Moring in Stoke-On-Trent?

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Planning on going from Congleton to Stoke-On-Trent tomorrow taking 'DaveAndDebby' for a trip through Harecastle Tunnel (after I use their help to get through the massively deep and dangerous Hall Green Stop Lock) and will be dropping them off in Stoke.

Any suggestions for a decent overnight mooring? I was thinking of Etruria Junction as I may have a wander up there.

[edit for typo]

Edited by Chris J W

Planning on going from Congleton to Stoke-On-Trent tomorrow taking 'DaveAndDebby' for a trip through Harecastle Tunnel (after I use their help to get through the massively deep and dangerous Hall Green Stop Lock) and will be dropping them off in Stoke.

Any suggestions for a decent overnight mooring? I was thinking of Etruria Junction as I may have a wander up there.

[edit for typo]

Last couple of times that I have moored in SOT has been at Westport Lake just North of Etruria, a very safeand popular overnight mooring but slightly lacking in beer token spending facilities.

Seen many boats moored at Festival Park and at Etruria.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Would go with Festival Village/Park, just by the Black Prince hire base. You can moor right outside the pub.

We've stopped there a few times now and have never had any problems, well apart from the speeding cyclists.

Ta, All!

Tied up just above the junction and have found, much to my surprise, that the Toby Carvery is the best pub within staggering distance.

Quite agree. We had a great carvery meal there last year. Very reasonably priced. We had just completed the Caldon Canal and moored up close to the Etruria Industrial Museum. When we went to the Toby Carvery we had several folk we met on our Caldon Canal trip come up to our table to so hello again. Super popular with boaters and this is well understandable. :lol:

Stewey

I've moored 4 times now at Longport. It's the nearest place to visit The Bull's Head at Burslem (Market Square?). The best real ale in SoT (Titanic Brewery Tap). Never had any trouble.

If you make it to Burslem, be sure to try The Leopard. Last year we had a superb meal with numerous real ales available - bit the highlight was that when we'd all finished eating, they prodced an enormous Stilton with biscuits !