Attacked on the River Avon

Cris P

Featured Posts

Contrary to what you may think of me David I do not dislike young people.

However, I have worked hard for what I have and what I have achieved in my life. I have made commitments that most people would shy away from. Indeed I am working under conditions that 99% of people in the UK would find totally unacceptable. Not to mention the life threatening danger that living in Riyadh brings with it. You may remember the beheadings last year and the Brit that was shot in a car park (at the top of the road where I live) even Bob Scoggings who was shot while he was putting his car in his garage. I hate the idea but I carry a handgun on the 90 mile journey to work every day and even when I go shopping, you never know when it is your turn.

If, when I get back to the UK, any one tries to take or damage what I have spent  (and risked) my life working for, then I am sorry but he, or she, will have to accept that I am not going to let them get away with it. Actions have to be answered for. My boat will be my home and I will defend it in what ever manner I see fit. As long as I can justify the actions I take then the law is with me.

I wonder if you have ever stared at the sharp end of a broken bottle in the hands of some moron who is intent on making you look like an AA road map, well I have and no one will ever make me feel like that again. If you come on my boat with evil intent don't expect me to talk.

28598[/snapback]

Firstly, I never said that you personally disliked Young People, the comment was general. If the cap doesn't fit, then don't wear it.

Secondly, I understand where you are coming from but most of us have had to work hard for what we have achieved and have a right to protect that. However I cannot agree that when protecting one's property, the end automaticly justifies the means. Somewhere along the line personal principles and dignity comes into play.

And Thirdly, Yes I have faced the end of a broken bottle being waved under my nose and also a knife(twice). On each occassion I managed to talk my way out of being seriously injured. As a former CID Officer friend of mine once said "In a situation of conflict the best weapon is your mouth, not your fists". He was probably right.

Edited by David Schweizer

Firstly, I never said that you personally disliked Young People, the comment was general.

It depends how you read the posts

Secondly, I understand where you are coming from but most of us have had to work hard for what we have achieved and have a right to protect that. However I cannot agree that when protecting one's property, the end automaticly justifies the means. Somewhere along the line personal principles and dignity comes into play.

Personal principles and dignity go out of the window if some thug is kicking the crap out of you.

And Thirdly, Yes I have faced the end of a broken bottle being waved under my nose and also a knife(twice). On each occassion I managed to talk my way out of being seriously injured. As a former CID Officer friend of mine once said "In a situation of conflict the best weapon is your mouth, not your fists". He was probably right.

You are somewhat older than me so you will probably not remember the tail end of the 60's as I do. When a thug did not need an excuse to kick the crap out of someone just for being on the same street. There was no 'talking'. And your friend CID was wrong. In that situation I reckon I could still do a 4 minuite mile, or fairly close.

Ciao Dude

Maffi

You are somewhat older than me so you will probably not remember the tail end of the 60's as I do. When a thug did not need an excuse to kick the crap out of someone just for being on the same street. There was no 'talking'. And your friend CID was wrong. In that situation I reckon I could still do a 4 minuite mile, or fairly close.

Ciao Dude

Maffi

28619[/snapback]

At the tail end of the 60's I was working in three different Youth clubs in London so I certainly remember what it was like at the time. And as I am apparently much older than you, I also remeber the tail end of the Teddy Boy era when Teachers at my School were beaten up with bicycle chains, and Cinemas were destroyed by gangs of leather clad "thugs"

Reading all these historical anecdotes, it does not require an intelectual genius to resalise that there has always been a violent element within the Youth generation. It is not a new phenomena but it always seems worse when you are living through it.

P.S. As a member of the plain clothes under cover opertions in Bristol. I think that my fomer CID Police Officer friend probably has just a little more experience of potentially violent situations, than either of us so I am prepared to respect his analysis of the best approach towards such situations.

At the tail end of the 60's I was working in three different Youth clubs in London so I certainly remember what it was like at the time.  And as I am apparently much older than you, I also remeber the tail end of the Teddy Boy era when Teachers at my School were beaten up with bicycle chains, and Cinemas were destroyed by gangs of leather clad "thugs"

Reading all these historical anecdotes, it does not require an intelectual genius to resalise that there has always been a violent element within the Youth generation. It is not a new phenomena but it always seems worse when you are living through it.

P.S. As a member of the plain clothes under cover opertions in Bristol. I think that my fomer CID Police Officer friend probably has just a little more experience of potentially violent situations, than either of us so I am prepared to respect his analysis of the best approach towards such situations.

28660[/snapback]

Quote:

"I also remember the tail end of the Teddy Boy era when Teachers at my School were beaten up with bicycle chains, and Cinemas were destroyed by gangs of leather clad "thugs"".

Ah those where the days, we had proper hooligans then, makes a a bit of stone throwing and spitting seem quite tame.

P.S. Razors and studded belts too, don't forget them, they could do some real damage.

Edited by John Orentas

Quote:

P.S. Razors and studded belts too, don't forget them, they could do some real damage.

28669[/snapback]

You've forgotten the knuckle dusters, flick knives and steel capped boots, John

Then there were the Hell's Angels who attended one of the clubs I worked at. Their favoured weapons were sledge hammers, twin headed axes and a ball and chain on a pole.

Ah, for the good old days

Edited by David Schweizer

You've forgotten the knuckle dusters, flick knives and steel capped boots, John

Then there were the Hell's Angels who attended one of the clubs I worked at. Their favoured weapons were sledge hammers, twin headed axes and a ball and chain on a pole.

Ah, for the good old days

28674[/snapback]

Too young for the Teddy Boys,my time was Mods & Rockers. What were you?.

doc martins- flemings jeans-ben sherman-braces and shaved heads

boot boys ruled

we were not british national party thugs though

JUST THUGS IN GENERAL :unsure:  :blink:

28969[/snapback]

Ah yes the skinheads - late 1960's if I remember correctly. I had about sixty of them descend on the local Church Youth Club one evening, but they enjoyed the atmosphere so much, they returned every week.

I have an abiding memory of one evening which will remain with me until the day I die. They found some old country dancing records in the Records box and put one on the record player, they then started to fool around to the music, I asked if they would like to learn how to do the dances properly and they said yes. Imagine a Church Hall full of Skinhead boys dancing the Cumberland Square Eight and Strip the Willow etc. Unbelivable but perfectly true. It never happened again but does go to show that most "Hard Nuts" have soft centre, you just have to try and find it.

well ive worked hard all my life, steelworks ,shifts, nights, redundant then travelling 100 miles a day to earn a living,and finally getting enough money together plus a remortgage to buy my narrowboat.No way will i let anyone throw bricks and stones at it or my family and at 57yrs old im still fit enough to chase them on foot or on my bike but better still i have a .177 air pistol which i am prepared to use to defend my self and my property,this deterent is sufficient to make them stop and think.i would after using it throw the gun away and deny any knowledge of the incident,then go out and buy the latest walther replica gas powered and 8 shots MMMMMMMMMMMMMM it is cheaper than having my boat repainted glass replaced and my enjoyment spoiled,so do not put up with it act become active against this minority and it will cease when they realise we are not defenceless.

We have a shop in town that sells air powered pistols that fire multi bb pellets, you can get these in steel or plastic, i suspect the plastic ones would do the job but i think we would also get into a lot of bother for using it, i went in there to see how much a paint ball gun was as i was going to get one of them but i still think we would be the ones in trouble with the law.

I'm now thinking along the lines of a pump and some kind of water cannon, possibly connected to the black water tank :lol:

You must have heard or the old saying.....Like sh** sticks to a bandit... :D or was it blanket? :D

Edited by Richard Bustens

there is a man on the wirral merseyside if who paralysed from the waste down after he was shot with a bb gun.

getting out of his car with wife and child when someone fired at him,pellet entered his spinal column.probably done for a laugh as police insist the man had no involvement in criminal activities or had not to his knowledge caused upset to anyone.

nobody has been detained for the incident and the man is and will be for the rest of his life be in a wheelchair.

so although i agree with chris on his point that he wont put up with being attacked think about the end result before you take action.

i found a good slashing with a sharp knife produced the desired outcome with one particular meathead and the word went round very rapidly that i was more than willing to escalalate the situation and show i was madder than them.

a small prison sentence of cause ensued but if a bb gun had been invoved,well 5 yrs is your starter

Gaggle's absolutely right, shooting people is totally a disproportionate response given the physical damage you can cause, and what if an innocent party is caught in the cross fire? And what if the thugs turn on you - have you worked hard all your life to get stabbed to death before you have chance to enjoy your retirement?

Spray them with sh*t by all means, though! I love Richard's idea!

Edited by Breals

there is a man on the wirral merseyside if who paralysed from the waste down after he was shot with a bb gun.

getting out of his car with wife and child when someone fired at him,pellet entered his spinal column.probably done for a laugh as police insist the man had no involvement in criminal activities or had not to his knowledge caused upset to anyone.

nobody has been detained for the incident and the man is and will be for the rest of his life be in a wheelchair.

so although i agree with chris on his point that he wont put up with being attacked think about the end result before you take action.

i found a good slashing with a sharp knife produced the desired outcome with one particular meathead and the word went round very rapidly that i was more than willing to escalalate the situation and show i was madder than them.

a small prison sentence of cause ensued but if a bb gun had been invoved,well 5 yrs is your starter

29522[/snapback]

Ill just stick to my gun eh Aged Manager against some kid with a bad background MMM think not M lord eh!

We have a shop in town that sells air powered pistols that fire multi bb pellets, you can get these in steel or plastic, i suspect the plastic ones would do the job but i think we would also get into a lot of bother for using it, i went in there to see how much a paint ball gun was as i was going to get one of them but i still think we would be the ones in trouble with the law.

29518[/snapback]

You the holy guy 'lets pay for everything' advocating law breaking as a way of life? Christ. My knees tremble. BW's looking for gun slingers to enforce mooring regulations. Joining up Richard?

Ill just stick to my gun eh Aged Manager against some kid with a bad background MMM think not M lord eh!

Dear God, I hope there aren't many more people like you on the cut. I think I prefer the vandals...

As for the notion that you could get away with shooting kids because they come from bad backgrounds... our legal system isn't like that, thank Christ. To my mind I'd like to see people locked up for even possessing a weapon with intent to harm others.

Edited by Breals

Look, face reality here! You can't physically hurt someone else without punishment (isn't that what we're trying to show kids?!), so guns, knives, knuckle-dusters are out. We have to use wit, intelligence, lawful back-up, humour, distraction, cunning, conversation - in short ANYTHING except physical harm. The moment you sink to that, you are exactly the same as the person threatening you. The only time I think you can hurt someone is in defence of your life and how often is that really the case?

Look, face reality here! You can't physically hurt someone else without punishment (isn't that what we're trying to show kids?!), so guns, knives, knuckle-dusters are out. We have to use wit, intelligence, lawful back-up, humour, distraction, cunning, conversation - in short ANYTHING except physical harm. The moment you sink to that, you are exactly the same as the person threatening you. The only time I think you can hurt someone is in defence of your life and how often is that really the case?

29602[/snapback]

WRONG!

I’m perfectly happy to visit violence upon an aggressor in response to aggression towards me and mine, and I will use the maxim violence I can muster in the assumption that if I don’t hit the aggressor hard the first time he will recover and kill me.

This is not exactly the same as an aggressor attacking me without cause.

Edited by Amicus