Newbie questions..

Rebsy

Featured Posts

So, I am new to this forum and new to boating..

Recently, by husband put an offer in on a Narrowboat, having no prior knowledge of boats.

In theory she is quite sound and well looked after - She will be having a survey shortly and if all OK, we have arranged moorings to keep her safe until we move in.

Since the offer, I have been reading forums, gaining knowledge to help me understand the boat and life on board.

I do however, seem to have the need to want to know how each and every part of the boat works - from the engine to how to the mechanics of the pump out toilet work. - My husband has said, quite rightly, that I do not know how the toilet at home works, or how to open the bonnet of my car, so why do I need to know all about the boats! However, I told him, that I just do!

So my question is:

Is there any good books which will explain to me in simple terms boating mechanics? Currently I am poindering..

1. Do you need to put chemicals in a pump out toilet and how?

2. How much does the toilet tank hold?

3. I know that the shower / sink waters goes back in the canal, but how? I believe that there is a pump.. but is there also a tank? and what happens if the pump breaks?

Thanks,

"Hello I've bought a boat and know nothing about them at all.................how does the bog work?"

Welcome! You'll fit in just fine!

:lol::lol::lol:

Rebsy, spend some time - a LOT of time - reading through these forums. You'll get the answers to all your questions plus a lot of answers to questions you haven't even thought of.

As regards "How much does the toilet tank hold?" it entirely depends on how big the toilet tank is :lol:

Cheers,

Tony ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

Rebsy, spend some time - a LOT of time - reading through these forums. You'll get the answers to all your questions plus a lot of answers to questions you haven't even thought of.

As regards "How much does the toilet tank hold?" it entirely depends on how big the toilet tank is ;)

Cheers,

Tony ;)

Ahh yes, of course.. silly me!.:lol: ... but how do you know its full?

Ahh yes, of course.. silly me!.:lol: ... but how do you know its full?

To some extent it depends on toilet type.

If it's the attractively named "dump through" type like the Mansfield Traveller, where the loo discharges directly into the tank below, then peer down the hole, (with torch if required), seems to be the standard answer.

If, as many are, the foul "water" tank is on one side of the boat, some claim to be able to estimate "fullness" by the angle at which it is causing the boat to list.

or your tanks will have gauges. :lol:

1. Do you need to put chemicals in a pump out toilet and how?

Your choice, many discussions (favourite topic), you can not bother, use 'blue' or 'green'.

2. How much does the toilet tank hold?

Already answered but it does vary. :lol:

3. I know that the shower / sink waters goes back in the canal, but how? I believe that there is a pump.. but is there also a tank? and what happens if the pump breaks?

The sinks will drain by gravity straight out through the side of the boat.

Showers again vary depends on the system fitted to your boat, there is always a pump, sometimes automatic (float switch) or manual (turn on before starting shower), if the pump breaks you repair or replace, you will know when, there will be water in the wrong place.

Tony Brooks site is good but remember it is the notes for one of his courses. http://www.tb-training.co.uk/

http://www.waterscape.com lots of info and downloads, does need searching though, 'owning a boat' is a good place to start.

ps. you do not need to know how your toilet at home works but on a boat you will. :lol:

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

Edit: to fix a link Thanks Tony

Edited by bottle

ps. you do not need to know how your toilet at home works but on a boat you will. :lol:

^^

This is so true - you can fix most stuff yourself if you learn how it works - it's amazing what you can find by Googling, it's how we fixed our Thetford.

Learn how it all works and you're halfway there.

it's how we fixed our Thetford.

What broke? How did you fix it?

T :lol:

waterscape.com/ lots of info and downloads, does need searching though, 'owning a boat' is a good place to start.

Link is broken. Here's good one: http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boa...seful-downloads

T :lol:

Edited by tony@hdheaven.co.uk

How old is the boat that you are buying?

The reason I ask is that there can be problems with inadequate/dodgy paperwork and this can come back to haunt you when you come to sell on/trade up etc in the future?

Even some brokers/surveyors find it hard to keep up with RCD Legislation etc !

Tread carefully.

Thank you all for the information... I think it I will be doing a lot of reading on this fourm!

With regards to the boat.. she is 1989, the man we are buying from (not a broker) does have all the paperwork from new.. including photos of it being built, all receipts etc.. so I am pretty confident all is OK.

Thank you all for the information... I think it I will be doing a lot of reading on this fourm!

With regards to the boat.. she is 1989, the man we are buying from (not a broker) does have all the paperwork from new.. including photos of it being built, all receipts etc.. so I am pretty confident all is OK.

Your boat is pre RCD red tape so thats not going to be a problem. On a 20 year old boat hope she has a goos service history etc.

All the best.