed me to this thread.

Stick to the thread spammers this is about raising funds for this forum, if there is any cash left over it is to be given to charity.

Er? Where do you get the £5 from?

(Or are you now suggesting that you're the Management?)

Who are you calling spammers, exactly?

You made a suggestion and you have received an overwhelming answer. No'one agrees with you.

Is everyone a "spammer" and do you really understand what spam is?

The management haven't suggested £5.

You, entirely unbidden have suggested a subscription.

You also appear to have not the slightest clue what a spammer is.

If you don't know what it means, don't use it.

Hey, stop spamming him Chris

Richard

Scene: A cafe. One table is occupied by a group of Vikings with horned helmets on. A man and his wife enter.

Man: You sit here, dear.

Wife: All right.

Man: (to Waitress) Morning!

Waitress: Morning!

Man: Well, what've you got?

Waitress: Well, there's egg and bacon; egg sausage and bacon; egg and spam; egg bacon and spam; egg bacon sausage and spam; spam bacon sausage and spam; spam egg spam spam bacon and spam; spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam;

Vikings: (starting to chant) Spam spam spam spam...

Waitress: ...spam spam spam egg and spam; spam spam spam spam spam spam baked beans spam spam spam...

Vikings: (singing) Spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!

Waitress: ...or Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.

Wife: Have you got anything without spam?

Waitress: Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

Wife: I don't want ANY spam!

Man: Why can't she have egg bacon spam and sausage?

Wife: THAT'S got spam in it!

Man: Hasn't got as much spam in it as spam egg sausage and spam, has it?

Vikings: Spam spam spam spam (crescendo through next few lines)

Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?

Waitress: Urgghh!

Wife: What do you mean 'Urgghh'? I don't like spam!

Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!

Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.

Wife: (shrieks) I don't like spam!

Man: Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam beaked beans spam spam spam and spam!

Vikings: (singing) Spam spam spam spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!

Waitress: Shut up!! Baked beans are off.

Man: Well could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress: You mean spam spam spam spam spam spam... (but it is too late and the Vikings drown her words)

Vikings: (singing elaborately) Spam, spam, spam, spam. Lovely spam! Wonderful spaaam! Lovely spam! Wonderful spam. Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am! Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am! Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am! Spa-a-a-a-a-a-a-am! Lovely spam! (Lovely spam!) Lovely spam! (Lovely spam!) Lovely spaaam! Spam, spam, spam, spaaaaam!

Yes, but had it not been for this thread we would never have discussed the question of what was happening about The Facilities in the VP. So in someway he's done a public service and we can stop blaming Baldock for the smell.

Edited by Chris J W

Why are you all letting this guy continue to Bhaite you? I reckon he 'enjoys' idiotic debate, just ignore him and he might disappear up his own canal?

He's a bit silly but it's harmless silly.

As long as he can take the ribbing (and the mods divert his sillier threads to the VP) what harm is he doing?

I'd still like to see pics of his ex-naval boat, too!

• 2 weeks later...