Lift Bridges Single-handed

journeyperson

Featured Posts

I'm going to be heading up to Llangollen in a couple of weeks, once half term is over, and I'll be on my own during the week. I've never tackled a lift-bridge on my own and I imagine they're going to be quite awkward. The mechanism is usually on the off side of the bridge so I am expecting to take the bow rope with me, leaving the boat close up on the bridge, then pull, or hand it through once the bridge is up, grabbing the stern rope and securing it whilst I lower the bridge. I'm not too concerned about how long this all takes on the quiet farm track bridges, but I'm likely to hold the traffic up for a while at places like Wrenbury. Is there a better way to do it? I realise I could just hang around and wait for another boat to come through.

Just come back from Llangollen about an hour ago The lift bridges now have bollards either side of the bridge on the offside so it is quite easy to tie up to open and close them The best way on your own is to follow some one especally at Wrenbury and where they are close together by the Whitchurch armIt is now getting busyup there so there is often oncoming boats to leave the gates open for so just enjoy espcially if the weather improoves we had heavy rain every day

Just come back from Llangollen about an hour ago The lift bridges now have bollards either side of the bridge on the offside so it is quite easy to tie up to open and close them The best way on your own is to follow some one especally at Wrenbury and where they are close together by the Whitchurch armIt is now getting busyup there so there is often oncoming boats to leave the gates open for so just enjoy espcially if the weather improoves we had heavy rain every day

Thanks. I didn't know there were bollards on the off side. I think you're right about being able to co-ordinate with other boats and at Wrenbury I will certainly do that.

What you need is a Banbury Stick. I posted details of how to use one several years ago :-

"The soluton to the lift bridges on the Soutern Oxford is a Banbury Stick, a stout pole just under 6ft long which is wedged between the underside of the bridge and the cill on the towpath side (after the bridge has been lifted manually) this will give sufficient clearance for a boat to pass under it.

The original Banbury Sticks had a hole in them through which a strong rope, with a spliced eye on the loose end, was fixed. The rope was placed on the stonework at the side of the bridge after it had been lifted and the eye was dropped onto the towing dolly as the boat passed through. The moving boat then pulled the Stick from its location on the cill, and the bridge came down with a bang. It didn't do the bridge much good, but saved valuable time, I don't think BW would approve of that part of the operation these days."

Edited by David Schweizer

What you need is a Banbury Stick. I posted details of how to use one several years ago :-

"The soluton to the lift bridges on the Soutern Oxford is a Banbury Stick, a stout pole just under 6ft long which is wedged between the underside of the bridge and the cill on the towpath side (after the bridge has been lifted manually) this will give sufficient clearance for a boat to pass under it.

The original Banbury Sticks had a hole in them through which a strong rope, with a spliced eye on the loose end, was fixed. The rope was placed on the stonework at the side of the bridge after it had been lifted and the eye was dropped onto the towing dolly as the boat passed through. The moving boat then pulled the Stick from its location on the cill, and the bridge came down with a bang. It didn't do the bridge much good, but saved valuable time, I don't think BW would approve of that part of the operation these days."

And I'd probably manage to bring the whole thing down on my head! Interesting though. I'd need to see a demonstration to understand exactly how it worked.

Banbury sticks are no good on these bridges as they are not lift and hold up bridges but wind up and down with a windlass type

Yes, I thought that. I had a look at photos of the bridges on the Oxford Canal and they look to be a very different design.

Banbury sticks are no good on these bridges as they are not lift and hold up bridges but wind up and down with a windlass type

Don't worry......

Soon all of the Southern Oxford ones will be wind-up/wind-down. They're being fitted with hydraulics because of H&S reasons. The bl##dy worlds gone mad :lol:

Don't worry......

Soon all of the Southern Oxford ones will be wind-up/wind-down. They're being fitted with hydraulics because of H&S reasons. The bl##dy worlds gone mad :lol:

wil they put bollards in too for single handlers(currently at thrupp after arguing with lift bridges on the oxford) :lol:

but how do you lift the bridge to stick the stick in if your on the beams you cant get to the bridge before it drops down84.gif

Is there some etiquette for following other boats through lift bridges when you are single handed? I've got dodgy knees and can't nip about like I used to. I dare not go out single handed because

A) the traffic delays I would cause

B)Being seen to be taking advantage of others by sneaking through when someone else has opened the bridge

I'm the same with locks too.

Is there some etiquette for following other boats through lift bridges when you are single handed? I've got dodgy knees and can't nip about like I used to. I dare not go out single handed because

B)Being seen to be taking advantage of others by sneaking through when someone else has opened the bridge

Most of the time people are only too happy to help out, certainly with locks and I expect with bridges too. If someone is snooty with you they will be an exception to the rule. Give it a try.

With lift bridges, if there are two or three of you, surely the first opens and the last shuts - if there are three travelling together, then the middle one goes to the front, the front drops to the back ( and shuts the first bridge) and rotation continues .. seems courteous and fair - as you only do one in three and have to stop only once in 3 - depends on how far each is going though and at the end of the day what does it matter ?

Nick

With lift bridges, if there are two or three of you, surely the first opens and the last shuts -

That's fine if you have crew, but arriving at a bridge first, single handed, I expect you will experience the problems I was anticipating in the opening post.

That's fine if you have crew, but arriving at a bridge first, single handed, I expect you will experience the problems I was anticipating in the opening post.

You would still have to pull up to the bridge and get off on the off-side to open it, but at least you could then get back on the boat and let the person following close it.

I'm often single-handed and my experience is just to talk to them. If you 'hitched a ride' through locks or bridges without saying anything, leaving them to do all the work they might get uppity. If you ask if you can join them and explain your limitations, most people will be happy to help.

You would still have to pull up to the bridge and get off on the off-side to open it, but at least you could then get back on the boat and let the person following close it.

Yes, I can see that will work ok. I will be setting off on Sunday and will just take each bridge as it comes, as I do with locks. As you say, talking and explaining your situation is a good start.

that would be fine if the bridge would stay open these ones down here dont

I'm often single-handed and my experience is just to talk to them. If you 'hitched a ride' through locks or bridges without saying anything, leaving them to do all the work they might get uppity. If you ask if you can join them and explain your limitations, most people will be happy to help.

I think you'll be fine on the Llangollen. It's generally so busy that you can 'hitch a ride' with a hire crew. It's what I did last year, and as people have said that if you explain you're on your own people are generally happy to assist.

But how does a single-hander manage the lift bridge on the Northampton Arm? A system of chains and heavy counterweights which one is supposed to lift and place on the balance beam at the same time as pulling on the chains to lift the bridge. I couldn't lift more than one weight at a time, and certainly not above my head which is where the balance beam had reached when the first weight was on the ground. Eventually fetched a number of ropes and karabiners from the boat to haul and fix the beam. Anyone else had trouble here? I'm not an H&S enthusiast, but I felt this an accident waiting to happen.

(But I did do the first 12 locks before breakfast! :lol: )

Mac

With lift bridges, if there are two or three of you, surely the first opens and the last shuts - if there are three travelling together, then the middle one goes to the front, the front drops to the back ( and shuts the first bridge) and rotation continues .. seems courteous and fair - as you only do one in three and have to stop only once in 3 - depends on how far each is going though and at the end of the day what does it matter ?

Nick

That only works if the bridges aren't fitted with locks that retain your key until you have reclosed the bridge. If you know the others you can swap keys etc but if you are with strangers, or passing boats coming the other way, you have to resign yourself to becoming temporary unpaid bridgekeeper.

George ex nb Alton retired

The lift bridges were as awkward as I had envisaged but there were only two occasion where I was alone and everyone I met was very helpful, as soon as people realise you are on your own they go out of their way to assist. Finally reached the promised land this morning and am moored in Llangollen marina. Just idyllic.

llangollen2.jpg

And I'd probably manage to bring the whole thing down on my head! Interesting though. I'd need to see a demonstration to understand exactly how it worked.

I did! I was on my own coming into Oxford needing to get somewhere I could moor for the night. I figured I could nose up to the bridge, lift the bridge, wedge it up on my shoulders/head long enough to rope the boat through, then drop it. Sadly, just as the boat was past the point of no return but not close enough to grab, I dropped the rope! So there I was at dusk with a lift bridge comfortably balanced on my head with my boat, replete with crushable bike, canoe, plants etc on the roof, just out of reach below me, waiting for a helpful passer by... Luckily after five minutes or so in this embarrassing and no doubt dangerous predicament such a person appeared to rope the boat back and rescue me. Silly, silly girl - I won't be doing THAT again!!

I did! I was on my own coming into Oxford needing to get somewhere I could moor for the night. I figured I could nose up to the bridge, lift the bridge, wedge it up on my shoulders/head long enough to rope the boat through, then drop it. Sadly, just as the boat was past the point of no return but not close enough to grab, I dropped the rope! So there I was at dusk with a lift bridge comfortably balanced on my head with my boat, replete with crushable bike, canoe, plants etc on the roof, just out of reach below me, waiting for a helpful passer by... Luckily after five minutes or so in this embarrassing and no doubt dangerous predicament such a person appeared to rope the boat back and rescue me. Silly, silly girl - I won't be doing THAT again!!

More fraught than anything I had to cope with! I think someone posted a photo with you on quite recently and judging from that you came out of the experience looking just fine :lol:

• 1 month later...

I did my first few single handed recently. Two were DIY hydraulic with the pumps on the non towpath side and the third was key operated with the control panel on the towpath side - so very simple.

For the DIY bridges I stopped and got off on the towpath with my bow line which I tied to the railing while I lifted the bridge a few inches. This allowed me to pass the bow line under the bridge and tie it to the railing on the departure side. You can walk on the bridge while it is lifted a little. I then lifted the bridge fully and, from the bridge side pulled the boat through with the bow line. However that only got the boat through about 1/3rd. I had tied my centre roof line to my stern line and had placed it so I could reach it before I had to release the bow line. I then had a long line to haul the boat through the rest of the way. By separating the centre and stern lines I was then able to tie the stern line to the rail on the departure side. This held the boat while I let the bridge down. Slow but effective. I think for the future I will buy a special line that I can tie from the bow to the stern as it will be easier to have it accessible all the time than the centre line/stern line as th centre fitting is really fitted too far back.

Earlier in the year I travelled the Oxford can with crew. As far as I could see there was always a point on the ground that the bridge could be tied down to. I have been wondering whether a long rope and a couple of pulley blocks could be fixed in place while the bridge is down and then used to pull the bridge up from the towpath side?