Our Recent Trip To Hertford

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Whilst I continue to try and get "herself" to get the Chalice Blog up to date, here is a taster of some of the more "interesting" boats viewed on our trip from Tring summit to Hertford and back.

A fairly elaborate "solar" installation, (not suitable for Harecastle tunnel)

BoatwithSolar.jpg

I think this is probably a replica of a Blisworth tunnel tug, (but maybe wrong!)

BoatPilot.jpg

A paddle wheeler - I bet it handles nicely, but at least easier to clear a fouled "prop"

BoatwithPaddle.jpg

An all black, and rather "Goth" narrowboat - Valhalla

BoatValhalla.jpg

Strangest of them all, the "Andrina"

Is this really fully welded together ? Or can it be separated ? How do you avoid corrosion between the two hulls ? One engine, or two ? How is it steered ?

So many questions - does anybody know, please ?

BoatAndrina1.jpg

BoatAndrina2.jpg

This boat was being used as a pusher tug to move scaffolfing materials for replacing insulators on the dual power lines on the Lee. Seems a strange choice, and was even fully camouflaged.

BoatCommandoStyle.jpg

And finally, (with apologies if you are a forum member, Peter), but if this were my surname, I'm not sure I'd have it sign written on my narrow boat.

BoatSignWritten.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

You certainly get some good shots Alan,No.4 Valhalla which causes a lot of comment was built by Kate boats, I saw it featured in one of the canal programs a while ago where they interviewed the owners.

The roof/stern hatch area seems to have been modified since the bulid,the photos on the Kate boats site show a different roofline.

Strangest of them all, the "Andrina"

Is this really fully welded together ? Or can it be separated ? How do you avoid corrosion between the two hulls ? One engine, or two ? How is it steered ?

So many questions - does anybody know, please ?

BoatAndrina1.jpg

BoatAndrina2.jpg

The two boats are owned by Gerry, a lovely old guy who lives aboard. Originally he owned one boat,found space a bit tight, and had another identical boat built. He now lives on one and uses the other as a workshop/store. The two hulls are actually bolted together using heavyweight girders, so can be separated for drydocking, but are not too easy to get back together due to ballasting issues. Both boats have engines, but Gerry normally only uses one, and steers from that boat. Gerry is very security conscious and every conceivable opening is well covered. When I first met Gerry, moored on the River Lea, painted in Battleship grey, and with his extendable, double, TV mast erected, the boats looked like a Goverment listening station!

Thanks for the explanation.

It seems kind of strange he doesn't just breast them up with suitable lines, but it would be boring if one didn't keep turning up things a bit unusual. :lol:

I think if they are permanently joined, you pay only one license.

Ah yes - I guess it's "one" boat, not two.

He must have one of the few "wide beams" that could actually pass through Watford and Foxton locks, but not legally, it would appear. :lol:

Absolutely correct-hence the (almost) permanent connection. They are registered, I believe, as a 14ft wide boat

Yes, this appears to be it (them ??)

ANDRINA Built by WEST RIDING BOAT CO

Length 17.99 metres (59 feet ) - Beam 4.12 metres (13 feet 6 inches ) - Draft 0.69 metres (2 feet 3 inches )

Metal hull power of 30.

Registered with British Waterways number 69047 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-May-09.

Yes, this appears to be it (them ??)

ANDRINA Built by WEST RIDING BOAT CO

Length 17.99 metres (59 feet ) - Beam 4.12 metres (13 feet 6 inches ) - Draft 0.69 metres (2 feet 3 inches )

Metal hull power of 30.

Registered with British Waterways number 69047 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-May-09.

The second half was built in Nazeing, Essex by Jim Pailing. I think thats his first name anyway. There was a small article about him in Waterways World a few(quite a few) years ago

Whilst I continue to try and get "herself" to get the Chalice Blog up to date, here is a taster of some of the more "interesting" boats viewed on our trip from Tring summit to Hertford and back.

I think this is probably a replica of a Blisworth tunnel tug, (but maybe wrong!)

BoatPilot.jpg

Hi Alan,

Sounds as though you had a busy trip.

Is the boat featured called 'Pilot'?, if so it is a replica of a Blisworth Tunnel tug, It looks like a Tony Francis boat, but according to my photo of 'Pilot' it is painted green and well kept (or was when I saw it on the Tring summit 2 years ago.

Leo.

• 6 years later...