What finish for counter?

WotEver

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for a finish for the small cruiser stern on Wot Ever. It's currently painted, but that wears off with shoes and it goes rusty really quickly. I've tried Dri-Dek (or equivalent) and it looks great when first laid, but has two problems. (1) the stern has no upstand, so there's nothing to stop the whole interlocked thing sliding around (already lost one tile to the cut) and (2) in hot weather they just become too flexible and come apart (cyanoacrylate doesn't glue them).

So.... I've considered covering the entire stern with that Watco Surestep product that was in an earlier thread. I'm sure it would look great initially but I can see it getting very dirty off muddy shoes and being difficult to keep clean - hence getting very tatty very quickly.

So then I considered Hammerite - it's tough, fast drying and stays pretty good looking although it's hardly a traditional finish.

Should I simply resign myself to regular rubbing down and re-painting?

Or has someone got any better suggestions?

Here's a picture of the stern so's you can get an idea:

gallery_8291_475_7765.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Tony :lol:

Edited by tony@hdheaven.co.uk

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for a finish for the small cruiser stern on Wot Ever. It's currently painted, but that wears off with shoes and it goes rusty really quickly. I've tried Dri-Dek (or equivalent) and it looks great when first laid, but has two problems. (1) the counter has no upstand, so there's nothing to stop the whole interlocked thing sliding around (already lost one tile to the cut) and (2) in hot weather they just become too flexible and come apart (cyanoacrylate doesn't glue them).

So.... I've considered covering the entire counter with that Watco Surestep product that was in an earlier thread. I'm sure it would look great initially but I can see it getting very dirty off muddy shoes and being difficult to keep clean - hence getting very tatty very quickly.

So then I considered Hammerite - it's tough, fast drying and stays pretty good looking although it's hardly a traditional finish.

Thanks in advance,

If by "counter" you mean the stern deck then I would use a non slip deck paint like International Interdeck. It's easier to apply than paint & sand.

The counter (or uxter plate) is the horizontal sheet inside the engine hole, about halfway between the baseplate and the stern deck.

I'm confused, because you say "cruiser stern", but from the pic it looks like a "trad stern" to me.

Is the engine under that bit, or in the rear cabin ?

It is relevant to the answer, depending on whether that back deck has anything in it that you need to be able to lift or not.

Even if it's a "trad", can I not see some kind of hatch in it ?

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for a finish for the small cruiser stern on Wot Ever. It's currently painted, but that wears off with shoes and it goes rusty really quickly. I've tried Dri-Dek (or equivalent) and it looks great when first laid, but has two problems. (1) the counter has no upstand, so there's nothing to stop the whole interlocked thing sliding around (already lost one tile to the cut) and (2) in hot weather they just become too flexible and come apart (cyanoacrylate doesn't glue them).

So.... I've considered covering the entire counter with that Watco Surestep product that was in an earlier thread. I'm sure it would look great initially but I can see it getting very dirty off muddy shoes and being difficult to keep clean - hence getting very tatty very quickly.

Thanks in advance,

How about applying a rough anti skid (shotblast grit) on a thick coat of paint then overpainting a few times and then put a one piece rubber matting on?, cut a square bit round the hatch which will then be removable, shotblast will grip matting and prevent it sliding. Use heavy duty perforated matting, pricey but will last well + won't curl up/blow away

Edited by nb Innisfree

The counter (or uxter plate) is the horizontal sheet inside the engine hole, about halfway between the baseplate and the stern deck.

Thanks for the correction - yes, I meant the stern deck :lol: (I always thought Counter and Uxter were two different things)

I'm confused, because you say "cruiser stern", but from the pic it looks like a "trad stern" to me.

It's cruiser - but as I said, it's only a little cruiser stern - so almost a trad ;-)

Is the engine under that bit, or in the rear cabin ?

She be under that bit. and yes, there's an access hatch to get to both engine and weed hatch.

T :lol:

Thanks all of you for your replies :lol:

Protecta Kote (why do manufacturers insist on silly spelling to make their products stand out?) is looking like my favourite right now.

Cheers,

Tone :lol:

Thanks all of you for your replies :lol:

Protecta Kote (why do manufacturers insist on silly spelling to make their products stand out?) is looking like my favourite right now.

Cheers,

Tone :lol:

Can`t resist saying that we also have an anti-slip deck paint . However - I would paint it with a decent enamel in colour of choice , go a bit easy on it while it cures and be prepared to repaint when it becomes necessary. The downside is that it will wear away with constant abuse from shoes , boots , gravel in treads thereof etc but it has an upside in that it is much easier to keep clean that a textured finish. And - the more heavily textured - the more difficult to clean. Of the textured finishes avilable I would almost prefer sand if only people would use it properly.They hardly ever do though and then it looks a bugger - even before the rust blisters come through....................

Could you please share the secret of how to use it properly, Phil?

I'd like to know too :lol:

Getting back to my particular problem, some of the pitting is pretty bad - up to 2 or 3mm - but it's only in a couple of areas (blame the previous owners). I was thinking of experimenting with rust treatment and then as many coats of primer as I need to end with a flat (ish) surface prior to two coats of undercoat and top coat. Do you sell a high-build primer, Phil? Does anyone (that would be suitable for this purpose)?

TIA,