Premium Moorings

tonyreptiles

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I'm comparing mooring costs and wondered if you guys could point me towards a"Premium" mooring.

By that I mean an all singing, all dancing mooring, probably a marina, probably in London.

I'd like to compare the costs and facilities with other mooring options.

Many thanks

TR

Hi All,

I'm comparing mooring costs and wondered if you guys could point me towards a"Premium" mooring.

By that I mean an all singing, all dancing mooring, probably a marina, probably in London.

Many thanks

TR

For BWML marinas go to:

http://www.bwml.co.uk/uploads/customerinfo...s_-_website.pdf

Tim

Hi All,

Many thanks

TR

Try Tingdene Marinas on the Thames - they are premium prices.

Also Penton Hook Marina.

Jo.

British Waterways run, fully residential (complete with Council Tax...) London Zone 5, lots of amenities, bloody miles from the tube, reasonable security, all full now but 5 recently tendered berths...

https://mooringtenders.waterscape.com/searc...asic&id=837

(NB Guide price was upped from £5250 to £5498 after the first couple received highest bids of £8250 and £9250 respectively, but the successful bids seem to have levelled out at around £5500-£6000p.a.)

Whilst these look like great moorings (if you like that kind of thing!) I'm not sure they represent the top end.

Is 5K really a top end mooring?

I'd guess ones more central to London would be more pricey?

Camden moorings?

Residentials in Central London?

Does anyone have any details or contact info?

Many thanks

Tony

IMHO moorings like Brentford Island or Engineers Wharf or Limehouse must represent the top end. Very secure, all the facilities, quiet, great environment, great locations, really lovely. I am not sure what you are looking for if you are talking about higher end than that! Places like Camden wont have the security or the peace and quiet or the facilities. Anything on the Thames will be tidal, great if you like mud!

Edited by WJM

IMHO moorings like Brentford Island or Engineers Wharf or Limehouse must represent the top end. Very secure, all the facilities, quiet, great environment, great locations, really lovely. I am not sure what you are looking for if you are talking about higher end than that! Places like Camden wont have the security or the peace and quiet or the facilities. Anything on the Thames will be tidal, great if you like mud!

Hi WJM,

thanks for those pointers.

I'm looking to compare the prices I've found for cheap moorings here in the North with premium places/prices in London.

I'm very surprised to find residential moorings in London for circa £5K!

However, I understand that London moorers do sometimes pay more and I'd like to see what they get for their money. The Brentford/Limehouse moorings sound interesting so I'll certainly check those out, but how expensive does London mooring actually get?

Thanks again

TR

Whilst these look like great moorings (if you like that kind of thing!) I'm not sure they represent the top end.

Is 5K really a top end mooring?

I'd guess ones more central to London would be more pricey?

Camden moorings?

Residentials in Central London?

Does anyone have any details or contact info?

Many thanks

Tony

If you reallt want top dollar the most expensive moorings I am aware of on the canal in Central London are at Ice Wharf at Kings Cross at £8k !

Details here

Tim

Hi Tony

I think the biggest problem about London moorings is the actual availability rather than the costs? That will up the price considerably :lol:

Not that that's any help to finding prices out!

I think, correct me if I am wrong, that there are a few vacant moorings at Brentford.

also, I see that that horrible tendering system attracted bids for the Engineers Wharf moorings up to to £5500.

That would suggest that both pricing and supply at the top end of the market is about right.

Im suprised at how cheap some of those are. We pay more per metre than most of those.

It makes sense, though. Marinas with a large number of shorter boats, such as those on rivers, or at sea, do seem to have high prices. They're charging what the market can bear, and if people are willing to pay, say, £3k for a marina berth for a 20' sportsboat, and £3k for a berth inland for a 70' narrowboat, then of course both will charge that, with the salty marina having a higher cost per metre.

Or, to put it another way, the shorter the average length of the boats it attracts, the higher the price per metre.

It makes sense, though. Marinas with a large number of shorter boats, such as those on rivers, or at sea, do seem to have high prices. They're charging what the market can bear, and if people are willing to pay, say, £3k for a marina berth for a 20' sportsboat, and £3k for a berth inland for a 70' narrowboat, then of course both will charge that, with the salty marina having a higher cost per metre.

Or, to put it another way, the shorter the average length of the boats it attracts, the higher the price per metre.

Trouble is there are NB's paying the same price........ They must be mad

Or desparate to be in the area.

I mean, a mooring, even at 6k a year, is I suppose a lot less than the average mortgage!

Strictly no live-aboards and the NB moorings are next to the office. Dont suspect you would get away with it.

As people have said, in London it's the availability that'll get you every time. People bid huge amounts (one's paying £9250pa in our marina) because they're desperate to get a residential mooring anywhere inside zone 6! It seems to have settled to a reasonable market value of £5500pa because they 'flooded' the market early this year. I bet if one berth becomes available on its own it'll go for more.

Many of the very central London moorings get passed on with boat sales, so you see boats worth maybe £40k being sold, with mooring, for £150k. Of the moorings listed on the posted BW list, only two of the residentials (Engineers and Limehouse) have had any berths for tender in the last year or so. Many of the others are hardly what I'd call premium either - I've used the facilities at Ice Wharf and they're not terribly smart - the showers/toilets and Elsan point are hardly swish.

As people have said, in London it's the availability that'll get you every time. People bid huge amounts (one's paying £9250pa in our marina) because they're desperate to get a residential mooring anywhere inside zone 6! It seems to have settled to a reasonable market value of £5500pa because they 'flooded' the market early this year. I bet if one berth becomes available on its own it'll go for more.

Many of the very central London moorings get passed on with boat sales, so you see boats worth maybe £40k being sold, with mooring, for £150k. Of the moorings listed on the posted BW list, only two of the residentials (Engineers and Limehouse) have had any berths for tender in the last year or so. Many of the others are hardly what I'd call premium either - I've used the facilities at Ice Wharf and they're not terribly smart - the showers/toilets and Elsan point are hardly swish.

Yes, agreed and there is such a shortage, should any moorings come available, they invariably get used for boats that have been moved from somewhere else by BW (as we have noticed).

On our bit of the Lee, only one mooring became available for auction, since the auctions started. It's not allowed to transfer them up here, but they just never, ever come up.

Or desparate to be in the area.

I mean, a mooring, even at 6k a year, is I suppose a lot less than the average mortgage!

A room in a shared house in London is about £500 a month, a flat starts at £750 a month for a pokey studio, a proper flat would be £850+ so it can make a marina mooring seem good value.

A room in a shared house in London is about £500 a month, a flat starts at £750 a month for a pokey studio, a proper flat would be £850+ so it can make a marina mooring seem good value.

Quite. I remember reading lots of advice warning people not to move aboard to save money, because you won't. So far (and I recognise the risk in saying this) our average running costs, including the boat finance, are substantially lower than the fairly ropey flat we could otherwise have afforded to rent (not even buy). And yes, we do pay Council Tax :lol:

Of course, we still put away the difference for a rainy day (well, something very expensive breaking) but at least we own our boat. Living on a boat in a London marina seems considerably more premium than renting a flat, and cheaper!

If you want location, location,location you could go for St Katharine Docks, next to Tower Bridge.

I was walking through there last week and there where 4 narrowboats in residence

It's about £400 per year per metre, plus everything else.

Quite. I remember reading lots of advice warning people not to move aboard to save money, because you won't.

Well it depends what standard of living you want. If you want to run a gigantic plasma screen telly and have a washer dryer, have your stereo on and central heating whacked up all winter, get the boat out the water every year and get it professionally repainted every few years and moor in a NW1 marina, then yes it will be eye wateringly expensive.

If you're an ex-squatter living in a cabin cruiser that you picked up off ebay for a song, with no heating and you are bridge hopping, bow hauling your boat every time you have to move (because the engine doesn't work), then your costs are going to be the cost of the license and very little else.

Most London boaters are somewhere in the middle.