Acess to the Sea

bastonjock

Featured Posts

Hi Guys

Are there any rivers that connect to the inland waterways from the sea that are further North than the Humber?Id like to leave the wash and sail up the east coast then return by way of canalas and rivers.

Just checked my Geo project map and I can't sea :lol: any

Edited by MJG

Hi Guys

Are there any rivers that connect to the inland waterways from the sea that are further North than the Humber?Id like to leave the wash and sail up the east coast then return by way of canalas and rivers.

No, the Humber is the furthest North.

What type of boat is Glissando?

Howard

Hi Guys

Caledonian Canal? Forth & Clyde??

Richard

Glissando is a macgregor 26x,shes a water ballasted powersailor.Ive done coastal stuff up to force seven and also pottered along the river nene.today i was given a two week pass to go sailing :lol: or river cruising.Ive long had a hankering to sail up to Lindisfarne and i was hopeing to sail up the outside and then return by way of canals and rivers.Ive sailed around the coast as far south as the river Orwell and the walton backwaters.

Ive been looking at the sea charts and i think i can do it in 4-5 days,stay for the weekend and return,its about 200 Nm from the nene exit into the wash,the North Yorks coastline is majestic,ive seen it from the land and id love to see it from the sea.Im in the very early stages of a plan but if i cover 40-50 nm a day then its dooable as long as it does not get over 35mph winds.

In an ideal world id cover the distance to lindisfarne in 4 days stay for 4 take 3 days to reach the humber and then head for the trent and return down the Witham,across the wash and back up the nene.

maybee ill go for an early start and try to hit Scarborough on the 1st day.

I also have the option of if i end up somewhere and cant get back,my wife can bring the trailer up and i can get home that way.

I have not crossed out going south and up the thames to return by way of GU,whats the width of the locks at Northampton that lead to the nene? my boat os 7ft 8 inches wide.

I have not crossed out going south and up the thames to return by way of GU,whats the width of the locks at Northampton that lead to the nene? my boat os 7ft 8 inches wide.

Unfortunately there's no way of getting from the GU to the Northern Canal network, with a wide beam boat, unless you get your Mac on a trailer, for the Northampton Arm.

maybee ill go for an early start and try to hit Scarborough on the 1st day.

Why on earth would you want to stop there when Whitby is only a bit further up the coast?

Edit to add - oooo - just googled pics, too. Very nice! :lol:

Edited by Chris J W

There is a lock through the Tees barrage dimensions are 24.88x6.08m with a draught of 2.48m There is then 11miles of navigable river administered by BW. Try a Google search for more info. There is also a white water canoe/rafting course round the barrage using the fall between the maintained river level and the height of the tidal waterway below. Not certain of the airdraft on the tidal Tees - no problems with the Transporter Bridge, but the Newport Vertical lift bridge is no longer operational - see this link. The Transporter bridge is always worth going to see if motoring in the area as is the old port of Hartlepool.

Thanks richard,ill have a close look at that,i was hoping that one of the more northerly rivers would link up with BWs trent then i can explore a bit more.thank you guys for the kind comments on my boat,i have piccys of her on this forum,post 171 its on the post for piccys of boats.

The mac is a very versatile boat,it allows me to pursue what i enjoy weither its on the river,canals or sitting in an estuary watching the sunset.I draw 18 inches with the engine down and the air draught is 6ft 4 inches so i get under most things,you can also run her up on the beach :lol:

There is a lock through the Tees barrage dimensions are 24.88x6.08m with a draught of 2.48m There is then 11miles of navigable river administered by BW.

Ahh now we are in my neck of the woods - makes a change in here :lol:

Just need the Ripon canal extending to Skelton-in-Cleveland and I'm sorted.

Edited to add - oh and another vote for Whitby over Scarborough, at least it has some character Scarborough is I'm afraid like Blackpool but on a bad day, without the tower the trams or the illuminations.

Edited by MJG

The mac is a very versatile boat,it allows me to pursue what i enjoy weither its on the river,canals or sitting in an estuary watching the sunset.I draw 18 inches with the engine down and the air draught is 6ft 4 inches so i get under most things,you can also run her up on the beach :lol:

And you can fit loads of Golden Virginia, in those ballast tanks and outrun the revenue man :lol:

i agree that whitby is the nicer if the two towns,i have fond memories of Scarborough before i knew any better.It will all boil down to wind speed and direction,im hoping to average 50nm a day,so from the mouth of the nene ill pull into spurn head and drop the hook for the night,then leave the following morning and try to hit whitby the next day.

Carlt :lol: i smoke golden virginia too,so the idea has crossed my mind :lol: