Thrupp -- confusing signs

onthecut

Featured Posts

Ok -- it's probably me just being dim, but having recently passed through Thrupp with a view to mooring up, I have to say I found the signage very confusing. Seeing all the sign posts with the TCCC plates on, I took it to be all private -- and was then scratching my head over those that mentioned a time frame. Having since spoken to a local, I now understand the club looks after the moorings for BW, so those with time limits marked are effectively just ordinary moorings. Surely it would make more sense to use standard BW signs on these moorings. Problem is, if you don't twig (as I didn't) until it's too late, you've gone past.

I'm sure most cruisers aren't particularly fussed who is actually looking after the stretch (unless something is wrong !) -- so really no need to alter otherwise nationally used BW signs.

Mike.

Snap, had the same confusion myself

after shipton bridge there are a couple of private moorings, then some 14day ones that go around the corner, then private moorings (marked so) up to the lift bridge. After the lift bridge there are 7day moorings on the right hand side, and these convert to winter moorings (signed private) during..er.. winter. The private moorings start again when the road leaves the canal side, and there are 14 day moorings just before the jolly boatman pub and then 48hour outside the pub. After the bridge by the pub the moorings are 14days up to where they become private for 2 moorings, followed by a couple of 48hour moorings, followed by a few private ones and then you are away from the area.

TCCC manage the moorings, but there are plenty of visitor ones, which they also manage, and it is easy to moor up. Stop by next time and you can have cake in the tea shop!

after shipton bridge there are a couple of private moorings, then some 14day ones that go around the corner, then private moorings (marked so) up to the lift bridge. After the lift bridge there are 7day moorings on the right hand side, and these convert to winter moorings (signed private) during..er.. winter. The private moorings start again when the road leaves the canal side, and there are 14 day moorings just before the jolly boatman pub and then 48hour outside the pub. After the bridge by the pub the moorings are 14days up to where they become private for 2 moorings, followed by a couple of 48hour moorings, followed by a few private ones and then you are away from the area.

TCCC manage the moorings, but there are plenty of visitor ones, which they also manage, and it is easy to moor up. Stop by next time and you can have cake in the tea shop!

112.gif

Was closed when i got there last night

Hi,

as a soon to become CCers (real ones!) we would find it most helpful if posters mentioned the canal/river that they are talking about, as just having a lock, bridge, pub referred to, is very confusing for people that do not have local knowledge.

TIA

Keith :lol:

Left there this morning, good moorings.

Now on the Thames by the Trout, scorching hot.

Doh ive missed you im sat at the last lock in oxford going down Thames in the morning,was going to turn and go by dukes cut but can`t turn 62 around in a 50 hole89.gif

Hi,

as a soon to become CCers (real ones!) we would find it most helpful if posters mentioned the canal/river that they are talking about, as just having a lock, bridge, pub referred to, is very confusing for people that do not have local knowledge.

TIA

Keith :lol:

South Oxford.

Mike.

South Oxford.

Mike.

But there is also a Thrupp wharf on the southern Grand Union, so if anybody just refers to Thrupp, it's never a bad idea to clarify which one is being talked about.........

Doh ive missed you im sat at the last lock in oxford going down Thames in the morning,was going to turn and go by dukes cut but can`t turn 62 around in a 50 hole89.gif

:lol: But you could easily drop out of the lock ( Isis ) spin it round and come back up.............

112.gif

Was closed when i got there last night

:lol: Hi

We shut at 5 hope to c u next time u pass bye.............. :lol:

:lol: But you could easily drop out of the lock ( Isis ) spin it round and come back up.............

:lol: Hi

We shut at 5 hope to c u next time u pass bye.............. :lol:

Now im at the end i might as well carry on

er... how come you all came past and didn't say hello!!!!!

Pah....

I could have waved at you!

Your boat appeared all locked up Friday night and Saturday morning. So I carried on cruising.

But there is also a Thrupp wharf on the southern Grand Union, so if anybody just refers to Thrupp, it's never a bad idea to clarify which one is being talked about.........

There is also a Trupp on the Thames & Severn canal but the canal is not yet in Water - hopefully not too long though.

Tim

Your boat appeared all locked up Friday night and Saturday morning. So I carried on cruising.

it was - I was in London... but normally my boat looks locked up and I am in...

are you coming back this way?

it was - I was in London... but normally my boat looks locked up and I am in...

are you coming back this way?

Currently at the Trout at Tadpole bridge, will not be coming back your way. Carrying on down the Thames for the rest of the month. Nearest stop could be the Trout Inn at Wolvercote again if there are moorings tommorrow night.

And two sets of Heyford's....

Simon.

Currently at the Trout at Tadpole bridge, will not be coming back your way. Carrying on down the Thames for the rest of the month. Nearest stop could be the Trout Inn at Wolvercote again if there are moorings tommorrow night.

I will be in Abingdon tomorrow night with Ocelot and Cobo

I think we passed you on Monday. We were going down stream on 23' springer, and you were travelling up? We started from Maybush pub at Newbridge (very helpful and accomodating landpeople!!), and went down to Iffley, then back to Dukes and back to the canal.

Or we might have seen you last week??? I recognise boat name and dogs!

I log onto the forum virtually everyday and I am constantly thinking where's that place and is it near here or variations on I haven't got a clue where that is. Yesterday was a classic example when Graham I think was stuck on a sand bar on the Trent and I hadn't got a clue where that was. The mention of Thrupp today was a killer blow, again hadn't got a clue so action man as ever straight into canal planAC enter Thrupp, low and behold map satelite the works in seconds magic! I always thought you had to put start and finish points in but thats not the case.

I passed you yesterday morning at 11 and you were no where to be seen - all curtains closed!

That will have been one of those incredibly rare times of the day/week when Bones was probably at w##k :lol:

Mine you... 11am - she was probably thinking about knocking off for the weekend have gotten to work for 10 :lol: